xisto Community
crs_cwiz1405241504

FrontPage Vs. Dreamweaver

I used dreamweaver for long long time until now i think dreamweaver is the god of web-building program.Howeve i never use frontpage but i see it should be for the beginner only it shouldn't be use for professional or for big project.

This is my first time back building websites in a while, used to do it back in the day with good old Notepad. FrontPage is very user friendly, definitely for beginners using WYSIWYG programs. But if you want to do it and make it look professional, Dreamweaver is the way to go. It takes a bit to get used to, and I found it a little intimidating, but playing around with the different features and reading the various tutorials, you'll find its a very powerful program.

I'd personally go with frontpage because that is all I have used.It has good features and great editing techniques, although some of them are quite hard to work properly, and usually cause fustration.What I usually do when i make sites is i make a template in imageready, export it has html files and open them up in FP.It still does get annoying when you are trying to do something but frontpage does something else.It has an easily accessible interface, makes it very easy to find the control you wantLater on i might try another html editor to see if it is better than photoshop.Overall FP is a good program for people only new in website design and creation

I have Used both Frontpage and Dreamweaver, I prefer dreamweaver. Frontpage uses them stupid extensions which, to me, don't fully make sense make sense when you look at the code. And frontpage also produces poor code. But Frontpage is good for beginners, i am still learning how to use Dreamweaver, I didn't understand alot on it at first, but i am getting there.

This is a navigation bar out of frontpage:

<!--webbot bot="Navigation" s-orientation="vertical" s-rendering="graphics" s-type="children" b-include-home="TRUE" b-include-up="FALSE" -->

yes i do agree. i love dreamweaver, but i did find it a lot easier to use frontpage to edit templates and stuff. dreamweaver had some problems with spacings and junk. you would move something and it would just go all over the place. yeah, frontpage does create a lot of un-needed code though. thank god i figured that out a while ago. i was amazed at all the crap they toss into it. dreamweaver is better, but not perfect. it is always best to go over the code yourself.

I may be a bit of a dunce when it comes to code, but I couldn't get the same template to even work after editing it in frontpage. However, dreamweaver (even though it kept switching font on me) worked.

That being not particularily experienced in either. I still liked dreamweaver better.

IMO Dreamweaver is way better than Frontpage.It has the best WYSIWYG editer,a wide selection of tools and you have full control of what your doing.I'v got Frontpage though i'v never used it so I can't really comment on it,but from what i'v heard Frontpage is alot easier to use than Dreamweaver and it's good for beginers...

I think FP sucks compared to Dreamweaver just because it has more ready made features such as embedding a flash object and other stuff like that. Even though FP does have the express view of the webpage on the tabs unlike DW's F12 function in order to view your webpage, it doesn't really matter. I know HTML coding but I still prefer WYSIWYG programs just because it's less time consuming plus I use photoshop slicing to create my layouts and all I have left to do is to input some text.

I agree with demolaynyc. DW could kill FP anyday in quality. FrontPage seems to me like the poor mans DreamWeaver. It's easier to embed flash object, add sliced layouts from PS and pretty much manage your site. If you expierienced in HTML you'll most likely own DreamWeaver.

Well, if you're just starting out in HTML coding and other programming languages then you should first start out with a simple HTML editor to know the basic tags and what not. You shouldn't start out with a WYSISWYG editor if you don't anything about HTML because if an error occured and the "Design" view don't help, you will be forced to edit the code itself and if you don't know anything about the HTML language, you're doomed. So for a start, use Notepad and learn all the basic HTML codes. And then when you're done, you could use WYSIWYG editors such as Macromedia Dreamweaver. I prefer to use Dreamweaver rather than MS Front Page just because it's more stable and has more features. I've tried to make a webpage using FP but it was just so bad at handling my Photoshop layouts so i moved to Dreamweaver.If you are to use image layouts I prefer you use Photoshop 7+ rather than Macromedia Fireworks because it has better tools for editing the image.

For me, I have only used FrontPage once in my life. Dreamweaver is my editor of choice and find that the application can be overwhelming at first, but I feel the learning curve isn't too bad. I started out learning HTML and then moved to Dreamweaver to code it all. In my opinion, its always good to have a good background on what you're doing cause if something doesn't look right, you could always check the HTML. Dreamweaver has a very good reference section that explains the different tags for HTML and other languages. The reason why I like Dreamweaver is because the user interface is not intrusive in any way. Every panel can be hidden so all you see is the workspace and the reason why I like this is because I can open up and edit multiple files at a time and still be organized. In the end it's what you're most familiar with that will get you the best results.

Frontpage is dead for two good reasons: a lot of messy and unneccesary code and poor features. Dreamweaver is not perfect, but it is the best WYSIWYG web design program out there.A combination of pure programming in notepad, Dreamweaver and Photoshop, for sure produces amazing websites.