xisto Community
The Bob

Need For Speed Games pre-underground

I was a fan of NFS series and used to play every game since NFS 2. Before I move on, my personal favorite is NFS 4: High Stakes and NFS 5: Porsche Unleashed and everything explained here is my pure personal opinion. I really did not like any later NFS games in the series after NFS 5. In fact, if I created this topic I would have titled it: "Past and Pre NFS: Porsche Unleashed".

I feel that graphics are secondary, its the game play which comes first. In the underground series it is all the speed that matters, with obviously good graphics than previous versions, the game has nothing much to it compared to any other racing games. For example you can crash a gazillion times and still drive on to the finish line, compare this with real life F1 series, one knock and the car is out. Yes, it is the reality that matters, what fun would be it if the car can stick to the road sides like a magnet for a few seconds and emerge back on to the lane perfectly fine like brand new. It may be true people like to have nitro boost and would like to take on rash driving since its not reality, but I like realism in games, whichever game it may be, FPS or racing.

In my personal opinion Underground series promote rash driving and the in-game warning about rash driving itself tells that. Actually in the game, safety is at the last, well do not care about safety at all. The only thing with remotely keeps me interested in Post NFS 5 games is the cops which keeps me interested during game play. So what did I find interesting in NFS4 and NFS 5..?

NFS 4: High Stakes is the most challenging game in the whole of the NFS series. In a sentence: The career mode's, realistically economical in-game money, damage simulation + upgrades, and the awesome one on one high stakes challenge. I prefer money instead of points and that too which is economical, not high rewards. In career mode you need to think, not to crash your car or else we need to pay for it later to patch it up, and the upgrades which improve th handling and other features. The challenges in career mode is by far the most difficult or rather challenging in the whole of NFS series. Lastly the high stake challenges, where we bet on another car, either lose your car or win the opponents car, which keeps us on toes at every seconds as our own precious earned car is at stake. Its not these individual features which makes NFS 4 awesome, the features obviously some of them exist in other series as well, but the combination of them in the right amount to make the game challengingly realistic.

NFS 5: The most unique racing game ever. The game having only Porsche cars. In a sentence: Ultra realistic driving simulation and controls, interesting and challenging factory driver mode. The factory driver mode, a unique experience, which makes us do things which we would normally not do during a normal race, the stunts and perfect turnings. In fact after leading your way up as factory driver mode, you will have awesome skill on car handling, for example how to take on through those tight turns, recover from crashes, escape unexpected situations, getting through scratch less etc. NFS 5 gives the chance to drive on 50-60s Porsche cars at 100+ Km/hr with delicate control. A truly unique game.

Regarding graphics, I think the game would look no different than older games unless we have the system to support it with all effects leveled up and increase screen resolution.

I feel that graphics are secondary, its the game play which comes first.

Yup, that's right. It's not on the minds of the developers though. No matter how choppy the gameplay is, every game that comes out these days has top-notch graphics. Game critics too heavily stress on graphics for every game, and hence even if the gameplay is terrible we end up reading that the graphics were awesome or that the game was a visual treat. It happens. In any case, NFS has always been ahead of its generation in terms of graphics. I still remember how "great" NFS2 looked when it first came out!

Thanks to youtube I have seen how all of the NFS games look, even those which I haven't played yet, and at least in terms of visual appeal, the games are becoming realistic. The only problem is that, the other racing games too have the same visual appeal and top it, they have better gameplay. Now even die-hard fans aren't shy about expressing their disappointment with the series.

So for now we have to be content with playing the old games and remembering all those old memories of good ol' NFS. Maybe the need for speed has become the need for a better game.

I first bought need for speed 2 in the late 90s when I had my first psx. I loved that game so I also bought nfs3 hot pursuit. It was also good. The last nfs I bought was nfs high stakes. I loved nfs high stakes and still play it to this day. It was an awesome game and I wish nfs could go back and remake it with better graphics. :P

need for speed underground in my opinion was one of the good need for speed games. becase it gave the games free roaming and the games without the free roaming element to me seems just too boring. for me its because it allows you to speed through the city instead of just being forced to race and that gets old. its strange even though it is a racing game, because it is set within a city you expect to be able to actually race through that city.

I still remember when I got need for speed 2. I loved that game in the late 90s. I fell in love with the McLaren F1 and that is still my dream car today. Anyway, afterwards I got need for speed 3 high stakes and this was also a good game when it came out. It beat the graphics of need for speed 2 by a long shot and added the hot pursuit cop part. After that I got need for speed high stakes which was an awesome game. Not only were the graphics better at the time but also there were many more features available. Next I got need for speed underground. This game also improved. The last game I got was need for speed underground 2 so I can't talk about any games after that. But back during the times I got the games when they first came out their graphics were always amazing at the time. I assume NFS games are still keeping up with the graphics of modern times as graphics have became insanely good now and keep improving. Hopefully when I graduate and get this degree I can get a high paying job and get back into buying expensive NFS games as soon as they come out!