xisto Community
IWroteCode

Is Bittorrent Safe?

Your knowledge and opinions on Bittorrent please. I've used it till recently when my father discovered of its use and shut it down. He is extremely paranoid of any P2P program (had to play system admin one too many times) and won't allow any on the network. He thinks that anyone can get into his personal files and data by me using Bittorrent. Is his assumption true? I know some of the torrents include spyware etc but then again, can't any download? Is Bittorrent itself safe to use - provided that the download is clean?Thanks.

As for your fathers fear that someone can get into his personal files and stuff just tell him that If someone (hacker of some sort) wants to invade his PC and get to his personal files they realy realy realy do NOT need any p2p program to do so if he`s a target they WILL get in one way or another.

To answer your question, no BitTorrent will not get any data from your computer (assuming that the download is clean like you said). Careful on the torrent program that you are getting though. If it's just the original BitTorrent program, then you should be ok. There are a few out there that contain spyware, just for your information.

I've got the same problem. My father is afraid that his personal files will be corrupted or stolen, he don't have any on this computer but he's still saying it. But on the other hand he don't buy any firewall or router.

Bittorrent don't touch that kind of files so he shouldn't be scared for that. The only danger of P2P programs is that there could be some files that aren't clean and can contain a trojan or virus. Bittorrent is also quite safe on that point (more then programs like Kazaa for example) and I think you'll more likely get something from a normal site then from Bittorrent.

Like Elforeal said their are many, many other ways for a cracker to get into your computer if he wants to do that. (not a hacker like he said, hackers won't harm anybody, they do it to test systems. Crackers are the guys that create much troubles in this world)

_=jeroen=_

What you also can do is use an zipped version of the bit torrent program. (bit comet is good for that) unzip it to a temporary directory, download your stuff, and when you're done, re-zip the programfiles back into the zip, and locking it with a password or something. That way, you can still get your files and prevent your father from knowing you've been downloading.;)

If you are using a commonly known decent torrent program (like BitComet, Azureus or BitTornado) it is far more likely that programs like Internet Explorer will leak data than it. Bitttorrent in itself isn't any more dangarous than some other network traffic.What has given p2p programs a bad name security wise is that often people try to use them to spread malicious software and that some programmers have bumdled spyware with the clientsoftware. But like I said, as long as you stick to programs that are known to be spyware free and otherwise secure as well AND pay attention what you download and what trackers you use you should be safe. By the way, you can tell your dad that the only way that he can absolutely safely protect his files from not getting to Internet is taking a pair of clippers to the network cable.

I've been using bittorrent for quite a while now, and I've shared probably more than 50GB with it, under Windows XP, and 98... I've never had a problem with it, never lost any information or anything (I've ran it without any firewall on).Bittorrent is an open source software, meaning that there are hundreds of programmers around the world involved in the development, improvement and revision of this software, so I don't think they're involved in a hidden conspiracy or plot against p2p users.Besides, I read something on the first reply something that I think it's absolutely right, if a hacker wants to crack into your system, it doesn't matter if you're running BT or not. He/she will probably exploit some other fault that your system might have, like if you're on the web without a firewall or with a poorly configured firewall.Bottomline, on my personal opinion, BT is a great tool to share data and software. Hope you can fix the issues with your father and that my opinion comes usefull to you...

On Windows ... Bit Torrent is scarry there are many hacks possible which are there in open... So Wouldnt advise.. unless you have a very good controlled Firewall...On Linux.. selinux helps...but can be achieved with a firwall also....

Thanks for all your input guys...

The zip/unzip idea, although clever, wouldn't work in my situation.

He "monitors" the router and whenever it's flashing alot he goes to see who's using all the bandwith. Bittorrent downloads are extremely slow for me since he's got the router's ports locked down - (highest ul/dl I've gotten is 26/24kbs). Downloads (usually) take days to complete and I wouldn't be at the computer to monitor them 247.

PS: Yes, I've tried configuring the router...he's password protected it.

I have to say that Bittorrent won't get into your files. I mean, not the program or that guy in the BT site would be sued and beat to death. As for the files that have been shared or are sharing, I have to say you should check it for viruses/trojans/backdoor programs first.Here - this might clarify a bit...You'll need a firewall (software, hardware, doesn't matter which) because this can help your computer from sending/receiving data packets from or to certain programs or files. This is a good way to prevent some program sending files over the Net to someone else's computer.Sygate Personal Firewall (there is a free version) is a very good one. I have been using it for almost a year now ;)

The program bit torrent is very safe. Now the files on the other hand, they can contain viruses and sorts without knowing it. It sucks to downlaod something just to see it contains some sort of virus in it. So it's not really in terms of the program, but the files you download, just like limewire and sorts. So just watch out what files you download, and stay away from obvious ones.

Bittorrent downloads are extremely slow for me since he's got the router's ports locked down - (highest ul/dl I've gotten is 26/24kbs).  Downloads (usually) take days to complete and I wouldn't be at the computer to monitor them 247.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what the saddest part is? Your "Slow" downloads are actually my peak speed with the DSL connection I have here (I live in the caribbean)... So I know how it feels to wait for a couple of days for something to download.

NOW, I WOULD NEVER ADVISE YOU TO GO AGAINST YOUR DAD; which is why you shouldn't try sneak and connect your PC straight into the modem when he's not around.

You see... I'm guessing that you have the typical configuration ISP->MODEM->ROUTER-> PC's, so if, let's say during the night, you happen to go and plug your pc straight into the modem (which would be quite easier in the case that you had a laptop) and activate your BT downloads for lets says 4 hours at night, YOU'D BE GOING AGAINST YOUR DAD's WILL; and as I stated before I WILL NEVER SUGGEST THAT.

So, I know what you're thinking now... what if the modem has the ports blocked as well? well then you can: A) try changing the ports for the BT (which you should now either way), B) Then you're screwed and you'll just have to download like the rest of the human beings that (like me) happen to live in "Technologically challenged" countries... C) Try to do some "social engineering" with your father (aka kiss his behind and promise to wash his car from now until hell freezes over) and work a deal so he opens the ports for you.

Hope you can find a way around this issue. You may have some more options but I can't think of anymore right now...

Well, bittorrent doesn't have much of a chance to do anything harmful if you're running under BSD or GNU/Linux. If your dad is that paranoid about security, what is he doing using Windows in the first place? I'm not saying he needs to switch, but I am saying that BitTorrent should be the LEAST of his worries. Like someone said earlier, the only way his computer will be impenetrable to anyone, is if it's not on a network. Is this your own computer on a network? Or shared?

Haha, thanks. Maybe I'll try the plugin to the modem route. The download I want is (~3.67gb though) What ports do you recommend changing Bittorrent to?This is my own laptop on a network with about 6 other desktops on it.So yeah, if one gets a virus then it can spread to the others.What is slightly different though is that I'm the only computer on a wireless network - the others are on a wired. My Linksys wireless router is plugged into one of the multiple wired routers around the house. The effect is that I am on my own personal network though - I can't see or access the other computers unless I plugin through a cable.Hope that clears up the situation a bit.

In the three plus years ive been using bit torrent, ive never had one problem with it. No spyware problems no virus problems and from what i can gather no hackers.Although p2p it is nowhere as bad as the likes of limewire and kazaa etc.AS for the hacking, would say the same as everyone else, if someone wants to get into your network they will.