xisto Community
HTML_Guru

Good Spyware Combo Its a 1-2 punch

I actually used to use this spyware combo in my old computer, and it happens to be a really good one. The main spyware program that you need to first get is called Spybot S & D, which is a free spyware blocker and deleter program. It's a very handy program, and it can be found at this address: security.kolla.de. You can download it for free, and it has some credentials, which is a plus. Then, the next bit to get to finish it off is the Spyware Blaster. Spyware Blaster is a free spyware install preventer, if you will. With the both of them, you get a pretty much unbeatble wall of spyware protection. The location of the Spyware Blaster is:http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html. Those two products actually work together, so it doesn't get much better.

Oh, and you can find different download sites for those, those just happen to be the main sites.

Where's your antivirus program though? You only mentioned two programs for spyware prevention/removal but nothing on the antivirus.I have these on my laptop right now:Grisoft AVG - antivirusZoneAlarm - firewall (this is a must these days)Ad-aware - antispyware (detects and removes)Spybot S&D - similar to Ad-awareSpywareBlaster - spyware preventionIf you use SpywareBlaster there's really no need to use the Immunize feature in Spybot S&D since they should be included already ... and more ;)

Stop using Internet Eplorer and u wont need Anti-Spyware programs.(most of the time). And watch where u go on the internet.

"Watch where you go on the internet", he says...

Rich.

No, but seriously, nowadays, it would seem rather difficult to actually "watch" where you go on the internet. Sure, you can adjust your internet settings, etc., etc., etc., but when you get to point of it, many sites and hackers have discovered ways to access your computer besides just having you watch where you go. A seemingly good, valid site could be infecting your computer or monitoring you via your computer. And while this isn't a large enough threat yet that it should be necessary for you to give your computer "vitamins" out the wazoo, you should very well be paying attention to any unsimilarities in your computer, as well as cleaning your computer as much as necessary.

This is what I have on my computer and is very safe. I rarely get spyware nowadays...Firefox w/ Adblock (with filter) and No Script extensionsAd-Aware SE (I rarely use it since I get no spyware)NortonDo not use IE. It sucks, period.

Well, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I've used solely I.E., except for when I was in Elementary school, where they used Netscape, and I still find Internet Explorer to be a really good tool. It has it's ups and downs, sure, but if you really have that much trouble with I.E., you should check to see if there is some other, indirect problem, that may perhaps be causing that.Still, opinions to each their own... (or am I saying it wrong?)

I actually used to use this spyware combo in my old computer, and it happens to be a really good one.  The main spyware program that you need to first get is called Spybot S & D, which is a free spyware blocker and deleter program.  It's a very handy program, and it can be found at this address: security.kolla.de.  You can download it for free, and it has some credentials, which is a plus.  Then, the next bit to get to finish it off is the Spyware Blaster.  Spyware Blaster is a free spyware install preventer, if you will.  With the both of them, you get a pretty much unbeatble wall of spyware protection.  The location of the Spyware Blaster is:http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html.  Those two products actually work together, so it doesn't get much better.

Oh, and you can find different download sites for those, those just happen to be the main sites.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

use Ad-Aware, S&D is useless. If you have a firewall then you dont need zonealarm or trend micro (If you dont have a firewall vice versa). CCleaner is a good file cleaner upper and cleans out the registry too. It also allows you to control what starts up when windows starts up and lets you delete entrys or uninstall programs not shown in the uninstall menu.

Actually, Spybot S & D and Spyare Blaster are a good, useful combo, but I appreciate your "slight-mini-rant"... ;)

However, I'm not saying Ad-Aware is bad, because I haven't used it as much so I don't know as much about it.

Adaware and Spybot combo is definately good. But I will suggest to add one more item in this list. That is Spyware Blaster, it will not search and destroy spywares but it will block them entering your computer at first place.But the most important feature for not getting spywares is to use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, you will surprise by seeing the result.

Well, my 1-2 punch is based on Spybot S&D as well, but in my case I complet the second strike with ad-aware, either way I've heard of spywareblaster before, so I'm willing to give it a try.I also heard the Microsoft's Utility (I don't even know the name) is actually very good... anyone has a word on this?

That's the thing. Most users have spyware problems because they are still using Internet Explorer. Even with the minor tweaks to help prevent spyware infections are not working perfectly. Scripts run in the background and something else is installed. An alternative browser like Mozilla Firefox or even Opera would be a better alternative as some mentioned earlier.You can never be safe using IE since it's being targetted the most. You must get all the latest patches and even then you're still vulnerable.If you have a good antivirus, firewall and antispyware program, I would say that you are 99% safer already. Each has their own purpose to keeping your computer safe and although none are perfect, they will be very useful in detering most of these infections.rantsh, the antispyware program that Microsoft has is Microsoft AntiSpyware. I don't recommend users to use this program anymore as they seem to made an agreement with a spyware/adware company. Now instead of setting those spyware/adware related files to remove/delete, it's set to Ignore in the Microsoft AntiSpyware program...which is not what we want since we want them gone. Install and run it if you wish, but I say use Ad-aware and Spybot since those two will basically catch most of the known ones out there.

I use Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, the combo works pretty well. I almost never get spyware anymore (not using IE helps a ton too!). I also use ZoneAlarm for firewall (in addition to the hardware firewall), so even if my comp got infected, it wouldn't be able to connect to the internet (without permission.)

I love Spybot and Blaster, but Ad-aware is still needed. (you need multiple instances to remove the most of the **** you have on your computer.)

I wish I could do the same with Anti-Virus.. but they conflict..
If you find odd files on your harddrives and your AV / Spyware programs can't find anything.
Try this link out, you upload a file, and it checks it with multiple programs. Really useful if you get some kind of new virus.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

AlrightSoToday I finally realize that my computer is horribly unprotected and probably not gonna last much longer... UNLESSI've downloaded many of the things that have been mentioned on this page hereSo basically, I hope they're all good recommendations, I've only downloaded the ones which people seem to agree as good things to use