xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
szupie

Google Toolbar For Firefox Yay, Its out

I just found out that Google Toolbar is out for Firefox. I downloaded and installed it immediately, but I was a bit disappointed. Although there are a few new features that are not available in Googlebar (the mozdev one) like AutoLink, SpellCheck and PageRank (though I rarely use this one), it has much less tools than Googlebar.There is one tool that lets you search throught your mails in Gmail through your Google Toolbar, it was mostly redundant. When you want to search your mail, you usually already have your Gmail opened. Another point, to search through your mail, you have to login to Gmail first, so you have to wait through the loading time to login to Gmail or Google Accounts first before you search. And because Gmail uses ActiveX, the pages take longer to load than Google search pages, so using the toolbar takes almost as much time to open up Gmail and then search on the page's search form. The only time it is somewhat useful is if you're on a really low speed dial-up, and you've already logined to Gmail before but closed the page. Then you can save the loading time to load the initial search page, which is your inbox page.There is one thing I liked about it: The buttons in Google Toolbar look better than the ones in Googlebar. But that excludes that hideous expanding-search-field button, on the right of the field. That one with 2 arrows with a column in the middle.

It is good that Google had launhed Google Bar for firefox. The industry is giving importance to Firefox. But this toolbar is of no use for me. As Jeigh has said I am pretty satisifed with the Search box infront of the address bar. I did not like any of the toolbars because they takes the space of my broswser. I have only one single toolbar is my firefox. I have hide Navigation and Bookmarks toolbar also. But for the persons who were using Googlebar , the new google toolbar from Google will help.

Hey saxsux thanks for the link to the mozdev googlebar. I'm not a huge fan of toolbars myself but I think I'm going to check it out and see what I think. You never know I might just change my mind.

with ie, it was ok. IE is just too basic so you do need toolbars to add new features, but firefox has enough features for any toolbar. perhaps the only feature i miss of the googlebar is the pagerank feature - but it's more than my time's worth to install a bar just for that rarely useful feature.