xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trekkie101

SMF 1.1 Beta Released! Just released

The long awaited SMF 1.1 has been released.

Its currently in beta so I would not recomend anyone trys it if they have customs alterations such as themes and mods.

This brings hundreds of NEW feeatures, and lot more admin control, its been a year in development and is now out. Its free to upgrade and wont ever charge.

It also included an Admin Panel overhaul and now the admin panel is like ten times better than before, its much more efficient and faster than before. The SMf community love it, this release is the feature freeze before it goes Release Candidate, then after that it will go to the stable tree.

When it feature freezes, SMF 1.2 development will begin and this release will have new features and more to play with, although thats about a year away as of now.

SMF has added a lot of features, and now there isnt any solid reason why anything is better than SMF.

Theres a convertor for just about every forum software that exists, and theres a list of ones to be created. If your choice isnt there, add it to the list and they will make one for it.

SMF 1.1 is truly remarkable, you can update EASILY by, downloading the "UPGRADE" package from http://download.simplemachines.org/ here and then running the script called "upgrade.php" in your browser, you wont loose ANY posts or members, but you will loose all your mods, most of them arent compatable yet anyway, but the authors will be working fast to get this upgraded soon.

SMF 1.0 will still be supported for 1 full year from now, so in a years time there still maybe be more releases, such as SMF 1.0.6 for those who do not wish to loose their mods or to upgrade.

I know I said "When you update SMF you wont loose your mods" before but thats still true, this is a ONCE A YEAR upgrade, re-adding your mods is still as simple as it will ever be, and 1.1.1 will be a package manager simple upgrade.

This release adds a ton of new security features to stop attacks, it uses some very advanced methods to stop attacks before they happen. This release wont be fully stable for another few months I would reckon but for those people who want the new features, feel free to upgrade.

Questions? As always are encouraged to be asked.

I know you are the SMF genius here and that I shouldn't argue this, but I swear that this was relased like 2 months ago wasn't it? :PI never upgraded becuase I don't want to lose my arcade scores, even though they probably won't be lost, there are lots of people that dedicate too much time to beating highscores on that and if they were to be wiped out I think I'd get more than few bruises.

Release date on: June 27, 2005, 03:40:16 AMExactly :P Yeah it was released like two months ago to Charter Members (paid beta testers with instant support) but its just went Beta to the public, I never thought of posting before asit was a beta, but it seemed more than stable at my site so I felt it would be best to mention it, but yeah its been a bit too long on my behalf to have posted here about this. Today I just thought it right to announce it.Yeah its probably best not to upgrade, SMF 1.0.5 has no known security holes and the SMF 1.0.X tree will be around for about another year and continuly updated to patch bugs and security.

Trekkie, did you lose your mods after the upgrade? I have a few mods installed, and I'm afraid that they may not be compatible with 1.1...I will install it when I get my site done, or when it is out of beta stage, depending on which comes first.

Most mods dont work, could you give me a list of your mods and ill keep a check on them, although I do think it would be better to wait until its out of beta, the code could change again.

Hmm since 1.0.5 doesn't have any major sercurity problems, what exactly is the advantage of upgrading to 1.1, and what new features will the final version have when it is finally released to the public as stable?

Wow! That's a heck of a lot of changes and additions. The admin panel has definitely changed a lot, it's much easier now and everything is grouped more correctly. It takes another click or two to modify themes though. :P Everything is in groups, I dunno if that has always been the case and I ain't noticed, but now there are choices along the top of each group of options. I can't really be bothered reading through the whole changelog, are there any major in-board/in-post changes? Thanks a bunch for any answers to these questions! :P

Trekkie, you said that we should hold off on the upgrade until it's a stable release. What problems were reported? I'm thinking about upgrading since I really like the new admin panel there.

My site doesn't have a lot of MODS installed. Basically all it has now is the Integrated Chat and SMF Games. You mentioned that by upgrading all the MODS will be deleted. Does this also go for the update file (if there is one)? I assume this is because of the huge code change that's been talked about. I will probably just go with the upgrade and reinstall the MODS if anything. Just wanted to check with you to see what were the problems (if any).

Are these MODS SMF 1.1 compatible?

Integrated Chat

SMF Games

I remember testing out some of the other MODS already and see that they work on SMF 1.1. Haven't tried the above two yet though.

One last question. Why do I have PHP 4.4.0 Compatibility Update as one of my packages there? I didn't install it yet but when I clicked on Browse Packages, it showed me the 2 MODS I installed and then this PHP one. It's not installed (has Apply Mod link there) but just curious how it got there. Also, why does my Integrated Chat Mod have the Apply Mod also? I installed it already and it's working without any problems.

Thanks.

When you upload the SMF 1.1 contents, via FTP (No package manager update available) it will overwrite your source files, this will kill the mods, but re-installation should be a breeze, I only recomended you held off, if you werent comfortable re-adding mods, as you may have to again when the final version comes out of beta, although of that im really not sure.

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=60
This mod, if this is the one you mean, yes its 1.1 ready and can be used :)

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=36 for Gmaes/Arcade is compatable also :P

The PHP 4.4.0 Compatability Update, is for a slight change, if Xisto updates to PHP 4.4.0 instead of 4.3.11 then theres a line in SMF that needs changed for it to function or else you get a lot of errors, If you update to 1.1B3 though youll be fine without the patch.

Sometimes the mod thing becomes a bit screwey, after the update to 1.1B3 that should be sorted.

Thanks Trekkie. I should have checked the SMF site earlier before asking here. :)All of the MODS I installed on my forum are the more straight forward ones, where I can just install directly from the Package Manager. No required editing of any PHP files. So should I get SMF 1.1b3 then? I don't mind re-applying the MODS again when the stable release comes out. Just want to get this puppy up and running LOL.OK, I just did this yesterday:1. Backed up my database in SMF (did everything - checked all 3 options)2. Created a backup of my home directory in cPanelI assume those 2 steps are probably best since they will have my database and then the PHP files for SMF. So if anything goes wrong, can I just import them back and get it to work like it was previously?

Yeah, a database backup is basically all that is needed to go back.

Now, its just upload the SMF 1.1 "Upgrade" package! http://download.simplemachines.org/ that one! through FTP, so download it, unzip, upload, and then run upgrade.php in your browser.

And you should then be updated to SMF 1.1, a quick jump to your package manager and apply all your mods, and thats you.

Let me know of the result, Good Luck!

OK, I'm confident I know what to do from here, but just want to confirm on one thing. Is just the database backup enough? I mean, shouldn't I also backup my PHP files for the forum? I assume that the upgrade will modify the PHP files.Will try to get to this tonight and let you know the status.Thanks so much for your great support here.