xisto Community
volrathxiii

The Best Database What do you think is the best database?

Well, everything depends on the necessity and budget. MySQL is free and pretty much simple. So obviously for normal purposes (Small databases.) this should be suffice. But in general if you want to lean a database that has real class or something like, then there are a lot of options. The most noticable are MS SQL, Oracle, Sybase, SAP. I don't know much about SAP. And as far as my knowledge goes, SAP is useful for huge amount of data. Oracle too is a cometetor there and Oracle is one amonthe best databases I've come across. I've worked on Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL. MS SQL is one among the easiest databases to use. Specially to perform activities like backup and recovery (Basically DBA activities), it's very convinient in MS SQL. On the other hand Oracle gives a lot of options, so it becomes a little difficult till you get used it. When it comes to Sybase again my knoledge is limited. It offers a lot of good features(so does oracle). But Oracle scores in a lot of regions. It supports ANSI syntax for SQL (Oracle 9i onwards). It's lock handling mechanism is the best. Specially once your table data crosses size of 1-2GB, you'll have real tough time fetching records from MS SQL database. But Oracle will not give you much of a problem. Basically Oracle fairs better in most of the areas. I do not wish to write much about these as I believe we would never be rich enough to buy these databases. So the best free database is MySQL. (In my Opinion :) )

I see a lot of guys loving mysql, nobody talking about oracle ?

For a basic web app? Depending on how much data, I might recommend Postgres. It has some higher end features than MySQL, including better parallel query support, data constraints, stored procedures, failover and replication. Oracle has a lot of administration overhead to say nothing of the cost. You have to make sure that price is worth it. Just MySQL can handle quite a bit.

I agree, I think MySQL is the most popular and the most easy to use. Almost all webhosts offer MySQl instead of anyother databases. Personally, I would go and learn it because it is extremly useful when you are making websites with different login places and such.

I recommend trying out MySQL with PHP (If you still haven't tried it). Although SQL Server is great and all, MySQL is a very fast database and responses very quickly (seems as if a static HTML document is loaded). Integrating it with PHP is real easy and quick to learn. It's just like learning how three functions work and how they are utilized.Also use PHPMyAdmin, which views the values stored in your databases and manipulates it. I've been using it for a while now and it's very helpful indeed. Although people look down on MySQL and prefer MS, it's a great database for use in Web Applications. If you would like to get even better, learn and integrate the Ajax object.XHTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL/Ajax(Javascript) I believe is the best combination for a web application.

in my opinion mysql is the best database beacause it's easy to understand and its filed in a logical way i've personally never had a problem with it so there is no real reason to change to something new that may turn out to be worse. mysql can also be used in windows and linux which makes up for most of the computer users which means alot of people use it so support is in abundance. man i love mysql hah.

MySQL is the best for web development. MyISAM is really fast and very reliable. I had managed a database with tables of more than 700MB without problems, EVERY LITTLE BIT IS STORED OK. Just put attention on the support. Unstable/Unexperienced hosting is the more dangerous risk.For very large databases Don't forget to use only the needed indexes, fields type&size and well designed/tested structure. Consider database replication and to synchronize your local copies SJA is a nice tool!

The best database is the one that does the job. I've seen situations where Access was the best solution for a given customer. For most web applications it's MySQL since most commands are SELECT. And if you want a lot of features without a lot of costs, PostgreSQL works quite nicely. The only Database I've dealt with and hated was Oracle. Granted this was 8 years ago and we bought the Oracle 8i package for SuSE linux. It never did work.