xisto Community
sparx

Gmail No Longer Beta

sounds good.... anyone should feel free to hit me up with a teaser.... LOL....sickgrrl723@hotmail.com

sounds good.... anyone should feel free to hit me up with a teaser.... LOL....

Hey SickGrrl, why don't 'ya check your e-mail?

How come what? How come Gmail is still Beta? How come Gmail no longer allows anyone to sign up directly?

Simply put, there was a beta-testing occuring; obviously, the point was to see how many sign-ups and registers occured and move from there. Now, the beta-testing for sign-ups are done and they probably want to see how the users prefer it. That, and they probably notice how many invites are occuring. But other than that, you might as well beg for someone to invite you...

It's like an Gmail Club bouncer - hehe...

Cons:

1. You feel ashamed that you're not paying Google for such a service.

1064321870[/snapback]

Don't feel ashamed, Google is not doing charity. GMail wasn't created because there was need for another email service, but because it fits googles business plan. With google having an extensive advertising business it is fairly obvious that in addition to your web searches they use your emails and Blogger posts to profile you and target advertising. It's up to you where to draw the line, but personally I do not like information gathered from such a personal thing as email.

I do not allow google to set cookies, and yes I do have a Gmail account but use a separate browser to access it (I actually have Netscape 7.1 installed only for reading Gmail) and only use it for registrations and such. The system itself is well built, it's probably the nicest webmail system ever, and the spam detection works well IMO. That's why I use it in the first place.

You can call me paranoid but in this case not trusting doesn't hurt. And google is not the only service I don't trust. I generally block cookies from most sites, unless I see there is need for them. Its nice that advertisers tend to label their servers so that the url gives away their purpose.

Yeah, you're right. I checked gmail.com but they are still apparently in beta mode. And also what's more I still have 100 invites. I personally think it's great that gmail will be offering this feature to the web, it will improve gmail webmesseging and the google search engine immensly.

gmail is still beta...just because the gmail development team posted that you can sign up for gmail doesnt mean its not beta any more, there is a sign up link right below the login box, although it is only available to us mobile numbers and only available certain times of the day and certain days of the week

sorry for the double post...astahost really needs to alow people to edit thier posts

Don't feel ashamed, Google is not doing charity. GMail wasn't created because there was need for another email service, but because it fits googles business plan. With google having an extensive advertising business it is fairly obvious that in addition to your web searches they use your emails and Blogger posts to profile you and target advertising. It's up to you where to draw the line, but personally I do not like information gathered from such a personal thing as email.

I do not allow google to set cookies, and yes I do have a Gmail account but use a separate browser to access it (I actually have Netscape 7.1 installed only for reading Gmail) and only use it for registrations and such. The system itself is well built, it's probably the nicest webmail system ever, and the spam detection works well IMO. That's why I use it in the first place.

You can call me paranoid but in this case not trusting doesn't hurt. And google is not the only service I don't trust. I generally block cookies from most sites, unless I see there is need for them. Its nice that advertisers tend to label their servers so that the url gives away their purpose.

1064323701[/snapback]

why wouldnt you trust gmail?? they use bots to scan your email, but so does every other email service out thier, hotmail does it, yahoo, all emails do it. accept gmai does it to place ads relavent to your email content, while hotmail does it to figuer out what spam emails best suit your desire

and why should you feel ashamed your not paying for gmail???

i think thats a stupid comment because google isnt here purly to make money, they are here to make the people happy with what they use on the internet, first they made people happy with the most powerful search engine on the web, then they came out with google earth, maps, news, destop search, toolbar. they only google took you have to pay for it google earth, but its understandable, what do they ask for in return??? they ask that you tell them how they can improve your internet experience! google is only thier for you, not for themselfs, they even offer tons of job positions!