xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ebbinger_413

X-Box Hard Drive replace ?

i stamped this into the hardware section, i couldnt find anything on xbox hardware or nuttin. hopefully this is the right spot. anyways, i took apart my xbox the other day too fix the power supply (the recall came on systems made during a certain period, mine wasnt made then), but it still had the problem. i had contacted microsoft about it and i was pissed, they said they couldnt do nuttin about it because my warenty had been voided or some crap like that. so i decided to fix it myself. i had taken the thing apart and fixed it (soldered wires back together...thats all it took) and was starting to put it back together when i thought. the xbox has a 40 gig hard drive (right ?) i have 52 gigs in my computer (2 20gig and 2 6gig) it would be easier to have one big hard drive then a bunch of smaller ones. and i dont use that much space on my xbox (not even 6gigs). so couldnt i just pop the xbox hard drive into my computer on slave and make an image of it and then put that image onto one of my smaller hard drives (say a 20 gig) and then pop that 20 gig into the xbox ?...then i would have 60 gigs on my computer with only two hard drives and still have 2 drives to spare.... has anyone done this, would this work. seems to me that it would work. i mean...the image would keep everything thats on the hard drive and put it on the other one. WOULD IT WORK ?

It is possible to add a larger harddrive.

It seems that the question was not concerning putting a larger hardrave inside the Xbox. As I understood that things, he wanted to take the big disk out the Xbox, put it on his PC, and put a smaller disk inside the Xbox. By the way, I'm sure you are right concerning the modchip, there is probably a checksum verifying that the disk is the original one before the game starts playing. and I'm sure that there are several other forums on other sites more specialized in X-box hardware, where you could find more help.
:D
I feel here on Xisto it's looks like a site with a lot of webmasters, a bunch of develelppers, an no hard-wired console players.

yes, that is true, i probably should find a better forum (not that i dont love Xisto) but i was just asking. but if i use norton ghost wouldnt (even if there is a checksum) the xbox think that it has the original hard drive in the system and therefore work normaly.

well, i went into another forum (one for xbox) and they mentioned a bunch of stuff that made sense...i was kind of pondering this thing some more too, they mentioned the xbox hard drive is under a different file system (called fatx) ive never heard of it but i figured that the xbox might have a differnet file system. and they also were mentioning stuff about if you want to switch the hard drives you need to have a mod chip in the xbox (well i dont). but they didnt really direct these points to my question (forum sucked) they just kinda told stories about what they did to their xbox's and how. so...i didnt get a lot of help there. i am going to go ahead and try cloning the hard drive and puting the clone into the xbox and seeing what that does for me...

i stamped this into the hardware section, i couldnt find anything on xbox hardware or nuttin. hopefully this is the right spot.

anyways, i took apart my xbox the other day too fix the power supply (the recall came on systems made during a certain period, mine wasnt made then), but it still had the problem. i had contacted microsoft about it and i was pissed, they said they couldnt do nuttin about it because my warenty had been voided or some crap like that. so i decided to fix it myself. i had taken the thing apart and fixed it (soldered wires back together...thats all it took) and was starting to put it back together when i thought. the xbox has a 40 gig hard drive (right ?) i have 52 gigs in my computer (2 20gig and 2 6gig) it would be easier to have one big hard drive then a bunch of smaller ones. and i dont use that much space on my xbox (not even 6gigs). so couldnt i just pop the xbox hard drive into my computer on slave and make an image of it and then put that image onto one of my smaller hard drives (say a 20 gig) and then pop that 20 gig into the xbox ?...then i would have 60 gigs on my computer with only two hard drives and still have 2 drives to spare.... has anyone done this, would this work. seems to me that it would work. i mean...the image would keep everything thats on the hard drive and put it on the other one.

WOULD IT WORK ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They warn you about the conditions that can cause the product warranty to be voided. Opening it up and and/or breaking any seals would void the warranty.

Anyway, to use it on the computer you would probably have to reformat it and then all of that.

AFAIK you don't need a hardware modchip since there are several xb BIOS software patches online. This has a few legit uses such as installing Linux on the xbox so I guess it's OK to discuss those things here on Xisto. There's no need to open up the xb. I don't think it's illegal to do this, or at least I don't think it should be, but as with most things, there are very non-legit uses of it too, so it's probably best not to discuss it further here on Xisto.