xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kyole

30 Second Mountains Mountain creation in Terragen

A free program called Terragen lets you easily create mountains in no time at all. Heres quick start guide to have mountains for your graphics in no time.

1.Go download the program from here.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/

2. Hit World file>Generate terrain. then it will open up this menu.

Posted Image

Rundown:

-1 realsim of course is how detailed and realistic the textures of the

mountains look.

smoothing will smooth it out make it look not so rough and cgish.

Glaycionism and Canyonism determiens how low the valleys and

how high the peeks are

-2When finished with it and have your mountains the way you liek hit

generate terrain button and it will load your new terrain.

-3 This is a black & white displacement readout white being the peaks

and black being valleys any of you with previous displacement

methods in 3ds max will recognize this

-4 this is the rendering detail button on the render options menu to

vary from low to high poly renders.

-5 This is the final render thmbnail preview.

3. Copy my settings then render then varying on what you want experiment fom there.

Posted Image

Looks pretty bogus to me. The program intself just allows you to edit some stuff like textures but basically everything's pre-loaded. Like Neverseen had said, Terragen makes it too easy and there's no point to it if you can't use your own design to actually make it. 30 seconds is a pretty short time to make such highly detailed mountains so i doubt that you have to put a real effort to actually look like mountains at all.

It's neat in a way .. but I think if you're going to be developing your own game you ought to put a bit more thought and creativity into your graphics. To use an online generator proggy is sorta lame. :S Although, for the graphically challeneged (me!) it could be a useful tool.

terragen is cool in the beginning, nut after working some longer with it you can see very fast that it's very limited. I mean there's always the same style of mountains which comes.. and now I can easily say if the 3d mountain was created with Terragen or not, because they're all same.

O__oIts, urrm, odd is one word to call it :) but I think its quite cool.My only paint and graphicing program is GIMP 2 because most other programs cost too much.Do you guys think they're all overpriced as well or what, I think they're mostly rip-offs, except for the odd safe and secure program, that maybe takes a lot of space up, but is easy and simple to use and remove and saves in multiple formats.I will consider making mountains and hills - even though it sounds weird, but cool. It'll probably take me nearer, say, what 30 hours :)