xisto Community
half1405241509

Man Dies From Playing World Of Warcraft Gaming? Harmful?

wow.. he must have been really involved in the game.. surely a short trip to the fridge for some food or drink couldn't hurt.When i play games (i usually play fps games) and i'm hungry, within the respawn time i take a quick trip to the fridge. get something to eat and eat while playing.. simple.. and its only a game.. someone doesnt have to try and finish it, after all it is only for enjoyment, it doesn't become something like a job, like you HAVE to finish it.Very strange

This is not new, like you say in korea happens a lot. But its a stupidity. a Break for 5 minutes just to eat or drink was that so impossible ? be awake for 48 hours isn't hard, i alreday taked a weekend with out a quick stop in bed and i'm not dead and i was working all day long, and night i went to Carnival Party for 2 nigths ahead and even went to play soccer. Of course that when i layed down the bed in Sunday evening i only waked up monday night. But at least i had good meals. Heheh cheers.

I saw something familiar to this before. Some guy committed suicide because something went wrong with his Everquest account. Everquest took no responsibility for it because the guy didn't say anything before he died. His mom know that it was Everquest that made him do it. I mean seriously, it's everquest! Get over it!

Well I've been playing MMO's for over two years now and I can certainly attest to the dangers they pose for addictive play. I actually know someone who owns a doctorate in computer science and recently went to a conference where one of the topics at hand is how to make games more addictive. I also know of a teenager who was recently introduced to WOW and, within a year, was diagnosed as having borderlined ADHD. This and the WoW-related death is absolutely no joke. Who is to blame? Is this like the fast food analogy? Do we blame McDonald's or those who eat at Mcdonald's? Where does corporate responsibility end and personal responsibility begin? Tough questions are asked of all of us. Tough questions to be answered responsibly by all of us gamers...

I was reading the paper today about a man in South Korea who went on a 50 hour binge playing World of Warcraft and died of heart failure, caused by dehydration and starvation. Can video games become so engrossing that it numbs all effects such as hunger, thirst, or pain? It's hard to believe that he would not...

WOW! Someone died from a video game. Now that's just sad. The topic name sounded like he may had givin away his personal details and then was being stocked and killed but playing a game 50 hours strait that's unbelievable! I can understand 30 minutes strait (that's my record lol). Well if I lived in S.Korea I would be the opposite of a computer geek. I thought I was crazy when I played runescape for 4 hours this one day (total but I had lunch and hung out with friends in between). The funny thing is one time I was at my friends house and it was like 9 P.M. and we were going to go to bed (after he wanted to try a hack for the game) well that's a different story, but we saw another one of our friends on and then the next morning at 7:30 a.m. that same kid was still on! I was like WOW! Since then I find this post actually somewhat believable. Laugh out load!

I was addicted to a game a few years ago...the Sims. When the Sims2 came out, I was just as addicted. Like other people has said though, your body still tells you "hey stupid, go to the bathroom" or "i will eat you inside out if you don't feed me". I wonder if the guy was in good health though. Usually game manuals say somewhere to check with your doctor first to see if the game is suitable for you. Does anyone do that (minus maybe people with epileptic seizures)? Most likely not.My boyfriend plays FFXI online and I laugh every single time he logs on because there is this little message that says something to the effect of: There is a life outside of FFXI. Do not neglect your friends and family. It is a lot longer than that, but that is the general idea.I feel sorry for the guy because he died, but I find it kind of amazing that he would not think about himself in the way of his needs.

If this is indeed true (which I will most likely not believe 100% unless I see some more solid proof), then this man is mentally unstable. What kind of person is able to knowingly and willingly go without water and nourishment, not to mention a restroom break? No person in a normal state of mind could even attempt this.So, this does bring up the issue: can videogames cause you to be unstable?

It is interesting how video games can cause such dependence that one neglects the basic necessities of life. On the other hand, this is believable if it is truly considered an addiction or dependence. Severe malnutrition, legal problems, social dysfunction are often indirect effects of alcohol or narcotic abuse, not necessarily direct biologic effects of the substances.But similar to everyone else, I am at awe at how addictive a video game can become.

Well, unless such incidents start happening more often, I don't think the blame lies with the game developers. If indeed there is a connection between playing a certain kind of game and dying, then the authorities better act quickly. Hehe... the devil might be infiltrating the cyberspace... :)Now, for those isolated incidents, has anybody considered that he/she was actually suicidal in the first place? Like what countless of people has mentioned in this topic, your body would tell you to take a break, like going to the bathroom. I can play games for more than 10 hours at one go, especially at night, where I play right till the morning or afternoon. But sooner or later, you would feel hungry. Or at least thirsty. Unless of course, that person is already suicidal or mightily depressed that he/she chose to ignore what their body is telling them and continue playing. That is when they run the danger of dying from playing games.So, unless there is more evidence showing the correlation between playing games and dying, I think we should just leave the game companies alone. Let them develop more addictive games becoz that is what we want. Or at least, what I want. What illini319 said, about McDonalds... I disagree. Obesity is no longer an isolated incident but an epidemic, if I may use that word. I mean, if I would to eat McDonalds for lunch and dinner, would I exceed the daily recommended calories intake?