xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
szupie

Firefox 1.5 On September 8th

Mozilla is releasing the first beta for Firefox 1.5 on September 8th!

I've tried the Deer Park Alpha 2, and it had a great improvement over Firefox 1.x. The thing I like most about it is the tab-reordering feature. It's going to be included in the Beta Release. Another good thing is the updates system. You no longer have to download the whole Firefox after 1.5, just a small patch. Good news for dial-up users.

Mozilla usually doesn't set release dates, they say it's easy to have delayed schedules that would dissappoint us. I don't know why they did it this time. Maybe it's because they are confident that the dates will be right. I'm looking forward to download this release.

Edit: Ooh, I forgot. You can read more about the release dates of other betas here.

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

It's great they are updating firefox. As I read, the Firefox 1.5 beta will only have bug fixes and no other notable features. I normally don't update firefox as they release new versions. I updated to the latest version because it supported RSS. And thunderbird I'm still on 0.8!Right now I'm downloading Thunderbird 1.0.6 ;) It looks promising.Die hard firefox users might not shift again. But some are likely to switch to IE if M$ introduces RSS and tabs in IE7. Just because they are lazy to dowload another browser. Mozilla should take that note and be a step ahead of M$ by introducing some new features. Still Firefox doesn't have the power of Opera browsers. I would like the day they make me shift to firefox from opera. ;)

nice having a new firefox. im not a firefox users but everybody says good things about it. may ill download one, after the new released. i wonder if hackers use the advantage that ffx is new and find a way to touch us. what do u think?

Firefox and Opera are my favorite browsers so far. I prefere Opera's layout, but Firefox can view some sites (especially java scripted ones) which Opera cant. So it's usefull for me to have both browsers programms. I really hope the newest version will be worth using it ;)

According to szupie if it is true that after firefox 1.5 there will be no need of downloading the full browser everytime they will update , than it is very good . Dial-up users like me will welcome this feature very well. I am already using firefox since one year and I have never use IE after that. Opera is also promising but can't be compared to firefox because there is an ad in the free version and some sites also not displayed correct in it.

I hate firefox with a passion, none of the sites I makes work on it at all. All the frames are usually messed up and i can never really get anything done at all.Boycott Firefox for webmasters because its very hard to use, for making sites off programs like frontpage, etc.

Heh, well, Frontpage doesn't support standards very well, if at all. The sites you make with Frontpage are made for Internet Explorer. That is one of the strategies that Microsoft uses to make people stick with IE. It is not Firefox's fault it doesn't read Frontpage codes just like it's not an American's fault he doesn't understand a German (Wow, nice comparison, huh? ;) ). Code with web standards, and they will work in all browsers.

I hate firefox with a passion, none of the sites I makes work on it at all. All the frames are usually messed up and i can never really get anything done at all.

Boycott Firefox for webmasters because its very hard to use, for making sites off programs like frontpage, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem is that Firefox almost completely supports most of the W3C standards, such as CSS 2, while IE either doesn't support them at all or implements them very oddly. Making sites that look good on both browsers is a very frustrating and time consuming process.

BTW, will the new Firefox get rid of that annoying alert window when you can't contact a site? ;)

I hate firefox with a passion, none of the sites I makes work on it at all. All the frames are usually messed up and i can never really get anything done at all.

As Szupie has said, Firefox completely adheres to CSS standards. Also, you have extensions for firefox such as 'launchy', 'web developer' and 'validator' which help web developers who are trying to develop standards compliant web pages. That's the reason I'm sticking to Firefox, because of the extensions and the ease of use... even though it is a bit slow at loading and uses up a whole lot of RAM (even more than IE).

BTW, will the new Firefox get rid of that annoying alert window when you can't contact a site?

You can get rid of it now itself... go here and download firetune. This has a load of optimizations for firefox and one of them happens to be getting rid of that annoying popup window when it doesn't connect to a site. There is a way to change it by typing 'about:config' in the address bar, but it's easier this way, because firetune let's you make a backup of your present firefox configuration so that you can restore it if it gets screwed by some chance.

its the best secure web browser around, and I pity those webmasters who can only design a web page in frontpage.. wake up... get some books and just grow up.... Its the end users who decide... Democracy ;)

To Retaining: When I was using Deer Park Alpha 2, they did disable the popups. I'm pretty sure that they are leaving that as the default configuration for Firefox 1.5 releases.

As Szupie has said, Firefox completely adheres to CSS standards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I never said it completely follows CSS... It didn't pass the Acid2 Test. That test is so hard, there are currently only 3 browsers that can pass it. I think they're Konquerer, Safari and... I don't remember the last one, but it's another Mac browser. Deer Park Alpha 2 didn't pass the test either.

Boycott Firefox for webmasters because its very hard to use, for making sites off programs like frontpage, etc.

I would advise you to dump frames. They are too old fashioned. It's better to shift to tables. But even better if you can shift to standards. Use divs and css. With frames you can get the scrolling effect. And you can do that in css. You can make the page to scroll while another element say the menu is fixed. You can do it by:
#menu{position: fixed;}
Sadly that is css2 which doesn't work in IE. IE is an old fashioned browser freezed in time and looks like to be struck there forever.
If you are developing web pages. Quit Frontpage and use a decent editor, a text editor if you are comfortable. And remember to check your pages in Mozilla then after it works correctly check with IE and add some hacks to tweak.

Well, I never said it completely follows CSS... It didn't pass the Acid2 Test. That test is so hard, there are currently only 3 browsers that can pass it. I think they're Konquerer, Safari and... I don't remember the last one, but it's another Mac browser. Deer Park Alpha 2 didn't pass the test either.

KHTML based browsers passed the Acid2 Test. Wow That's something new to me. Opera couldn't render that face correctly.

Yeah Firefox is currently the best browser and I think it will be too with the next update. If you want your Firefox to be more secured: go to https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us.aspx. It has a surfright.exe which protects you even more against virus and trojans. It also combines spyware removers such as AdAware in a perfect way. A must for your computer ;) . The only thing is: it is a Dutch site so you Englishmen will only know the word "download" ;)