xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
djwacko

Favorite Media Player Whats yours?

for dvds i use windvd platinum6. i tried the version 7 but was disappointed with several "bugs" that at least on my computer made watching a movie unpleasant. the window would resize on startup to a strange angle, the sound had major echos when trying to boost volume, and occasionally would go off altogether, and only come back when i restarted the program. then one day it just decided to stop working completely. so i swtiched back to version 6. for my audio files i use winamp 5. the visualizations are great, the vast amount of plugins beats anything else, and the great skins available make it IMO the best there is.

For playing mp3s, I prefer to use Winamp. I find that it doesnt use a lot of memory so I can always have it in the background. However for movies or video, I find Windows Media Player to be very useful. Just the fact that it will play most files if I have the correct codec installed. However for streaming videos from the internet, I prefer to use Quicktime. I find that the image quality is better but not all websites use it so I'm content with WMP. I however refuse to use RealPlayer or anything associated with it since there generally is a Windows Media alternative to the content I need to view.

When I'm on my Mac I use iTunes, and it is great. But one I like that most people probably don't use is one called Creative MediaSource. It is software that came with my Creative MuVo TX FM MP3 player. It has a lot of good features for recording, and can record the stereo output from your computer, so if you need to convert a file but it doesnt seem to be working, just play it in a compatible media player while recording stereo out with MediaSource. In my opinion, it is a great program that most people don't get to use. If you want to try it out, you would have to buy a Creative MP3 player, although they are a good brand of mp3 players...

I like windows media player, but I find myself having to use all the different players whenever I get online media. I listen to all my music on windows media player, but videos I have to watch in whatever format they are in. I really wish they would all stick to one thing, rater than making me go out and download 5 different programs.

I use Beep Media Player for music, found it really good and i don't really need millions of features on a player. :)

Mine must be JetAudio Basic. It's free, innovative and way much better than all other media players I've seen.I also use Irfanview, which seems to be able to handle practically any type of media, be it images or sound.

I use videolan to play almost all my files except mp3 which i use winamp to do that. Videolan is the one stop shop because it plays mp3s aswell but for sentimental reasons i use winamp. It may not be pleasing on the eyes but thats wat makes it so portable. Another cool feature of Videolan is that in the even of a new codec being released all you have to do is download the latest version of it and install it sets up everything, another great feature which i find extremely useful is it plays corrupt or unfinished .avi files and also mounts .cue .bin files so no need for daemon tools or alcohol which makes life alot easier.

Winamp for the music and most movie-files, mediaplayer classic for realmedia stuff and finally BS-player for the more advanced movies (subtitles and multiple audiostreams etc.)