xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Qop

What Is 'www1'?

lol, microscopic^earthling (you COULD have a shorter nickname ;-)), your post confused me ^^ but I think I got the idea now, but maybe it is better for me to have a vague picture of this rather than knowing all this stuff :-)@quatrux ^^ you're crazy ^^ and btw REALLY professional websites don't have this stuff, check google for example :-) a reliable internet address (including a fixed www. in front of it) is something like a trademark on the internet. this is why it sucks to have a subdomain, you always have to explain to people that they don't need to write www in front of it (ok, here it works too, but sometimes it doesn't at other places). the www is also a much more famous "eyecatcher for internet stuff" than "http://forums.xisto.com/;. all psychology ;-) so if you want to look professional, stick to what you had and improve your content (don't know what you publish – no offense).regards ruben

That was an excelant explanation, but when I can afford my own server I'm going to use www, anything else tends to confuse users newer to the internet, who recognize only www, they will try to enter www, but they will instead be searching for the subdomain, and get a timeout or Cannot be found error.

Every computer requires an IP address to be part of a network. Every computer also requires a name, I'm not sure if names can conflict on a computer either, so most likely they'd be different.

Hmm, I say every computer does require an IP address to be a part of Internet. IP address is the Internet protocall address. It is assigned to each and every computer on the Internet by their ISPs. To be a part of simple networks like home network i dont think they need IP addresses. Ofcourse the group name is required for any network.

My experience shows that they always get some IP when you connect them in the network. You can connect by name too, but an IP is always there. I'm not sure about user-to-user (airport/crossover-ethernet) networks, but they can not really be called networks, right?

Thanks for that m^e. I thought it was becuase (no pun intended) of availability, www. may have been too heavy trafficked (no such word I know) and www1 was like a fall back. But now I realise it is 100% useless.