xisto Community
jedipi

No Sound On Creative Pci 128.. help..system-config-soundcard error

I just got a creative pci 128 sound card for my Fedora core 4 box.But it does not work (not sound, and work in windows xp).I have searched for solution in google for a while, but couldn;t found anything good.When I tryied to use command system-config-soundcard, it return a error message: amixer: unable to find simple control pcm,0What is the problem??How to fix it??Thank you.

to make soundcards work under linux is really pain in the *bottom*... But I have surprized myself, when I booted UBUNTU bootable CD, with that test lynux system on, my soundcard embedded on motherboard worked instantly with generic drivers... I would say they had done an awesome job with Ubunto to make that work.

Also, remember that the first thing to do is to have a look at the Linux sound control mixer. I was trapped with Mandrake, I had no sound, I thought I did a big mistake until I look at the sound mixer control, and saw that all the volume controls were pushed to zero. I pushed most of them to maximum and everything worked correctly.

As this is the same kind of problem i went through under slackware i am going to explain the slackware solution of it :Pfor slackware 10.2;put your slackware 10.2 CD2 in your drivemount the cdtype pkgtool and install the alsa driverstype alsaconfit should try and detect your sound drivers. then select the appropriate driverthen use rexima (or your favorite mixer) to change the sound levels.try to play a media file.this should work fine for your sound card.

First of all you need to identify the chipset on the sound card, That will help you determine the module you'll need to run, Creative PCI128, so I'll list a few that I know of to help you identify the chipset easier, if you don't find it then list the model which usually starts with CT#### where # is numbers.

ES1370 driver module = ens1370ES1371 driver module = ens1371

It's possible there could be more.

To install the module, you'll just do:

su -c "/sbin/modprobe ens1370"ENTER ROOT PASSWORD

or possibly:

su -c "/sbin/modprobe es1370"ENTER ROOT PASSWORD

Then you should try the sound, it's strange Fedora didn't automatically detect it though, but give that a shot.

This might be just a temporary solution and it's possible the card won't be there next boot, but I'll explain how to do that after you can identify the card properly.

Cheers,

MC

I created a Hungarian documentation some years ago how to set up sound on Debian Linux. Now I show it to you. Maybe it will be useful for some who reads this tread later. I hope these things are not too old.

I think the same will work in Fedora also because they use the same kernel.

The process seems to be difficult -remember what finaldesign wrote- but it is not too hard. It's just time consuming. If you prefer one click solutions maybe this guide is not for you. And aslo try this only if guide of mastercomputers didn't help. Now just read through. Maybe the last 2 lines enough to bring the solution.

If your /dev folder are full with directories then this guide can help you. This folder active when your kernel was compiled with enabled Filesystems / devfs option.

Open a shell and run lspci command. It will list out all of your devices. Your sound card should be listed there.

When I run "lspci|grep audio" I see the following:

00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Fortemedia, Inc Xwave QS3000A [FM801] (rev b2)

FM801 chip is used in the card. So I will hunt a driver for FM801.

The following link is the starting point for the hunting.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Your card might be listed in this page:

Now you see which driver is for your card. Probably ES1370.

If your kernel support OSS Sound Modules then its enough to download kernel-headers for compilation of alsa softwares. You should remember where you install kernel-headers. Later it will be used. Take care to have the same version as your running kernel has. (uname -a command shows you the version of the kernel)

If your kernel doesnt support OSS Sound Modules then you should recompile your kernel to enable the followings:

-Sound (main menu)

---Soundcard Support [*]

------OSS Sound Modules [*]

------------Verbose initialisation [*]

------------Persistent DMA buffers [*]

Download the latest stable kernel from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Stable kernel's version number can be divided with 2 : v2.2, v2.4, v2.6 so on. You should download linux-*.tar.gz or linux-*.tar.bz2. Bz2 is smaller so you can download faster but extraction time is longer.

After extraction of the file you should read INSTALL file on details how to compile kernel.

run make menuconfig and select the oss sound modules as presented above.

After selection save the menuconfig compile the kernel and restart computer.

Next is to get the alsa softwares:

Download the latest (Now alsa-driver-1.0.13.tar.bz2 is the latest) alsa-driver: (rc, alfa, beta shows unstable version) http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Also download alsa-lib : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Get alsa oss-lib too: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

And alsa-utils: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Unpack the downloaded files.

Run the followings in each folder:

./configure

make

make install

Instead of ./configure you should run ./configure --help and read rtfm. With --with-cards=fm801 switch you can decrease the time was used for compilation. Only the mentioned card's driver will be compiled. Remember fm801 is the type of my sound card. You should replace fm801 with your card's type.

You might get error message that modversions.h is not accessibile. In this case you should specify the kernel-headers folder which was downloaded and extracted before:

./configure --with-cards=fm801 --with-kernel=/usr/src/path_to_kernel_source_or_kernel_headers/linux-2.4.21

If you get the error message with modversions.h you might recompile your kernel: the make dep step should be the last. You should read the text provided in the last lines and do the suggested steps. You can also read INSTALL files. These contain info how to set /etc/modules.conf (but it is preferred to edit /etc/modules/sound and run update-modules command)

The followings contains my configuration files on Debian linux with kernel 2.4. snd-fm801 shows the kernel module of my card. You should replace this you your card's module.

