xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xboxrulz1405241485

New Planet Discovered! 2003UB313

This is only one of the object being put forward recently as a 10th planet.
2003VB12 or Sedna is another one
Sedna
And here is another one called Quaoar.
Quaoar
No doubt as Mike Brown and his collegues continue to survey the Kuiper belt more such objects will be found.

The search for planets around other stars which turned up these water bearing planets may be more interesting to some people.
new planets

Yeah this planet is really mysterious though, not much is known about it. This is good though because hopefully this discovery will spur scientists on and discover mmore planets and unravel secrets about the universe.

I often wonder how people discover new planets? Did this new planet just come into view recently because of its orbit? And regarding who names the planets, I think nowadays whoever discovers it names it. It seems to work that way for stars. You know, you can buy a star and have it named after someone. One of these days, I will do that for myself and my children...a little legacy, I guess. B)

"Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight. "
"The decision on Pluto at a conference of 2,500 astronomers from 75 countries was a dramatic shift from just a week ago, when the group's leaders floated a proposal that would have reaffirmed Pluto's planetary status and made planets of its largest moon and two other objects.

That plan proved highly unpopular, splitting astronomers into factions and triggering days of sometimes combative debate that led to Pluto's undoing. In the end, only about 300 astronomers cast ballots

Very scientific - to decide by votes :)

So, finally what does it come to ? No eccentrics allowed in sun's orbit?
Just because it is the eccentric one, who is sometimes 8th and sometimes 9th around the sun; and it goes through the backyard and front of other planets' which has not been cleared .

Now for some Indian background, in Indian astrology Neptune and Pluto have been named Varuna and Yama. (Yama is the god of death - comes through the backdoor)

Varuna and Yama are digpals, guardians of two of the eight digs (directions) in Indian mythology.

The nine planets (grahas) according to Indian mythology and astrology are: Surya, Chandra, Mangala, Budha, Guru (or Brihaspati), Shukra, Shani, Rahu and Ketu. Celestial objects that move around (unlike stars, which are stationary in relation to each other) and do not twinkle were called grahas. Each graha was assigned a god as its adhipati. (Rahu and Ketu, though asuras by birth, partook of the amrut through guile and became immortals like the devas. They are not adhipatis of any visible celestial objects but periodially consume and conceal the two largest grahas in retaliation for their sneaking to Vishnu of their deception.)

Until the invention of the telescope by Galileo, only the planets upto Saturn were visible to the naked eye and only these were described as planets by various civilizations. Uranus, it is said, can be seen with the naked eye as a green speck, under favorable conditions. However, it generally twinkles a bit like stars.

Anyways - now we've just eight planets - all the astrologists have some major re-learning to do and predictions to re-write !

JohnDa the FunDa
http://www.fundazone.com/
http://medicozone.com/