xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

My Summer Is Ruined! Please help, computer down

Ok, I was playing Age of Mythology on my computer and then suddenly my computer shut down. I had no idea what happened. Me and my brother opened the CPU (the big rectangle thing) and started to check each component. When we turn on the computer, there is nothing on the monitor, also, there are no sounds, and the hard-drive is not spinning (guessing from it's sound). Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this problelm? Or should I contact a computer-hardware shop for professional help? Please reply asap, that's my gaming computer, so I really need it bad or else I will have to spend my summer outside. :P

Well it could be a couple of things...first: It could be unplugged (I know this is simple but it could happen). Second: You power supply could be shot. Easy fix. buy a new one. Third: The mother board might be shot. In this case you would have to buy a new one.There are a couple of others that I can't thing of right now.Thanks,Rich

Id call that a shot power pack aswell.check it by swapping the monitor power lead and the unit power leads, if it still doesnt work, its most probably a power pack thats killed itself, only about $20 to replace.

First off, let me ask you a question...

When you say CPU do you mean the whole box that is your computer, or do you mean the chip on the mother board?

Second off, what did you check when you opened the system unit (The Main Box that you hook your monitor and modem, and speakers and all into)?

Did you unplug anything while you were in there? If so, Plug it Back In. I have had this problem with a couple of machines that I have built, and the solution was as simple as plugging the HDD controller cable in...

Also, what were you doing when it shut down on you?

Third, if none of that Applies, can you give me any details about this system, Like what mother board it uses, what video card, what OS, and the likes. I might be able to guide you through brigning this unit back to life....

-William

Edited by wwheeler (see edit history)

By CPU, I mean the whole box. Well, we checked the processor, the hard-drive, power-supply, and the speaker that was inside the CPU. But, there was no real remedy to it because there was no display.I was playing Age of Mythology (I always shut off internet, LAN, and other applications that might affect the performance of the game) The computer just quickly shut down on me when I was playing the game. And now, whenever I try to turn it on, there is no screen display.Here's is the computer info:CPU : 950 MhzHard Drive: 30 GBMemory: 612 MB (before like a week ago, we had 512, but we jammed another one from an HP Computer)Graphics Card: 128 MB - nVidia GeForce1 CD-DRIVE , 1 CD-WRITER (Nero used)Windows XP ProPower Supply: Standard for North AmericaI also suspect that it is the hard drive causing the problem. But I am not sure. Please help. Thanks. :P

By CPU, I mean the whole box.

Well, we checked the processor, the hard-drive, power-supply, and the speaker that was inside the CPU.  But, there was no real remedy to it because there was no display.

Memory: 612 MB (before like a week ago, we had 512, but we jammed another one from an HP Computer)

Windows XP Pro

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, a CPU is the lil square thing inside that box. 612MB memory is impossible, since they make it only in 128, 256 or 512 and higher pieces now. With memory you have to be careful to insert it, that it's the correct part (compatible with your motherboard). And static electricity, believe me, I've fried my ram like that once.

You could have fried just about any part of your computer box LOL, going from the motherboard to the graphic card. But going by no HD sounds, no display... PSU is ruined (PSU Power Supply Unit)

My best advice, take it to a shop. If you're calling the big box a CPU then I don't think you know how to do hardware diagnostics so keep it safe, to make sure YOU don't get fried or break other stuff while trying to fix it, just take it to a shop. They have special tools to find out what part is broken.

PS. I recommend against using XP Pro on a 950MHz, I've done that and Win 2K Pro runs much better.

Yea, actually I meant the two things, "I opened the CPU (big rectangle box)" and I checked / diagnosed "CPU - Processor" Thanks for your advice man, I better take it to a computer shop, because I am tired of fixing it. Thanks to all the guys who helped too. One of my laptop, which is 500 mhz (Pentium 2) has Windows XP on it, and it is working perfectly. The other, which is a computer, has 800 mhz, with Windows XP, the only problem is that it's too slow, even though the memory is 256 mb. I am in serious difficulty for my computers.Thanks to everyone. Suggestions always welcome!

I'm wondering if something might have happened to that electrical socket. It's happened to me before, something going on in the lines somewhere and blowing the outlet.Did you try moving the computer to another location and trying that?Please tell me you had a surge protector on your computer. Many times, even a cheap surge protector, has saved a good gaming computer.I feel for you.Let us know what happened.

Why on earth did you unplug, was it not re-starting anyway, or did you tak matters into your own hands.The computer could of overheated.The Internet Game had given a virus to your computer and amde it switch down,a dn tons of other things!!My computer has probably shut down about 75 times whilst playing runescape, and my account has been hacked tons of times as well during this as well as receiving a large amount of viruses, I just give it 15 minutes, unplug all the cables, reconnect then restart if it wasn't already restarting normally by it self.