xisto Community
iGuest

Anyone OverClock?

[+] I overclocked my AMD Duron 1,6ghz upto 2.0ghz. It runs very smoothly now with Thermaltake Bigwater cooler inside. I integrate that watercooling system just to be sure that everything will be stable. It works very nice, Just that motherboard has passive cooler, and it's very hot so I put another fan on that cooler too. [+] System works very stable, but there is small difference in speed between 1,6 and 2,0 ghz. My FSB runs at 166mhz and multiplier is set to 12x. I overclocked it via switches on mainboard. [+] I got this mainboard:ASUS A7V266-MX VIA KM400 chipset Southbridge: VIA VT8235 Updated BIOS to 09/14/2004 (Phoenix)I think overclock is good stuff, but only for advanced users, it's not easy, because you can fry your cpu, just like that. Many stuff depends on cpu, and overall system stability can be crashed if you push your cpu too high...

Overclocking realy helps on my pc. I can't run the games at the settings I use now if I didn't overclocked my CPU, mem and video card.I mean, 28% OC on the CPU from stock, 7% (actualy more since I use tighter timings) for the memory, 18% for the GPU and 8% for the VMem. It realy does add up and if you have a high end computer and some good overclocking components, you can game at 1280 8/8 w/o problems.Other advantage is to save money, I bougth an XP2500+ and it runs flawlessly at 3200+ (@ stock voltage, but m/b undervolts a bit), that saved me another E80 (?).Had a litlle less luck with the vid card, I hoped it would have done 9600XT speeds, but I had a bad sample B) .

Does anyone use heatpipes in their systems? This is the only affordable thing I haven't tried yet, but there seems to be varying results I've read in reviews (from HDD coolers that don't make any difference through to expensive system coolers that look very nice .. if I had the money for them!).Also, another advantage of overclocking is the overclocked setting of FSB (using relatively more expensive low-latency DRAM) means the CPU gets more bandwidth than stock, which helps in some games.Finally, has anyone tried underclocking/undervolting? It's mainly to save on power consumption & noise/heat/etc, using similar techniques to overclocking but in reverse. It might be useful for car-pc's ... athough I guess most people would just buy a low-power CPU, mini-ITX .. or laptop!

I do not use heatpipes, but I've read loads of reviews about them.You should make a difference in performance vs. application. A zalman heatpipe hdd won't give good results, just because hdd normaly don't need a hdd cooler (and it has insufficient cooling surface).For heatsinks, results can be very, very good, it depends a bit on the manufacturer (cheaper heatsink most times have a worse impementation -read: worse thermal paste or worse holes and pipes).Heatpipes also work best under certain angles, depende a bit which heatsink you have.The heatsink cases (like the zalman tnt or the Hush) are realy cool (in fact, they get hot after a while :P ), there cooling capabilities are okay, but not the best.I did underclocked and undervolted my pc, to the minimum. 100*11@1.08V B) . I cooled it w/o a fan (SLK947u) and the temp rose to 60°c and the pc shuted down.

I do not use heatpipes, but I've read loads of reviews about them.

You should make a difference in performance vs. application. A zalman heatpipe hdd won't give good results, just because hdd normaly don't need a hdd cooler (and it has insufficient cooling surface).

Good point, that explains it, thanks a lot :-).

For heatsinks, results can be very, very good, it depends a bit on the manufacturer (cheaper heatsink most times have a worse impementation -read: worse thermal paste or worse holes and pipes).

I don't really like cheap stuff ... other than the stuff I make myself, he he ;-).

Heatpipes also work best under certain angles, depende a bit which heatsink you have.

Weird. Is that to do with convection current (hot air rising etc outside for passive air cooling the unit), or the hot gas rising and condensing to a liquid and then falling inside the tubing .. or something else entirely? Figured it can't be air bubbles since they're closed loops. Sorry for all the basic questions .. I'm not an expert on passive stuff, nor a thermodynamisist ;-).

The heatsink cases (like the zalman tnt or the Hush) are realy cool (in fact, they get hot after a while :blink: ), there cooling capabilities are okay, but not the best.

Totally. They all look so cool too .. not just full cases (I forgot about the Hush ... I'm so damn tempted, wish they'd stop tempting me!!) but also those tall passive external watercooling radiators!! But I guess I can't justify the cost when my simply watercooling/silent fan setup does the job for now! The Hush's are ideal for a lounge PC that doesn't look like a PC, as it were. Ditto those mini/nano-ITX boards/cases!! May be they'd be parent-proof if they boot off a write protected IDE plug-in flash drive or mini-CDR!

I did underclocked and undervolted my pc, to the minimum. 100*11@1.08V :mellow: . I cooled it w/o a fan (SLK947u) and the temp rose to 60°c and the pc shuted down.

1064323569[/snapback]

Wow ... that'd be awesome in an el-cheapo PVR/media PC .. if it worked. Guess may be a combination of a moderate-cost heat-pipe kit with undervolting might be the next thing for me to try when I get a moment & some spare cash :-).

Neither of my current machines is overclocked, but I've done it in the past. Depending on your hardware, you can sometimes even do it successfully without any additional hardware or software, just by modifying the speed settings in BIOS. Intel processors, especially Celerons, are good for this, since they are sold with an enormous margin of thermal safety. In other words, they are sold rated for speeds much lower than what they can actually safely accomplish.

i have overclocked my p4 2.8 to 166 which will run it at about 3.5ghz....it works great but for some reason it messes up my sound devices...it recognizes the driver. the driver works properly...but it doesnt see any of my devices...but w/e...i just down volted it to about 150 to run at about 3.1ghz and it stays cool...right around 30-35 degreesidk if this is true, i have heard that someone has overclocked a pII (with supioror cooling of course - the newest fridge technology or w/e its called - allows you to cool below room temp...killer008r can give you link) that normally runs at about 400 mhz....to run at p4 level of about 1.2ghz or sumtin....which amazes me...but i guess with the proper cooling you could do it...but its great

I have overclocked my celeron® 2.93Ghz to about 3.4. This has made it where i had to get a Vodoo Colling stystem. Ever thing seems to work good so i am happy with it.

i have overclocked my p4 2.8 to 166 which will run it at about 3.5ghz....it works great but for some reason it messes up my sound devices...it recognizes the driver. the driver works properly...but it doesnt see any of my devices...but w/e...i just down volted it to about 150 to run at about 3.1ghz and it stays cool...right around 30-35 degrees

idk if this is true, i have heard that someone has overclocked a pII (with supioror cooling of course - the newest fridge technology or w/e its called - allows you to cool below room temp...killer008r can give you link) that normally runs at about 400 mhz....to run at p4 level of about 1.2ghz or sumtin....which amazes  me...but i guess with the proper cooling you could do it...but its great

1064326075[/snapback]

300% overclock ??? I don't think that's possible, not even with LN2 cooling (about -196°c), I realy want that link :)