xisto Community
soleimanian

How To Play *.rm Files With Media Player

How to play Real audio and video files (*.rm) with Windows Media player!? :)
Because of competition between Microsoft and Real Networks, Windows Media Player does not support Real audio and video files, and real networks does not release any patch for WMP. But, Real has released a patch for other media players.
Now, I want learn you, how you can use this patch to play Real audio and video files.
You should have Windows Media Player and Real Player:
1- First go to sourceforge.net website and download RealMedia Splitter from guliverkli Project. to download directly go to:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
2- Extract zipped file and copy it to your system directory:
Win9x: c:\windows\system
WinXP: c:\windows\system32
3-Click Start > Run > and type âregsvr32 realmediasplitter.axâ and then click Ok.
4-Run your Windows Media Player, select âany file(*.*)â from file type field and open a *.rm file, Windows Media Player will display an error message that the selected file has an extension that is not recognized by Windows Media Player. Select check box and press ok.
Now enjoy whit your Windows Media Player!? :P

To add *.rm extension to your WMP file type field :
Run Registry Editor and find following key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Extensions\Types
Double click on â1â and add *.rm to value data field.

NOTE : incorrectly editing the registry may damage your system. Before making changes please create a back up.

Useful.. If you had something against RealPlayer. I've used RealPlayer for a long time, and I prefer it to Windows Media Player because it's less obstrusive, but I guess if you wanted to look at the pretty visuals you'd use the patch :)

Yeah, Real Alternative is a great program. This suggestion is actually just a do-it-yourself version of the same things that Real Alternative does automatically. It IS nice to know how to do things by hand though...

Well, I suppose an alternative way is to convert .rm files to mp3 or wma files or other formats which Windows Media Player can play. I downloaded a format converting software sometime ago, but failed to convert real files to mp3. It may be a lack of the correct codec. I cant find the real codec anyway.

I have a lot against RealNetworks RealMedia. In the past, they were caught red handed selling any information they could gleem from your computer to advertisers, but supposedly have stopped this practice (yet nobody can really confirm they have indeed stopped). Top it off with the most recent CERT warning (linked to below) and I have darn good reason to NOT go with RealNetworks RealMedia.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ it safe. Don't view videos on your computer at all. :-)-Anonymouse

I'll appreciate if you can teach us how to convert real audio file to mp3? Have you got a patch therefore for some of the enterprise applications?
Thanks.

Use graphedit. Create a directshow filterchain with a file reader -> rm decoder -> mp3 encoder -> file writer and run it. There are easier ways, but they cost money.

Converting RM to Mp3 Type

Replying to rockarolla

Just download Switch Convertor ( google it ) And convert your .Rm files to .Mp3 ! Its easy and free player. Enjoy!

-reply by Abidh1992

Windows Media Player 9 need codec RV40

I follow soleimanian istruction, but when I play a file .Rm he require a codec RV40. Why? What I do?

-reply by frisco0

How to play Real audio and video files (*.rm) with Windows Media player!? ;) Because of competition between Microsoft and Real Networks, Windows Media Player does not support Real audio and video files, and real networks does not release any patch for WMP. But, Real has released a patch for other media players.
Now, I want learn you, how you can use this patch to play Real audio and video files.
You should have Windows Media Player and Real Player:
1- First go to sourceforge.net website and download RealMedia Splitter from guliverkli Project. to download directly go to:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
2- Extract zipped file and copy it to your system directory:
Win9x: c:\windows\system
WinXP: c:\windows\system32
3-Click Start > Run > and type âregsvr32 realmediasplitter.axâ and then click Ok.
4-Run your Windows Media Player, select âany file(*.*)â from file type field and open a *.rm file, Windows Media Player will display an error message that the selected file has an extension that is not recognized by Windows Media Player. Select check box and press ok.
Now enjoy whit your Windows Media Player!? ;)

To add *.rm extension to your WMP file type field :
Run Registry Editor and find following key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Extensions\Types
Double click on â1â and add *.rm to value data field.

NOTE : incorrectly editing the registry may damage your system. Before making changes please create a back up.

It seems that
if you download

MediaPlayer Classic
https://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
and
Real Alternative(codec)
http://finalbuilds.com/
,you will be able to play *.rm.

I was Using real player and I Installed The rm to Mp3 Converter to connvert the rm to mp3 But Suddenly I saw 1 day that my Media Player was playing rm Songs bit it was all Gone When I Install the new Version of real Media Player11 so I will Prefer To use http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_alternative.htm and Enjoyed It-reply by nadeem ehsan