xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

New: Astahost Search Plugin For Mozilla Firefox Make fluid searches on Astahost

Dear members,

I'm proud and happy - all under the same breath - to present you with a brand new Search Plugin for Mozilla FireFox browsers. It was created to make your searches on Xisto a mere breeze. It installs itself in the same space as your Google Search Bar in Firefox - and does direct search of the Xisto Forums. This eliminates the need to load the Search page completely, unless you want to use any of the Advanced Search features.

Installation

All you need to do is visit our Plugins & Extensions page at: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and select your desired search plugin. Be sure to read the instructions there. When you click on the appropriate plugin name, it gets automatically installed in Firefox. Next, when you click on the dropdown list of available search plugins, you'll clearly see the Xisto Icon.

Here is a Screenshot of Firefox Search bar after you've installed the plugin.

Posted Image

Usage

Simply select the Xisto Search option from the dropdown list, type in your query and press enter. The appropriate results will immediately get listed in your browser.

Update

The plugin is set to auto-update itself, and checks for updates automatically everyday. In case we announce an update, it'll automatically update itself from the same location the very same day.

Enjoy :lol:

Regards,

m^e

P.S.: Don't hesitate to contact me in case of any technical queries/problems in installing the plugin.

I know it would be hard, but could you make the script available to Googlebar users? I use that extension in place of the default search thing of Firefox, and I still want to search Xisto with it.

I know it would be hard, but could you make the script available to Googlebar users? I use that extension in place of the default search thing of Firefox, and I still want to search Xisto with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. Thanks for giving me a new objective :lol: I was wondering what to do next.. Lets see if I can crack this nut :lol:

Oh.. and I also need reviews on this plugin from those who've tried it already.. about speed, ease of use etc. etc.. whatever you have felt after using it. That'll help me improve it.

Ooh, comments...I think it was quite fast. Much faster than trying to load the search page, then actually search. But, Xisto's server is still quite slow, so displaying the results page still takes some time. But that isn't your plugin's fault.Also, you can add some more functions to it, maybe like when you have "user:" before your searching keywords, it would search posts made by the user with the first keyword of your search. Kinda like the "define:" or "site:" function of Google.

M^E, I was wondering if you would be willing to make a tutorial on writing extensions or plugins or whatever category this falls under for Firefox. And also, When I get home next week (this coming Wednessday) I will see if I can start work on an Xisto search plugin for IE if you haven't already done so. And netscape for those who use that.~Viz

Oh how cooool :lol: I've no clue about IE plugins - if you can do that.. AWESOMEEEE ... yup.. I'll create a quick tutorial about the search plugins.Meanwhile, Thanks for the encouragement guys :lol: The plugins installation procedure has been updated - check the first post again. Now you don't need to manually download and unzip the plugin. Simply follow the link mentioned there, and click on the appropriate plugin to install it automatically into Firefox - just like Mozilla's own page for Firefox search plugins...Have fun :lol:Regards,m^e

Awesome. Good luck with the IE plugin thing... if those exist? I havn't really heard of any other then toolbar type things so I guess you could make a toolbar that let you search here maybe? I dunno. IE would benefit alot from extension type plugins tho I think, too bad M$ is evil :| haha. But good luck with your attempted attempts!

IE sortof has plugins, like the yahoo toolbar and googlebar. I'm going to try and make something like thatmaybe a button that you can add to the standard toolbar like Adobe has for Acrobat. It's going to take a lot of work and research, and I'm not home right now, so please be patient, I promise to mkae it my number 1 priority.~Viz

Yea the button like that annoying acrobat one would liekly be the best solution for this type of thing. Having a whole toolbar for just a search thing would be overkill...plus I hate toolbars entirely lol.

I do too, which is why I have to do research, not just start coding right away. Plus I need to talk to m^e and make sure my search uses the same algorithm as his, or look at his to improve upon it.~Viz