xisto Community
Hatchman33

Anti Virus Software

I recommend using Grisoft AVG. I've been using it for years now and have no complaints. It's not perfect, but no antivirus program is. I have asked lots of users to switch over from Norton or McAfee and they love it - sometimes they actually found some trojans that netiher Norton or McAfee found.Grisoft AVG shouldn't use that much system resources either ;)

Panda Titanium 2005 is what im currently using right now on my comp, it comes with true prevent technology and a firewall, updates are available everyday, so its modern and up to date. Much cheaper than name brands like EZ, and Norton imo.

You know what : Microsoft Windows update is a malicious script !Hi, folks, you will laught when knowing that.When you start the new Windows Update on a Win2k system, McAfee Viruscan starts a popup window saying "A malicious script has been detected and halted". "What do you want :- allow this malicious script continue- stop this malicious script- continue what you were doing". And effectively, Microsoft Windows update is stopped until you click on "allow this malicious script to continue". Funny, isn't it ?YordanP.S. By the way, I think that Mc Afee is right. If you wollow the instructions saying "let Microsoft Update handle the udpates automatically" it will star things you don't know about, downloading files at one moment where you don't have a lot of internet bandwidth, ask for reboot at a moment where you did not schedule tat, so it's really like a malicious script you need to be informed about.

I want people to name some of the Anti Virus software they are currently using on their pc.

1064320471[/snapback]

I'm currently using Norton Internet Security 2005. It's an all in one package, incluce AntiSpam, AntiVirus, Firewall .etc...

I've tried a couple of AV Programs myself, but currently I'm using Avast Home Edition. It's a Super-AV, if one can be called that. It's very light on the system resources; the interface is very decent and is skinnable, too; it has resident, e-mail, P2P, and Instant Messaging sheilds; updated quite regularly; and it's totally free with no advertisment. I seriously love it!I haven't tried AVG yet, but for some reason, I don't think I wanna. But if I do, I'll tell you what I think about it, too.

I have both Avast and AVG running on my machine, and it seems to be even better than having the one going.I know that you are told not to run two at a time, but I've been doing it for 4 years now, with no problems so far!

There isn't anything wrong with running more than one. With firewalls, I always like to run more than one since i've seen some firewalls that report back to the company with who knows what. But I personally like ZoneAlarm and AVG the best.In my opinion, Norton is the worst AV software there is. I've used it once and i hated it. I only had it for a day but i got the funniest alert that day. Within 20 seconds of use, Norton had identified itself as a high-risk virus/trojan

I've tried a few different anti-virus packages and I've settled on Avast. You can't beat the price (free for non-business use).My only complaint would be the auto-download feature. It can catch you off guard at times in that the download takes up some system resources and bandwith which make you think there's a problem. I believe it can be scheduled but I haven't bothered with it yet. Also, if you're on a wireless connection (wifi) and you're not connected to the internet, you get annoying messages that the download wasn't sucessful.But in terms of providing anti-virus support and a low margin of false alarms, it's been fantastic. I have not had a single problem since I started using it.

Well let me say this,
You aren't in need of an anti virus software if you don't visit untrusted web pages or click on every link that appears on your screen! Like my little brother who is most of the time on my moms PC and it load of viruses.
He just clicks where he can! :)

Anyway, a firewall should be enough for security if you aren't like my brother or feel like visiting crack / warez sites! Well I ran a few anti virus software on my PC. Most of the time NOD32 or Free AVG. Though I'm not in need of those anymore since I know what I do when I'm on the web. And WHEN I download a program from the web I don't trust I load up Clamwin (link) which is a ondemand virus scanner. So I save some of my system recourses. Though Clamwin has a trayicon which uses some RAM, but I think it could be turned off somehow.

And if you want to download / test a piece of software, use bittorrent with a trustful tracker. You won't get viruses from there. (if this line isn't allowed for some reason which is in the Rules, please tell me or remove it :))

Also I used to be a MS hater because of the viruses I always got. But then I saw the light and I knew it wasn't MS their fault. It all depends on the user! Though there are a lot of people who just turn their PC on and do some stuff and shutdown, yes those won't know what they have to do when they visited something like a crack site... Or they want to download some piece of software. Just think about it. :)

bakr_2k5