xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

If You Have Enough $$$, PC Or Laptop ? And Why ?

if you have enough money to get one , which do you like to buy for?

computer or Laptop ? and why????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally like the laptop because I'm in college. I need to take it to some of my classes. When I go home for weekends or breaks, I can take it with me easily so that I can have it around *and* not worry about something happening to it. If it were a desktop, I'd usually leave it in my apartment, which wouldn't be cool if I did, say, the five-week Christmas break at home.

But I don't think that I'd go with a desktop again even if I *do* ever graduate (hehe). I'm also a writer, so sometimes I like to go off by myself and write. And because I prefer typing to actual writing by hand, it's easier to have this laptop that I can pack up and take off with.

However: if portability isn't an issue, the desktop is probably a better investment. It's cheaper (of course) and a little easier to work on if you need to upgrade/replace internal components (way more room to work in a desktop's case than inside a laptop).

It depends on what you are going to use it for. Like in Sarah's situation, she uses it for school so it would be more convenient.I personally like the laptop also, but not the most powerful as you probably should know by now. If you want this for gaming, I would say go with the desktop instead. Even though laptops today can be good for gaming, it's just better to have it on a desktop - you can upgrade easily in the future if you need too, so it will most likely last longer than the laptop.Just got out of college and still have this old laptop (PIV 2.2Ghz). The thing weighs a ton so I'm gearing towards a lighter one in the near future.

Well, really, it depends on how much gaming I expect to do, beyond what I currently can do. If I want to play games with better graphics, desktop. If I don't care(like now), laptop. Laptops already get PLENTY of performance for everything else, and its only getting better. That, and now you can get them with 17 inch screens that are gorgous.But, they are much more expensive. So, yeah, if I HAD the money, I would totally get the laptop.

Everything said above is true, but there is one more thing you should consider. If you buy high performance laptop with 17'' screen there is a very good chance that it’s very heavy and very robust too. So if you don't mind that fact and don’t mind carrying heavy things, you should probably buy a laptop.

I'd go for both if I had the money. Desktops can be modded and overclocked, you can have some phun with the hardware, plus it still is a lot more faster than laptops.But, I'd also go for a laptop, because of it's 'portability', that's why it can't be a desktop replacement, so max. 15", LV or ULV CPU (Turion or Centrino laptop) combined w/ a descent nV or ATI graphics card, so it still allows gaming, but can work a long time on battery power and isn't working like a vacuüm cleaner and won't burn my balls.

yeah, me too. i'd also go for both if i had the cash to spend. though if i were to choose only one, i would go for a fully loaded alienware, dual hard drives, dual processors, 256MB graphics, 17 inch screen. no way in hell i could ever afford it, but it's good wishful thinking. then again, if what i did most was gaming and heavy graphics appz, then i'd go for a desktop, as you really can't beat that for performance.

yeah, me too. i'd also go for both if i had the cash to spend. though if i were to choose only one, i would go for a fully loaded alienware, dual hard drives, dual processors, 256MB graphics, 17 inch screen. no way in hell i could ever afford it, but it's good wishful thinking. then again, if what i did most was gaming and heavy graphics appz, then i'd go for a desktop, as you really can't beat that for performance.

