xisto Community
Koel

Microphone Input Port Is Causing Static

I use my computer to record music stuff. A big problem with my production qulaity is that there is a slight buzzing with the mic input. I have narrowed it down to being the input on the computer. I use a AUDIX OM 2 mic and I have to use a 1/8 inch adaptor to connect the mic wire to the computer. I use the same microphone and cable when I perform and it doesnt give me that problem on amps, and I have tried switching out the adaptor. So Im thinking the solution would be to change out the input, but I dont really know what to buy. How exaclty would I go about changing out a mic input? Do I have to buy a whole new soundcard?

Static noise is created by the electric field radiated by a voltage source when coupled capacitively into the instrumentation circuit. The most efficient means to combat static noise is to place the circuit inside a total coverage shield, thus isolating the wires form outside influence. A grounded shield interrupts the static noise and transports it to ground. It is important that the shield be grounded in order to reduce static noise as an ungrounded (floating) shield will not.

:)
Notice from Klass:

Static noise is created by the electric field radiated by a voltage source when coupled capacitively into the instrumentation circuit. The most efficient means to combat static noise is to place the circuit inside a total coverage shield, thus isolating the wires form outside influence. A grounded shield interrupts the static noise and transports it to ground. It is important that the shield be grounded in order to reduce static noise as an ungrounded (floating) shield will not. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, im not quite sure what any of that means, but im going to assume you do. You said something about isolating the wires and grounding it. Im guessing I will have to go out and buy somethign to accomplish this. Could you point me in the direction of exaclty what to get?

There is a lot of information out there if you do a search.

Just doing a quick search, I came up with a few places which seem to have good information

O'Reilly

I like this one and have bookmarked it to keep. It lists several problems of recording and how to reduce noise. You might want to read this before you go out and buy anything.

Digital Sound Recording

I know that one time I was trying to get an audio cassette I made into my mac by using an cassette player that was powered by electricity. It produced a hum when recorded on the mac that wasn't on the original cassette. When I used a battery powered cassette player, the hum was not there when recording to the hard drive.

Don't give up. You'll find a working solution. Let us know what happens.

Is the cable for your mic magnetically sheilded? If not then it is interference from a high-voltage electricity source (probably the PSU on your computer). Check to see if the mc cable is sheilded, and if it isn't, look into purchasing one that is.

EDIT: If the cable IS sheilded, it is probably the 1/8 adaptor.

This link provides some insight into magnetic sheilding

-Scribe-

i advice you to check out if the microphone's cable is ok.... because 90% of the cables are not good if you are trying to record some music... i don't think it's the soundcard, because i had almost the same problem with a mic... and i replaced the cable and found out that it was the problem... if not, it is possible that you have an electric tension in the case.... if that is the case, this voltage interferes with the microphone's input... and it's a danger for you too...But i think the cable is responsable for this problem...

Try recording without the micMicrophone Input Port Is Causing Static

Acknowledging I'm ressurrecting a long dead thread... I don't think the above are correct in this case. If anyone has the same trouble, try recording without anything plugged into the "mic-in" port. If you still hear the static or buzzing, it's not the cable.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to correct it.

-reply by Info

Okay here is my 2 cents. I'm learning about karaoke software... yah dah dah...So I my pc and laptop both have mics (pink imput adapter) and speakers... uh huh. I try some software other than typical media players WMP11, iTunes, etc. And I buy a standard mic. Okay. By chance my mic came with a stand mic adapter to mini-audio (sorry, don't know the exact terms.) I also have some spare adapters and connecters from my audio days.Well I found out my pc's motherboard's internal sound card has cheap mic boot options +12DB while my laptop goes to +20.And I found out there is always noise regardless of how it is setup. I'm thinking the +DB boost has something to do with it, not to mention the software/windows mic imput volume sliderbar.Also from a hardware point of view. Certain connectors do not work with the microphone. Upon examination. The gold tip spacings on the microphone adapters' connectors and different. While this might not affect typical audio it could have an impact on sounds cards mic input.EDIT: make sure you are not using a stereo to mono or mono to stereo adapter/plug. That will not work.Quality. The quality of my connectors also vary. In addition to my mic which was only $8.90 plus tax. The lowest possible I could by instore. I guess you have to look for the sensitivity and the gain on that one. All greek to me there.So yeah those are some of the various variables that come to mine when it comes to microphones and pc audio setups. :D

Edited by levimage (see edit history)

My Mixer Is Acting StrangeMicrophone Input Port Is Causing StaticI Bought A Eurorack UB1202 Mixer. I Bought A RCA 3.5mm Cable to put it in the Tape Out Section Of The Mixer. For about the first 3 Months of when I bought It. Just Recently I Plugged In My Microphone Before I Turned On The Mixer And Connected The RCA 3.5mm To My Input Port Of My Computer And Suddenly My Computer Picked Up A Buzzing Sound Instead Of The Microphone. So I Switched The Cable Of Both The RCA and Microphone Cable Because That's What I Thought It Was. I Can't Find Out What The Problem Is.

-reply by Jorge Ocegueda