xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Killtacular

How-to Make Two Different Abstract Sig Backgrounds

Greetings.

In this short How-to Tutorial, I will show you how to make two simple but cool-looking backgrounds. For reference, I will be using Photoshop CS2, but the functions used are present on almost all versions. The signatures made will be 450x125 px, although these tutorials can be done at any size (even desktop backgounds). Note: this tutorial assumes you are familiar with Photoshop's basic functions, including as layers and filters.

Tutorial I: Inferno

This tutorial will show you how to make a drastic fiery backgound.

1. Start by creating a new Photoshop image, at whatever size your image will be (I'm using 450x125). (If you already have an image and you want to add a background, create a new layer, move it below all the other layers, name it "Background", and hide all the other layers.) Now, press 'D' to reset your color palettes to the default black and white.

2. Once your set up, select your Gradient tool from the toobar (G). Make sure your gradient is the default "foreground-to-background", set the blending mode to "Difference", and the Opacity to 100%.

Posted Image

3. Now, with your Gradient tool, go crazy with it all over the canvas. Just click and hold randomly somewhere, drag your cursor to another random spot, and release the click. Repeat about 40 times (don't worry, it goes quickly). While you're doing that, try to make it so it's darker on the top than it is on the bottom. While this is not necessary, it makes the overal outcome look better.

Posted Image

4. After you've got something you like, select the "Reflected Gradient" from the Gradient toolbar. Make an even amount (4,6, or 8) of "lines" by clicking and holding in one spot, dragging to another spot that is relativly close to the other, and releasing. Refer to the image below for an example.

Posted Image

5. Now, duplicate your background layer (Ctrl+J). Go to Filter>Distort>Wave with all of the default settings except:

Wavelength: Min:5, Max:30

Ampletude: Max:20

You may want to randomize the Wave a few times to get optimal results. Change the blending mode of the filtered layer to "Lighten". Then merge the new layer with the original (Ctrl+E).

Posted Image

6. We're almost done! Press Ctrl+B to enter the Color Balance window. With "Preserve Luminosity" checked, give the Color Balance the following color levels:

Shadows: -100, 0, +100

Midtones: -70, 0 +70

Highlights: -50, 0, +50

This will give you your fiery tone.

Posted Image

7. You have now completed the background for your sig. It is time to add borders, text, and maybe a render or two, although that is beyond the subject of this tutorial. Enjoy!

Tutorial II: Wavy Burst

This will show you how make a nice bursting star-ish background.

1.Start by creating a new Photoshop image, 1000x1000 px. Press 'D' to reset your color palettes to the default black and white.

2. Once your set up, select your Gradient tool from the toobar (G). Make sure your gradient is the default "foreground-to-background", set the blending mode to "Difference", and the Opacity to 100%.

3. Make multiple horizontal gradients, using the same technique as in Step 3 of the first tutorial, except hold Shift the entire time, and only make horizontal gradients. Refer to the image below for an example.

Posted Image

4. Now, go to Filter>Distort>Polar Coordinates, and make sure "Rectangular to Polar" is checked.

Posted Image

5. Here's the not-so-very-tricky-but-still-kinda-complicated part. Duplicate your layer twice (Ctrl+J). On the top duplicated layer, go to Filter>Distort>Twirl, and give it an angle of -100. Then, on the lower duplicated layer, press Ctrl+Alt+F to enter the previous filter window, which was the twirl. However, this time give it an angle of +100. On both duplicated layers, set the blending mode to "Lighten", and merge all 3 background layers together (Ctrl-E).

Posted Image

6. Now that we have our basic design, its time to make it into a sig. Press Ctrl+A to select your entire canvas, and then Ctrl+C to copy it. Make a new Photoshop image, with the dimensions of the sig that you want to make (I'm using 450x125, just in case you forgot). Paste your 1000x1000 image into the sig. Now, I bet you don't want your background to be that top corner of the twirl, right? So, use your Move Tool (V) to move, scale, and rotate the image so it fits your liking. You can have the center of the twirl in the center of the canvas or off to the side, or in a corner (like mine). It's up to you. When you like how it's positioned. Press Ctrl+A to select all of your visible canvas, and then Ctrl+J to make a new layer including the selection. Now delete the original layer. This is to trim off the excess of the larger image, so Photoshop can run a little faster.

Posted Image

7. Now that you have the basic layout of your sig, you can make it colorful with the Color Balance window (Ctrl+B). Use whatever colors you want in order to fit the subject of your sig. I'm going to use a nice blue color, in order to contrast my subject, which will be Kirby.

Posted Image

8. You're done with the background, so it's time to add all the fixins, like a border, text, and a render. Enjoy!

I did it and applied the Japanese font and made it looked liked it was imbeded Posted Image

Great tutorials they look very cool when you do them out like that.

Btw your instructions say:

Balance the following color levels:

you need to switch it so the positive is first so it dosn't come out blue. Edited by Nate (see edit history)

Wow thats great... I don't know how you guys come up with things like this, I mean I sit infront of my computer trying everything I cna think of with Photoshops filters, efffects and all that... and I can only come up with some cloud effects lol. These tutorials will really help with my graphic design. I hope to see more tutorials from you Killtacular. :P

I've seen that second effect again and again, but .. somehow yours looks different. ^_^ I really like how you didn't just leave it at the 1000x100 square, like a lot of other tuts do. Cropping "fashionably" makes a huge difference.

Thank you very much for your comments. I plan to write another few tutorials about some other effects and backgrounds that I know. However, I am on vacation now, and my computer access is limited. I will get around to it once I return.

you need to switch it so the positive is first so it dosn't come out blue

Yes, you're right. The color balance should be:
Shadows: +100, 0, -100
Midtones: +70, 0 -70
Highlights: +50, 0, -50

instead of:

I apologize for the error, and I will fix the actual tutorial post once I figure out how to edit my posts (>.<). Thank you for pointing that out, Nate.

=Killtacular=

This is one amazing tutorial... I'm surprised I didn't see it earlier. The end results are really amazing and it's so easy. Thanks a lot B).

I am having troubles on question 4.

4. After you've got something you like, select the "Reflected Gradient" from the Gradient toolbar. Make an even amount (4,6, or 8) of "lines" by clicking and holding in one spot, dragging to another spot that is relativly close to the other, and releasing. Refer to the image below for an example.

When I do that it does the the same as Number 3. Can you help me. Thanks for the help.
-Assassin_Lord