xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Bob

Game Maker 5 Warning

Game Maker 5 (not sure wether they have updated it yet), is one of the worst programs ever made. You can make any sort of 2D game, it comes with three game (Pacman, 1945, and Street Race) they games are good and you can add in your own cheats if you want. you don't do any of the scripting yourself. all you do is pick a sprite (picture) set it as an object and give it commands (if i press this button, this object does this, etc.) Sure it's easy enough to use, but if you ask anyone who does C/C++ programing they will tell you that it's Sh*t. It also deosn't come with many help functions.

Game Maker 5 (not sure wether they have updated it yet), is one of the worst programs ever made. You can make any sort of 2D game, it comes with three game (Pacman, 1945, and Street Race) they games are good and you can add in your own cheats if you want. you don't do any of the scripting yourself. all you do is pick a sprite (picture) set it as an object and give it commands (if i press this button, this object does this, etc.) Sure it's easy enough to use, but if you ask anyone who does C/C++ programing they will tell you that it's Sh*t. It also deosn't come with many help functions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. But GAMEMAKER 6 support 3d. But ist not free. I think all free gamemaking programs aren't good. I 've searched in the past for a good one, but I didn't found a good one. :lol: but well I don't need one

Hello,unclebob what you say about gamemaker is totally WRONG!I am currently working on an r-type similar game with gamemaker 6.0.If you just use the drag and drop icons you cant make a really good game.You need the gamemaker script/programming language (GML)for more complex games.And i dont know why you compare gamemaker with c++.C++ is a hard to learn professional language.Even some c++ experts do use gamemaker because its more easy to make a 2d game with it.Gamemaker is a great program and if you want to read all the good tutorials you need 7 lifes!I often get a game or program and think its trash.And 2 weeks later i try it again and its great.Maybe this has happened to you here. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you out of your mind? Have you actually worked with GM for more than a day? This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. If you actually knew about GM, you would understand that GM is alot more than just D&D actions. In fact, D&D is only for those starting out in GM. Once you have become affluent with D&D or once you feel you can move on without too much D&D practise, you can move onto the powerful and flexible GML. Sure, GML is not as powerful as C or C++, but that's only one way to look at it. GML was built for making games, so it suits game makers better than C/C++. C/C++ is made for any type of program, but it takes forever to make a game in C/C++.

Help functions? There's a very detailed GM manual that comes with GM. Plus, there's a message board. Next time, don't make such an ignorant post as that.

Dude. You're an idiot. Comparing GM to C++? Which one is obviously better: A program created by a university professor for his students or a language designed to create OSes?

No. Really. You're an idiot. 

-reply by My Name

Game Maker trouble.Game Maker 5 Warning

God bless you all.

I want to use Game Maker  for commercial games but version 7 seems to have high system demands and I get error messages like "Failed to initialize drawing surfaces" although I have installed DirectX. So not everybody may be able to play a game made with version 7.Thus I may settle for an older version like version 5 since I do not get those error messages with it. But there is also no registration key for it./txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley6.GifAfter all, what good is a high-quality game if people cannot run it on their machines?

Any input?

problems with gamemaker 7Game Maker 5 Warning

I just download gamemaker 7.0 and installed it on my desktop then I clicked on it and a error box pops up and says DLL WARING :DEBUGGER ALERT  HOW CAN I FIX THIS PROBLEM . If someone could help me it would be much apprecieated

-question by george

I am a c++ programmer and I use Game MakerGame Maker 5 Warning

I have been programming in c++ for around 3 years now. I also use Game Maker with GML. GML is very similar to c++ and is much easier. So if you plan to start in c++ I would suggest learning game maker first to get some game making concepts down with drag and drop then learn how to script and program with GML. Just my 2 cents...

-reply by Kadajett

I know there hasn't be a reply in a month, but this is the third topic on the page, so...Anyway, as previously stated, there's more to Game Maker than just Drag and Drop. The manual is extensive (though admittedly, I've seen better documentation). If there should be a warning, it should be Game Maker 7's use of SoftWrap. SoftWrap is a copy-protection mechanism that makes Game Maker 7 decide it (and Game Maker 6, too, despite it's lack of SoftWrap) can't run. What's worse is that it will randomly decide you are pirating the FREE version. That's like stealing ketchup packets. It's stupid, and that's why I use Game Maker 5.