xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trojan

Partitioning A Drive Can someone explain to me how?

Can someone explain to me how you can Partition a C:/ Drive on windows so it is split into two parts? I don't understand how it is done...

Can someone explain to me how you can Partition a C:/ Drive on windows so it is split into two parts? I don't understand how it is done...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi Trojan , I have the solution ,the Symantec Norton PartitionMagic lets you easily organize your hard drive by creating, resizing, copying, and merging disk partitions. Separate your operating system, applications, documents, music, photos, games, and backup files to reduce the risk of data loss if your system crashes. You can use Norton PartitionMagic to run multiple operating systems safely.

you can download

here a demo

:P

For a solution that doesn't require commercial software, I recommend SystemRescueCd. This is a solution that is based on a distribution of Linux. Thankfully, however, no knowledge of Linux is needed to run SystemRescueCd. As a bonus, SystemRescueCd even includes the program QtParted, a clone of PartitionMagic.

Keep in mind that this process is a little longer than simply downloading a demo of PartitionMagic. However, the benefit is that you use truly free software and will have access to this software in the future.

Having said all that, you should first download a copy of SystemRescueCd. You can download a copy from SourceForge by clicking any of the little icons on the right side of the page. Once you have downloaded this file (an ISO file), you'll need to record it to CD either by using Nero Burning ROM or a tool such as the ISO Recorder Power Toy. (If anyone reading this has any further problems, feel free to IM me or reply here.) After you finish recording to CD, you'll have a copy of SystemRescueCd.

Keep this newly-recorded CD in your computer and restart your computer. If your BIOS is set to boot from CD, you'll see a penguin logo on your screen as the CD waits for its next instruction. (For those of you with BIOS settings that cause your computer not to boot to CD, please feel free to reply or IM, as before.) Simply press enter at this screen, and the computer will load the CD. After a bunch of text scrolls off, you will be left at a prompt with a page full of instructions. Simply type

CONSOLE
run_qtparted
and choose "Auto-Detect" for mouse, and you'll be in the partitioning program QtParted.

From there, the controls are somewhat intuitive. Simply click your existing partition, click the resize button, and choose its new size. Next, click on the empty space and create a new partition. If you are using Windows XP, choose "NTFS" as your drive type. For anything older than Windows XP, choose "FAT32" or "FAT" (whichever is available). Finally, just click "commit" and you'll be ready to go.

I agree that this seems like a daunting list of instructions, but remember that I'm also detailing instructions I would have given had I recommended PartitionMagic anyway. I'll also think of posting a How-To about using SystemRescueCd based on this post sometime in the future.

Good luck, everyone!

hi trojan,
altenatively you can partition ur drive by simple dos program called "ranish" partition manager can be downloaded from ranish ,u can then partition ur drive from the boot disk.it is easy to use and can be reliable also.

Alternatively again, you can use the best (in my opinion) Acronis Partition Manager, which is made by a well established company and it allows you to modify partiions quickly and easily, and it also includes it's own booter if you ever need it.

I prefer Partition Magic it's a very good program to partition your disk and I used it many times.

_=jeroen=_

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

partition magic is ok. i've used it on several computers. the only problem i've had is if somehow the MFT gets corrupted through a major power outage/surge, or similar. then i wasn't able to access the disk anymore. i would recommend to go with the default xp setup partitioning. it's easy, safe and doesn't leave much room for error. it's less prone to crashing. from what i hear it's also faster and the disk heads access data quicker than if it was only a "imaginary" partition.

yes....too many ways to do this job...I use fdisk. it is a dos program which is include in win95/98/ME boot disk.it is a very simple:1. use win95/98/ME boot disk to boot up your computer.2. issuse fdisk command. it looks like this

CONSOLE
A:> fdisk
3.Create a Primary partition4.Create extension partion5.create logic partion.That's it. Try it.