xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

The Fall Of America Lies Right In The Sentence inside...

As I was walking through a store today, I heard this horrific sentence uttered beside me:"I be hungry yo, i need some blue dorito." I mean, WTF?The blue dorito, not cooler ranch, but the "blue" dorito - not pluralized, mind you. And, "I be hungry, yo?" I'm sorry but did you mean, "I'm hungry?"Sweet Jesus, what is this world coming to?

Actually in Californnia they are wanting to require the teaching of subjects in Ebonics (a made up and lazy ghetto gobbledegook) to students, well that's just fine with me but when someone come up and starts talking like that I say I don't understand them and go about my own way.You won't get to many job offers if you can't communicate properly, so all those that are taught to speak this way to promote some weird sense of political correctness will doom those people to stay in the Ghetto where they can keep their limited vulgar vocabulary to themselves and never get anywhere in life that amount to anything worthwhile.

As a language purist who winces when I see the subjunctive abused or neglected, I sympathize. On the other hand, English is (arguably) the most adaptive, concise, rapidly growing language. It's sources of growth are technology, slang, and foreign influences. Some of the vulgarities of today will be the accepted or standard English of 50 years from now. Now I step off my soapbox...

We are not so subjected to Ghetto Slang in New Zealand, so it is no so much of an issue here. Although we always get the few who try to find some sense of identity by imitating (aping?) what they see in movies and TV. Our main issue is that we have a growing trend of reducing the written language to teletex form. Using teletexting is very popular because it is a cheap way of communicating. It seems that some people get so use to using teletext abbreviations that they also use it in their emails and their letters to other people. I have seen an application form send to an employer mostly written in TXT. I don't know what the result of the application was, but I am pretty sure that there was no interview follow-up. TX all 4now bcool