xisto Community
BigmanB

Major Website Mistakes Improve your site

YEA DONT U H8T IT WHEN PPLZ MAKE WEBBSITES LIKE THIIS AND DONT SEEM 2 CARE WETHER THEY SPELL ENYTHING PROPERLY ORNOT OMFG AWESOME ROFL

2) Slow Site Pages

No one like to wait all day waiting for thier favorite site to load. I your site take more than 20 seconds to load over a 28.8K modem, you run the risk of losing visitors. The easiest way to make your site faster is by optimizing your pictures with programs like Photoshop. The size of individual graphics should be no more than 10K.

First of all, in today's world, who in the right mind still uses 28.8K modems. Most people broadband connections which have speeds up to 10.0mbps or more!

I myself have a 6.0 mbps connection.

xboxrulz

I too agree with xboxrulz and must say that a slow loading page on a dialup modem (that is 28.8k which is even older than the 56k that has been used by most dialup people for a long time now), isn't a mistake...Now true you do want to watch the amount of images and the size of them so that it doesn't take too long to load...but I don't think that having a couple of images so that it takes 1-2 minutes on a 28.8k modem is going to affect the site too much....because most people these days seem to have a high speed connection, in which case the page will load instantly. Also, many times a slow loading page isn't that of the web designers fault, but rather the server...if the server's connection is overloaded then it is very possible that it'll take forever for a page to load even though the page itself is designed rather well.Also one other thing, if you have 100 graphics that are 10k...that adds up, thats 1000kb....in which case it would be better if the website had one graphic that was 100k. And so I think it would be better to look at the total filesize of all images combined...and come up with a total that it shouldn't be more than based on the desired load spead on a certain connection speed.Anyhow that is just my sort of little bit off of the filesize thing

You probably still don't want to hurt 56k/128k'ers too much though.Believe it or not there is still plenty of people using Dial-Up and the likes of ISDN connections, either that or once they break through crappy low bandwidth usage, there speeds are capped, or there charged for excessive usage, so how bulky a site is can be more important than some think.Especially for heavy internet users, and those living on the cheap and/or in rural areas.

That's by biggest pet peeve, when I design a website, and it looks great in Firefox, but when I go to open it in Internet Explorer, it looks screwed up... Argh! :D

Amen to that. It's worse when you're using some software that's not designed by you, as well. I remember running a wiki hosted on a wiki farm somewhere which used MediaWiki. I'm familiar with the way it works, but for the life of me I couldn't understand why that particular site decided to put the login link on the left rather than on the right for Internet Explorer users. Normally, that wouldn't be an issue but as that placed the link under the wiki logo (clicking on which took you to the wiki home page) it was nigh on impossible to log in for IE users.
The first thing I new about that was when I got asked by a user how they could log in, as clicking on the login link took them back to the home page. Being a devoted Firefox user, I spent the next 30 minutes trying to work out what was wrong to no avail as it worked fine for me. Only then did I think about browser problems. I had to email the wiki farm admin in the end to point this fairly major flaw out to them, and although it eventually got sorted it was definitely very confusing and irritating, especially as I couldn't fix the problem directly myself. :blink:
Edited by Mordent (see edit history)

Limiting the length of one pageAvoid placing all your website content on one page unless the content concentrates on one topic. This causes long pages, and as the bar on the scroller grows smaller, users get more discouraged at the content they have to read and being fast scrolling.
Unless it is something an user is expecting, like an article, story, game walkthrough. Use anchor links for navigation of the page.

I agree most of the tips stated in this topic but not very sure about limiting the page size.

It is written in many of the page design tutorials that the page leng shoud be limited, even some gurus say you can devide your pages in to tiny little pages so it can load fast and easy to navigate, but when i do search on the internet I found many pages which has high rankings are very lengthy pages, susch as 101 tips about XXX, 57 things you should know about XXX, these pages do look ugly or tiresome for busy readers but it ranks well and eventually can lead more visitors.