xisto Community
cyph3r

~* Whats Better Ipb Or Vb ? *~

Hello people ..I was starting a forum like community for my college and umm i came with 2 options of boards .. IPB and vBOut of the 2 could u please help me choose the best one for me .. as well as the best one in user compatibility and other stuff .. Its a student college portal so theer should be attachments and avatar .. and sum cool mods u can give me ideas on .. Thankx :DDhanesh

You know both those aren't free, you need to pay to use them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes i do know they r "not" free .. :D .. i was askin cause i wanted to get a board anyways for use with my personal website so thought of askin the question here .. so i get inputs as to which onez better .. :P

thankx

It might be a matter of taste for this question. I have used both (joined forums that used them) of these before and I definitely like Invision more thatn vBulletin. I'm sure both of these have lots of MODS for them.

Do you want to get a free one if it's good and reliable? I know Trekkie here spreads the name of this forum a lot. It's very reliable and it's faster than other forums. If you want, give SimpleMachinesForum a try. They have lots of MODS there also. Tell us how you like it.

If you want, give SimpleMachinesForum a try.  They have lots of MODS there also.  Tell us how you like it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol back from my other post .. the sequel to this one ..

Actually i tried out SMF .. i kinda had installation problems .. i used to get 2 boxes and inbetween them a " < " sign .. it was weird .. i gave up trying .. but all the stuff that i tried .. i had done it the way i am doing it right now .. i asked the forums and got help from them .. but sometimes its too annoying to answer to a person who dosent know " Anything " in that particular topic ...

I didnt see that kind of an attitude here .. but i am always a bit careful lol .. i do a little pre homework b4 i try to reply to people who answer my questions .. but its fun .. i get to learn a lot more ..

Aww .. sorry .. lol comming back to the forum topic ... i prefered IPB as u had seen in my other post .. and one reason being is .. i liked the Admin panel and the amount of options in it .. its quiet in detail and u can do loads of stuff in it .. i tried phpbb .. which is again an amazing free forum ... but not that much of a customizable options in it ..

Thankx for helping again .. and hapy friendships day to everyone :D

Have fun

Cheers

It might be a matter of taste for this question.  I have used both (joined forums that used them) of these before and I definitely like Invision more thatn vBulletin.  I'm sure both of these have lots of MODS for them.

I'd have to agree with WeaponX. I also like Invision, but it will always depend on the website creator's taste, as Weapon said!!!! :D

Invisionboard is EXTREMELY expensive. It can make a big dent in your wallet in the long run. But the good thing about invisionboard is that you get your own domain.

Bulletin Board is a no too, for your member's sake. Sure, you get a domain name for your community but your members wouldn't like the idea of you knowing their passwords.

Ezboard is a definite NO! I had my experience with it; the ezboard Staff are retarded phonies there for your money. Plus, it is really expensive for "Gold Community" and, in fact, it got hacked. Want to know why? The security is complete crap and you get globally banned for the stupidest things (like hating gays or telling your honest opinion). See http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

The best would be phpBB(.com). The security is good, the forum is of exceptional quality and it's affordable. You should go with that. :D

For the actual purpose of this post im going to say Invision Power Board i dont want to sit on the fence or say its up to the webmaster and i will also list my reasons for this recomendation:1. The Scripts and Hacks/Edits are comprehensive, easy to install, wide community with a great debug base, and most of all can personalise your forum to be yours and almost totally unidentifiable with the original product.2.The Support as i touched on with the debug base is excellent with the Invision Site answering most of your newbie questions at the index page and search engine for backup. Lots of well developed and keen to help forums by others who like Invision.3. User Friendlyness is number one so far as i have found since i am signed up to several gaming forums with different boards but this can be also dependant on the webmaster and the hacks or edits installed.4. First time forum installer - IPB is easy with a step by step installation and the admin panel is an absolute joy to use.Good luck with your decision its not the one and all cos even i have had a few things go wrong with IPB but its the best of the lot IMHO.

No, don't do what Reaver suggested! Honestly, most free forums are useless and unreliable. (I apologize, Reaver, but I've learned from experience.) However, if you're a cheap bass-terd, and you just want a community, no matter how bad and unreliable it is, the best would be

http://www.zifboards.com/

Honestly, InvisionBoard is really, really exceptional and of high quality. It's just that it's extremely expensive and I don't think you'll enjoy it in the long run.

Although I think you will enjoy phpBB. The world largest forum in the world:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/

uses phpBB and I guess it shows how hack-proof it is.

But anyway, good luck with your forum endeavors and I hope my help is, well... helpful to you.

Did I forget to mention:

https://www.socialstrata.com/?nc=1

:D

vBulletin is way way way too expensive for a personal website hoster! Look at the subscription prices! To have to pay that much money every year just to host a forum it's really not worth it. Look a Simple Machines Forums, it's absolutely free (as in the sense of BOTH beer AND speech), you can have unlimited updates, there are many packages and it's very themeable.If you want to get a paid one I'd get IPB (it's slightly cheaper) but overall I don't get why a perosnal website hoster would want to pay for vBullein.

lol back from my other post .. the sequel to this one ..

Actually i tried out SMF .. i kinda had installation problems .. i used to get 2 boxes and inbetween them a " < " sign .. it was weird .. i gave up trying .. but all the stuff that i tried .. i had done it the way i am doing it right now .. i asked the forums and got help from them .. but sometimes its too annoying to answer to a person who dosent know " Anything " in that particular topic ...

I didnt see that kind of an attitude here .. but i am always a bit careful lol .. i do a little pre homework b4 i try to reply to people who answer my questions .. but its fun .. i get to learn a lot more ..

Aww .. sorry .. lol comming back to the forum topic ... i prefered IPB as u had seen in my other post .. and one reason being is .. i liked the Admin panel and the amount of options in it .. its quiet in detail and u can do loads of stuff in it .. i tried phpbb .. which is again an amazing free forum ... but not that much of a customizable options in it ..

Thankx for helping again .. and hapy friendships day to everyone :D

Have fun

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the best things about Simple Machines Forums is that they have a very good support team. If you posted exactly your problem, their admin would sort you out on in a few minues. The SMF admin panel is easily better than the IPB one, it's all categorised and once you've gotten around it it's so much more versatile and especially the way modifications work.

My choice FEATURE wise, its VB.So why did I opt for Invision you might ask, it is because of MODS and HACKS. I can create them easily, the code is more organised. Installation is simple. And its one of the most User Friendly board. I am just waiting for the people to release Invision Board 2.1.

I have heard vB is extremly customizable....Though, I definately prefer IPB, I like the styles of it much, much better. Though, I am not fully aware of both bulletin boards capabilities. Hope that helps!