xisto Community
LikMeBalleFM

I Have A Question About Defragging My HDD

I`ve noticed that after I defrag my Hard Drive a few times now since I installed WinXP for the last time the green area "non moveable files(section)" is fragged and after defrag it still is fragged,Now my question is , is it possible to defrag my HD so that the green area (non moveable section) actualy gets defragged?Maybe with some third party software or something,if anyone knows how to get this done please help me out.ps:Is this something to worry about or is it insignificant?????ThnX in advance El

Hmm, while I'm unsure of the ways to alter this, I know my "non moveable sector" has always been slightly skewed and I've never noticed any problems with my systems performance or stability so I don't imagine it is that big of an issue.

The same thing happened to me all the defragmentor dos is reconnect links and parchal files i could be that yuo have a file in your system files that is still there but there is no links to it and becuase defragementor doe not delete files it will coninue to show red. really i wouldnt worry about it its nothing much just harddrive space taken and i dont think there is a program to fix stuff like that but try scan disk it may detect something

I think I'd agree with Soleimanian. I once did it, I believe and indeed the programs weren't working at that time. So just try again, it should work, somehow.

i believe what the green area represents is your windows pagefile. that is a section of data that won't get defragged no matter what if u just do the frag normally. so hit windows+Pause, go to Advanced>Performance Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change.Hit "no paging file" and set it. reboot the computer, run defragmenter, set the pagefile back to whatever you had it before at, and then reboot again. that should take care of defragmenting all the files. another option, if that doesn't work, is after you've disabled the pagefile, restart in safe mode and run defrag from there. on some messed up systems, the hard disk keeps writing data while the defrag is going on, and it keeps restarting, ad infinitum. safe mode prevents that.

Sometimes, over a period of usage time, Windows XP deteriorates. When that happens, defragging certain sectors move or not move, depending on the amount of deterioration. My advice, if you want to really improve your pc's performance is to partition your hd and use linux, while keeping windows xp... i find that with linux my pc's performance has been much better than compared to windows xp...

Hi ElFoReal,
I agree with misfits_phreek re:

Sometimes, over a period of usage time, Windows XP deteriorates. When that happens, defragging certain sectors move or not move, depending on the amount of deterioration.

.Winblows XP uses "big" NTFS data "blocks". The bigger the data blocks..the more postential for fragmented data files..however.. the core OS files (ie. Windows..LInux etc.) should NEVER ( my oppinion) be subject to fragmentation (due to multiple reads & re-writes).. if you you want to have a STABLE OS. Good code writing = good OS files. Bad code writing = bad (unstable) OS files.
We'll we all know that XP isn't as stable as it could be...HmmmmmmmmmM !
Should you be worried ?? Maybe ..
Solutions.. =
> use Linux
> use a "dual boot" system
Hope this helps
RGPHNX

I need some help on defragging. I've always defragged (a couple times on this computer in the last 4 years) my computer while 'normal mode'.Are there any tips and advice on defragging efficiently and quickly?

I have some permanently fragmented files on my system too. It really is'nt an issue. One thing you can try though is goiong into task manager and ending all of the applications that won't crach your system (ex. leave explorer and spool going). End things like aoltray and virusscan etc. then try defragmenting.Ps. I don't know if this will do anything, but it's worth a try.

I'm in SAFE MODE, right now. Yes, SAFE MODE it is.It won't let me other applications that scan drives or something similar because my PerfectDisk trial version is not working properly. It doesn't detect any drives!!Thus, I'm just messing around with my new Nokia 6030 :D Man it's really late: 2:34 AM! I thought it would be faster than 8% an hour - but I guess it's not.

I`ve noticed that after I defrag my Hard Drive a few times now since I installed WinXP for the last time the green area "non moveable files(section)" is fragged and after defrag it still is fragged,

Now my question is , is it possible to defrag my HD so that the green area (non moveable section) actualy gets defragged?

Maybe with some third party software or something,if anyone knows how to get this done please help me out.

ps:Is this something to worry about or is it insignificant?????

ThnX in advance

El

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norton System works has a great defrag utility. It is probably about 4 times as fast as the windows default... It may fix you problem. However it is a very minor problem and nothing I would worry about.