xisto Community
rantsh

Xp Service Pack 2 Is it worth it?

Do you like SP2???  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think SP2 Is definitly worth it. Windows was so unstable when it came out, and Microsoft no longer supports pre-SP1, and they will probally soon stop supporting SP1 also.So it takes forever to download, just set it up overnight, or get broadband (that's what I did)You probally want to keep that balloon, and listen to it. The updates are important. Windows is so flawed, that without these updates, it is very easy to have your computer hacked / "killed".

I'm running SP1 for months and I NEVER had a sercurity issue, it even isn't always up-to-date.What most people forget is that the user makes the system (un)safe. What are you with alerts if you ignore them ? Most important thing is not to spread all your information on the internet, do not subsribe to maliscious sites/mails and use opensource/free software.I use Opera for internet and mail, mercury for IM, I'm behind a router + Sygate PF and I have avast installed and lets not forget adaware and s&d.Keeps me safe, w/o SP2(p.s. I might sound a bit aggressive, but I've just written an essay about it for school which is written contra-M$, so I'm now in an aggressive mood B) )

Working as an IT administrator in a company with more than 400 machines we tried our hardest not to get it. After a certain time though due to us using remote update via the server sp2 got pushed onto us and we had to distribute it oout to all the machines. Now to tell you the truth i dont know what all the fuss was about with it, i heard a lot of bad rumours about it. Since installing it on all the machines, i will say we have had one problem, it stopped encarta working on any machine.imagine that, a confliction problem with a piece of their own software! We have since upgraded to the 2005 version and no problems there. All in all it seems to be an ok update no real problems bar the one mentioned. but personally i'd prefer if our company would just chuck windows and head over to linux. would make my life easier (not so many problems!)

Windows is flawed, lets face it, maybe the world would be better off if there was an enron like situation in microsoft. At the same time, that would cause a huge economic problem, so Microsoft is going to remain the leader for now. SP2 does have some security fixes, and chances are you won't see them. The only problem I encountered with SP2 is that I can't get some tunneling software to work. If you are already behind all sorts of security, or behind corporate servers, hopefully they will take care of information well enough that you will be safe.Oh, and at least XP dosen't have as many service packs as Windows 2000.and who knows, maybe you've been hacked, and you don't know about it?

I myself have a deep rooted hate for all things Microsoft. That aside, i do find SP2 to be reliable. I havent had any exposure to SP1 since i went from running 98 (which i still prefer) to XP SP2 on my new laptop. It hasnt given me even a bit of trouble, aside from being almost to user friendly. I dont have any problems, then again, SP1 may run better, but ill never know.

Well, you need at least Service Pack One now to get updates, and when service pack three comes out, that means you will probally have to upgrade to service pack two, or (my preferred choice) upgrade to Vista.and I have heard that as far as the firewall goes, SP2 has the same as SP1, just with a newer UI, is this true?

One night I have found that my windows XP have been automatically updated to windows XP SP2. I have found the features of SP2 very good like the new Firewall and the pop up blocker in the internet explorer.But I have seen than in some of computers the system crashes out after installing sp2 and they have to format their system. It don't work even after switching back to last known configuration. In the last I would say that it is worth to update your xp to sp2.