xisto Community
LikMeBalleFM

How Do I Remotely Get Acces To My Pc?

All I want to know is how do I configure XP so I can acces my PC from an other location and is it better to use third party software to do this or will WinXP`s built-in remote desktop feature do just fine?? Please help me out.Also I want to do this as safe as I can what do I have to consider for this to be as safe as possible?ThnX in advance, .........El

You may use the Remote Desktop feature in Windows XP. But from what I understand, the computer that you want to remotely access has to be Windows XP PRO and not HOME. You can use a XP Home pc to access the other computer, but that other computer you are accessing must be XP Pro. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. :)

My suggestion is to use a third party program if the above method is giving you problems.

TightVNC - I love this program. Should be pretty simple to setup and use. It's freeware.

PC Anywhere - You probably heard of this one. It's one of the more popular commercial programs made by Symantec.

LogMeIn - Found this one a few months ago. This will give you remote access using a browser. It's similar to GoToMyPC, except it doesn't ask you for your credit card once you sign up. There's a free trial, so give it a go first if you like.

i thought you could only get remote desktop with xp pro to begin with, are you sure you can use home to access a computer ? idk... last time i checked i couldnt find the remote desktop check box under the remote tab under computer properties box (yeah thats a lot) ... idk ... is it somewhere else with home ? or am i just lost in translation

Nope. I just double checked and almost any other Windows version can be the client (the one you will be using to control the other computer). The host (one you want to control) has to be Windows XP Pro.

For more information on remote desktop, take a look at this Microsoft Article

Well, i'm just trying out TightVNC on my network pc's and IT'S GRAEAT!!!i can kkep it on my e-mail (yo install it on any pc) and very VERY easy to use.... it took me 4 minutes to sownload it and set it up in both pc's!!!!!!

Well, i'm just trying out TightVNC  on my network pc's and IT'S GRAEAT!!!

i can kkep it on my e-mail (yo install it on any pc) and very VERY easy to use.... it took me 4 minutes to sownload it and set it up in both pc's!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UltraVNC is a far better client. It allows you to open VNC sessions in a web browser (via. java) so you can access your machine on nearly any machine. UltraVNC also has file-transfer between both computers and a chat facility - which is great if you're using it to teach people how to use a computer! :D