xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
organicbmx

Is Unbuntu Linux Any Good For Beginners?

Mandrake, bugged? yes, definitely, but 90%+ uses customized kernels. Gentoo (optional), Slackware and Debian uses Vanilla kernels.I rather use KDE than GNOME and I hate the WM. Maybe that's me, but it's close to the desktops I know best, Windows and Macs.xboxrulz

Well, I've rpetty much decided not to use Ubuntu....it seems some of its coders are insanely dumb. First of all, you have to go into the console just to set up a dialup modem; second, there isn't any really nice form of confirmation for if you want to use "default" or "expert" installations modes...which led to the erasing of everything on my Snow G3 iMac's hard drive...including the keyboard and mouse drivers...and I'm not sure, but the filesystem mught even be gone, because the Mac OS X install CD won't show my hard drive as existing...and the eject key isn't working!

Woe is me.... :P

I myself started with ubuntu, to get used to linux, because it is quite hard to move from Amiga OS to any other operating system, when I understood a bit how linux works, I installed myself Gentoo, now everything works great, i like it because you need to compile everything yourself and there is a step to step installation tutorial so it was quite easy, just took time. Ubuntu I remember was really easy to install, couple of mouse clicks and thats all, i just had sound problems with it and I think it suits for beginners quite good and if someone does not like gnome, use kubuntu instead.P.SI never used Windows, except for in school, at friends and in libray always had an alternative since 1996 :P