/etc/modules.conf: (/etc/modutils/sound)

alias /dev/snd snd-fm801

alias /dev/sound snd-fm801

# ALSA native device support

alias char-major-116 snd

# OSS/Free setup

alias char-major-14 soundcore

# ALSA portion

alias snd-card-0 snd-fm801

# OSS/Free portion

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

#Get correct volume settings:

post-install snd-fm801 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore

#store current volume before unloading

pre-remove snd-fm801 /usr/sbin/alsactl store

# OSS/Free portion - card #1

#and accessing /dev/dsp ought to load the oss driver...

#This one ensure module loading when someone open

#/dev/dsp:

alias /dev/dsp sound-service-0-3

#Stuff that make OSS emulation work.

#OSS request various sound services, this directs it

#to compatibility modules in ALSA.

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss

alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

/etc/modules:

snd-fm801

/etc/devfs/devfsd.conf (if you have /dev/sound folder but there is no /etc/devfs folder then install devfsd software!)

# Enable module autoloading. You may comment this out if you don't use

# autoloading

LOOKUP \* IGNORE

LOOKUP .* MODLOAD

# Uncomment the following if you want to set the group to "tty" for the

# pseudo-tty devices. This is necessary so that mesg(1) can later be used to # enable/disable talk requests and wall(1) messages.

REGISTER ^pty/s.* PERMISSIONS -1.tty 0600

REGISTER ^pts/.* PERMISSIONS -1.tty 0600

# Include the compatibility symlinks

OPTIONAL_INCLUDE /etc/devfs/compat_symlinks

# Include the standard permissions settings for devices

INCLUDE /etc/devfs/perms

# Include package-generated files from /etc/devfs/conf.d

OPTIONAL_INCLUDE /etc/devfs/conf.d

#

# Uncomment this if you want permissions to be saved and restored

# Do not do this for pseudo-terminal devices

#REGISTER ^pt[sy] IGNORE

#CREATE ^pt[sy] IGNORE

#CHANGE ^pt[sy] IGNORE

#DELETE ^pt[sy] IGNORE

#REGISTER .* COPY /dev-state/$devname $devpath

#CREATE .* COPY $devpath /dev-state/$devname

#CHANGE .* COPY $devpath /dev-state/$devname

#DELETE .* CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink /dev-state/$devname

#RESTORE /dev-state

# The following line is needed to save permissions from the perms file to the# dev-state directory when the device is loaded for the first time, and then # use the saved permissions afterwards.

# Don't use it if you don't use the perms file.

#REGISTER .* COPY $devpath /dev-state/$devname

#

# create the old /dev/cdrom symlink

REGISTER ^cdroms/cdrom0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink $devname cdrom

UNREGISTER ^cdroms/cdrom0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink cdrom

# Uncomment this to let PAM manage devfs

#REGISTER .* CFUNCTION /lib/security/pam_console_apply_devfsd.so pam_console_apply_single $devpath

# Uncomment this to manage USB mouse

REGISTER ^input/mouse0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname usbmouse

UNREGISTER ^input/mouse0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink usbmouse

REGISTER ^input/mice$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname usbmouse

UNREGISTER ^input/mice$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink usbmouse

# If you have removable media and want to force media revalidation when looking

# up new or old compatibility names, uncomment the following lines

# SCSI NEWCOMPAT /dev/sd/* names

#LOOKUP ^(sd/c[0-9]+b[0-9]+t[0-9]+u[0-9]+)p[0-9]+$ EXECUTE /bin/dd if=$mntpnt/\1 of=/dev/null count=1

# SCSI OLDCOMPAT /dev/sd?? names

#LOOKUP ^(sd[a-z]+)[0-9]+$ EXECUTE /bin/dd if=$mntpnt/\1 of=/dev/null count=1

# IDE NEWCOMPAT /dev/ide/hd/* names

#LOOKUP ^(ide/hd/c[0-9]+b[0-9]+t[0-9]+u[0-9]+)p[0-9]+$ EXECUTE /bin/dd if=$mntpnt/\1 of=/dev/null count=1

# IDE OLDCOMPAT /dev/hd?? names

#LOOKUP ^(hd[a-z])[0-9]+$ EXECUTE /bin/dd if=$mntpnt/\1 of=/dev/null count=1

And at the last step you can turn off mute and turn on volume:

Amixer is in alsa-utils package.

amixer set Master 21 unmute

amixer set PCM 21 unmute

how to install linux.i have a sound card problemNo Sound On Creative Pci 128..

hi

I just bought a new creative sound card and it work perfectly on windows.The problem is that I cannot installed any linux os on my pc.The installation block when I remove the sound card ,I can install linux,can u help me

-reply by seebaluck