xisto Community
QBRADQ

Fedora Core 4: A New User's First Impressions

Why does it seem that everyone forgets about the Yellowdog Update Manager? --> Yum.

it comes standard with fedora and enables you to install/update a very huge bunch of programs (if you configure it right). It automatically fixes all those bloody depencies you always need for software and of course, like all good software is just command line ;)

more info : http://yum.baseurl.org/

@jipman : yum seems to be a rpm package manager, for further updates. From what I see on the link you provided, it seems that it is not useful for fresh installing : if booting from the fedora boot CD crashes, yum probably cannot help. yum seems to need a linux already working. Am I wrong ?

I think you are right, but then again, I just started using Linux recently (about 2 days ago). I had many problems during the installation of Fedora Core 4, however, after many tries, it installed finally. It kept showing that the installer failed (turned out, however, to be mostly a hard drive problem). I'm also having a problem with the sound card. Anyway, I really like the software that it comes bundled with.