xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PathofNeo

Psp Web-browser Using Wipeout Pure

I'm curious, how many other people use the PSP for internet?If you have no idea what I'm talking about, but have a PSP, Wipeout Pure, and and are curious about this, here's how to do it:Here, I will go step-by-step about how to get your PSP online.Part 1Step 1:Turn PSP on (without game disc in)Step 2:Under "Settings", click on "Network Settings"Step 3:Click "Infrastructure Mode"Step 4:Click "-New Connection-"Step 5:Enter a name for your connection (or just leave it as "Connection 1", it doesn't matter)Step 6:Scroll rightStep 7:Under "WLAN Settings", "Scan" for an SSID or enter your own. You MUST have at least a 50% connection!Step 8:Scroll rightStep 9:Under "Address Settings", choose "Custom"Step 10:Scroll rightStep 11:Under "IP Address Setting", choose "Automatic"Step 12:Scroll rightStep 13:Under "DNS Setting", choose "Manual"Step 14:Enter 67.171.70.72 for your "Primary DNS". Leave "Secondary DNS" as 0.0.0.0Step 15:Scroll rightStep 16:Under "Proxy Server", choose "Do Not Use"Step 17:Scroll right twiceStep 18:Press the X buttonStep 19:Press the Circle buttonPart 2Step 1:Insert Wipeout Pure and load the gameStep 2:Load your profile or make a new oneStep 3:On the lower-left edge of your PSP is your WLAN switch. Slide it up to turn your WLAN on.Step 4:At the Main Menu for Wipeout Pure, select "Download"Step 5:"Game experience may change during wireless play" will pop up. Select "OK" and press XStep 6:Remember your connection name from Step 5 of Part 1? Select that as your connection and press X. It may take a few seconds to load the home page.Step 7:Press X at the green pictureStep 8:Scroll down to the large rectangle and press X. From here you can enter your desired webpage using the soft keyboard.I, of course, am not the one who discovered this. This trick was discoverd by Jonathan Terleski, a student at Carnegie Mellon. He created the home page which is viewed as soon as you access the internet.Anyone heard/done this?

Thats pretty cool... So you dont have to pay for internet service then??? Does it really work? Have you tried it yet??? or youre just curious if other PSP owners are able to do it??And where could I view this guy's website? You should hot link it... Thanks..

Yes. It's very cool. And you don't have to pay at all, assuming you can find someone else's SSID and have a 50% connection. So it's free.And yes, it works. Very well, in fact. I use it every day from school. I can get a connection when I'm within about 500 feet of the library or office. I use it to get on MSN Messenger, check my email, update online games, research information, etc.I'm just curious if anyone else has done this. I know quite a bit about it, but there's probably a few more tricks out there.And I didn't learn this from a site. I got the DNS number from a friend and more or less figured the rest out for myself. You could probably Google "PSP Web Browser" and find something if you're really curious.

Nintendo is going to be unleashing something like this for the DS. It will be truly free Internet and you won't have to hack. They're working on an agreement with some cellphone companies in the US in order to get access from anywhere...

Wow thanks for those instructions, it's gonna help me a lot. But I don't think the nitendo DS can ever match up to the PSP, but I heard they're gonna come out with a new handheld? or am I wrong?

Thats the thing about wireless that is amazing... there is less control over who gets the internet connection and who doesn't. Once the PSP starts getting more UMDs, I may give into the seemingly high price tag for something its size, and when it's supposed to be more like a gaming handheld more than a multimedia platform. :( Depends on if Sony drops the price next year... I heard that they weren't going to.

Nintendo is going to be unleashing something like this for the DS. It will be truly free Internet and you won't have to hack. They're working on an agreement with some cellphone companies in the US in order to get access from anywhere...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sory friend. But this just isn't true or possible.

My household, in addition to owning a PSP, also happens to own a DS so I've looked into this. Inside the PSP is a 11-bit chip that's used for wireless play (WI-FI) as well as connections to the internet for updates as well as downloads. In comparison to a laptop, this is fairly weak but it gets the job done. To get a good, solid (50%+) connection, you must be within 500 feet of the source. Not great, but like I said, it gets the job done.

Now, with the DS, it uses a 2.2-bit card which is so incredibly weak in comparison, an internet connection would be worthless as well as very hard to obtain. You would have to be within 25 feet of the source and at best, your connection would be approximately one-third as fast as a dialup connection. The PSP allows, on a good day, 50 kbps or so. With the DS, under best conditions, would only allow for a 2-4 kbps connection.

If Nintendo can find some way to overcome their outdated hardware and negotiate with Motorola or AT&T to get a connection to the web, God help them. But I don't see it happening unless Nintendo either changes their hardware on release, or forces you to buy an adapter or new card.

I'd just advise to stick with the PSP (sorry for plugging Sony's system here, but I've toyed with each and the numbers don't lie). It wins in just about every category numerically except for battery life.

But this isn't a Nintendo vs. Sony thread. Cool internet connection using an awesome system!

Nintendo really needs to rethink its strategy - it keeps talking about keeping the "kid" games alive and having safe and "nonviolent" games for youngsters. If they want to stay on top, which is virtually impossible now, they seriously need to start looking into the more modern approach to gaming. Older generations like to game also, but come on! Pac man and pokemon pinball >.<??? They are back in the atari age when ppls had computers with 1mb of ram max :lol:;;;;.I really enjoyed Pokemon as a kid, who didn't, but Nintendo needs to grow up.Like, you said, "not a nintendo vs. sony" post, however I just wanted to comment on nintendo's stuborness.

I didn't know that you could do that with the PSP, that is interesting to know, that almost makes me want to get one even sooner so not only does it play games, movies, as well as music but it can also allow you to use the net. But does it use a wireless internet connection or do you need to connect it to a port in order to log onto the internet, it not that big of a deal I guess I mean it does allow you to use the net so why should I care how it connects up to the internet

thats cool~yeah ive heard the psp can be used for web browsing with wipeout ~hmmonce i get my hands on a psp i gues sill be trying this one too~

I may be confused

Psp Web-browser

Replying to PathofNeo

AM I confused here, my psp is fully internet capable anyway,I'm on ebay in bed all the time. I have a wireless conection, I can use my works one 2 with no need of any game

Just configure your wireless settings!

-reply by Paul