It really depends on what you do and what you do with it really.If you are a guy/girl who needs to do stuff ant home and doesnt really need to take his/her computer anywhere, you should definitly stick to a PC.On the other hand, if you are always on the move and/or need to work anywhere you go, buy a notebook as fast as you can or you will go nuts with a home PC.If you are like me (computer techician) who needs a steady machine and a away-from-home computer... you should have both!The type of computer or notebook to buy is also determed by what that computer will run, either office apps or hi end game or designing apps.For home operation you should consider a "All-In-One" type of pc. This way your computer will be able to perform all types of tasks, from running MS Word/Excel and other office applications, as well as gaming and multimedia, as movie and dvd viewing.You should consider a broad multimedia choice sarting by a good screen and speaker set. The CPU has to be at least in the latest generation. I would advise you to go for AMD for its higher performance in all apps and games. +1Gb is recomended, but i would advice at least 2Gb, i know... its a little more expencive, but at least you wont run out of memory that easely. In graphics same applies, a good medium range PCI-Express Nvidia or ATI (choose your flavor) should go nice. if you want to go all the way go for SLI and Hi End GFX card. which bring me to motherboard choice. here i'm a little picky... i would definitly go for a hi end motherboard which assures me greater evolution possibilities without changing it. Asus is a nice bet for both motherboard and gfx card. as for storage... a western digital raptor is the way to go for a primary hard drive, leaving a slower hard disk for storage purposes. as for optical drives, you should get both DVD-ROM and DVD-R Drives. the casing and PSU should be reliable, but also good looking. there my choice goes to thermaltake for the casing and turbo-cool for the psu. as for cooling, keeping your computer cool is a priority. a good airflow case with the aid of a good cooler may be good, but a water cooled system runs cooler, therefore better. you should take this in consideration. and as for Desktops, i'm done.Now to laptops/notebooks.They also come in lots of flavors. ultra portable, value and desktop replacement would be the 3 main groups. and as before, what you want to do comes into play.if you need a computer on the go, go for ultra portable (that meens more $$$, but also less features and more operating time). some of the new ultraportable or small portable come with double layer dvdr units and work with +2GHz cpu, others, like the newest sony vaio work with 1.2GHz cpu put its battery last 7h. value notebooks are not to be bought, they're not as though as ultraportable and desktop replacement notebooks, they sometimes lack important features and can have more hardware problems. desktop replacement notebooks are exactly what they meen, a notebook who has a processing power and set of features that would make your desktop cry with envy. i would go for a ultraportable or small notebook, for its easyer use and set of features, that even being less powerfull that of the desktop replacements, are also cable of medium range gaming and dvd play. they sould cost +/-2000€.I need both so i will go for both really soon.;)Sk

Depending on the kind of use and lifestyle that you have you may choose one or another, for instance, if you travel a lot or if you need to have your data with you when not at home or office, then obviously a laptop would be better, Now, in many other aspects a desktop is better, because you can upgrade it easier, and the spare parts are cheaper. I personally prefer desktops.

Right now, I would get a laptop because I have a nice desktop machine and really could use something portable, even if it's not too fast or nice. Anything that could run some word-processing software so I could do my work even when I'm not at home would be nice. However, as a general rule, you do get a lot more for your money in a desktop.

lapotops are upgradeable nowadays, it's only a bit harder and more expensive to get the new stuff.CPU's can be upgraded easily and (ok, I'm not too shure about this one) not-onboard vid card (eg newer ATI and NV cards) can be swapped out too.Memory can be replaced, hdd too.The hdd is a bit the weakest point of a laptop, they realy lack speed (especialy budget minded laptops).

I would definately go for the PC. I would like to have a gamming machine that would have all brand new hardware that just hit the markets. ;) CASE: Koolance PC3-725SL (Just looks cool)Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI DeluxeCPU: AMD Athlon64 FX-57 (the best for gamming)Hard Drive: Western Digital WD740 Raptor (not really new but great deal)Memory: Corsair XMS XPertVideo Card: Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX (nothing else to say but a MUST Have!!!)Sound Card: Creative Audigy4 Pro (for the kickn' 5.1 surround sound baby!)Monitor: ViewSonic N2750w 27” LCD Monitor (Crystal Clear)Sound Sytstem: Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Sound SystemInternet Connection: D-Link Gigabit Gaming RouterOptical Dive: Lite-On 16x DVD+RW DriveMouse: Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse (Smooth Control)Keyboard: Logitech Media Keyboard (just a multiuse than just gamming.)PSU: SeasonicJUST FOR SHOW: Antec LED Fans Logisys 4" RED COLD CATHODE LIGHT KIT (got to inpress the ladies)The machine is about $3500 to $5000. It is definately worth the price if you want the best in the business hands down. ;)

Would be a hard one to chose.Both have advantages in my life, the pc for the fact that im constantly on mine for work purposes. The only problem with this is, if i need to go round the other halfs house then i cant get any of my personal work done, which is where a laptop would certainly come in handy.I guess in a way it is swings and roundabouts for me, i would like the pc for its easily upgradeable and cheap parts. However, the laptop for the fact i can have it on the go. As for the make, Dell all the way, great 3 year warranty they come out within 24hours and have not had a problem with them in any way.