xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
irwan6179

Overclocking Notebook is it possible?

hi there, i wonder if notebook can be overclocked.. like cpu or the graphic card, or may the fsb and the cpu... do you where i can get the software to do this... here if the specification of my laptop... please advice:

Inntel Centrino 2.13 GHz processor, 2 MB L2 Cache

512 MB DDR SDRAM memory

ATI Mobility Fire GL 5000

the model is compaq nw8240\

-----Removed your double topic and double post B) -----szupie

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

Not good idea. i asked about it before for my laptop.It's really not worth it for the slight increase you'll gain in power, and having to deal with increased heat issue, high fan speeds and noise, shorter component life, etc. basically what i think it boils down to is that there just isn't the appz for properly cooling down overclocked pieces in the confined space of a notebook.

It depends, if you want to overclock your CPU, you have to do that in the BIOS settings of your motherboard (which can be accessed during the boot process of your computer). OR, there are also some programs that can overclock cpu's through windows, but since those programs differ per motherboard, you have to look at the site of your motherboard manufacturer.

Graphic cards are different, since you have a ATI card, you can use a program called ATI tool ( https://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ ). This program has the ability to automatically overclock your card to its maximum, so you don't have to do anything.

PS. overclocking a notebook isn't too recommended because they already have a reasonably weak cooling so you might want to pay extra attention to your system temps while overclocking

I would go further and say that overclocking is overrated ..it has been established that its not the clock spped of system which dictates the performance , but overall design (choice of I/O, sycned memory etc)I would suggest that you dont overclock any thing at all. System Designers of a good chip making company do their best to get optimal performance out of a chip (but if chip is used badly in some ARCH its another story)Why do you want to overclok your CPU any ways ...are u a gamer. If so I would recomend you to get a seprate machine for gaming which u can play around with. If you wana overclokc ur Desktop then u would have room for alot of cooling stuff..so ur system remains ..well sane and alive. I have blown my Motherboard once by overclocking ..and will probably never do it again B)

Everything is possible, it'll just take you some time.I realy doubt if the BIOS supports any overclocking options, you'll have to do it with software overclocking (you can try clockgen, CPUFSB, ...)Graphics card can be overclocked easily with atitool (see jipmans post).There are a few downside, first of all is that the time you can work on battery is shortend. Secundo, things might heat up a bit, you'll have to run an application to check system/cpu and vga temperature (speedfan and atitool).About shortened life span, don't worry too much about it. If it doesn't run too hot and you didn't pushed it to the edge, it will still last 5 years or something.E.g. my cpu is 3 (?) years old now, it has had voltages from 1.1 to 2.2v (2.2 because it crashed when altering voltages in 8rdavcore, so only for short time).It ran for months @ 1.8v and ran a few days at 1.95v.Same for the ram, it ran a long time at 2.9v (from 2.6V).

I would go further and say that overclocking is overrated ..it has been established that its not the clock spped of system which dictates the performance , but overall design (choice of I/O, sycned memory etc)

1064322889[/snapback]

It's not just a faster CPU, but in doing so you also often increase the FSB (the speed that the memory talks to the CPU .. hence the need for fast, ideally low-latency RAM in doing this). This can improve performance of some FPS's.

Related to this, I'm not sure what hassle it'd be to try and find appropriate overclocking RAM for laptops .. and I agree that without decent space for cooling, overclocking is probably pointless .. unless you're lucky enough to find a really overclockable chip (the equivalent of a P4C, for example, that can be overclocked quite a bit even just using air cooling).

Personally, I'd just buy a decent desktop to overclock, and have a laptop for mundane productivity stuff on the move .. my laptop doesn't even have a proper (NV/ATI) GPU in it .. so my advise is probably not the most appropriate for ya.

Overclocking new laptop systemOverclocking Notebook

Is it wise to overclock an new laptop system (bought it 1 week ago its an N61VG ASUS )

My graphic card is above normal ( Nvidia 220M 1GB dedicated RAM ),it plays games without lag like assasins creed Pro evo soccer 10. But is it good enough to  play mafia 2 or crysis with higher graphical details. It runs with intel duo core 2.2 gHz but the recommended requirement are 2,4Ghz, will this result in a lower grahical gameplay or is it lagging to much to play a descent game ?

Grtz  

-reply by Dany

Overclock notebookOverclocking Notebook

To overclock any ATI graphics card, you may want to use Rivatuner, To overclock the processor , ClockGen. I have a notebook computer and the bios does not allowd me to overclock in windows or in the bios.. And be carefull because notebooks don't have coolers or fans powerfull enough to support the temperatures of an overclock.

I have allready overclocked my desktop computer , the processor is:

Intel Pentium IV HT  3.0Ghz

FSB - 100Mhz

Rated FSB 400Mhz

RAM - 400Mhz

Graphics card - Nvidia G-Force 6200 256MB

With Overclock-----------------------------------

Using ClockGen:

Processor - 3.0 up to 5.23Ghz

FSB - 133Mhz

Rated FSB - 666Mhz

RAM - 666Mhz