xisto Community
Cassandra1405241487

Good Free Email Clients I've Used for Windows. Free free, no ads, no nags.

One advantage that all of these free email clients have is that they are not Outlook Express, which means that they start up faster and are less virus-prone.Pegasus Mail - This was my favorite for years. It handles multiple identities easily, and allows very flexible on-the-fly configuration of outgoing messages (receipts, etc.). Excellent configurable filters. Also plays well with PopFile. However, I could not get it to install at all on my new Win2000/NTFS. I think that its installation file had trouble getting along with the NT memory protection. POP3 and IMAP.Thunderbird - Has an excellent built-in Bayesian filter. However, it is slow to start, and doesn't handle multiple identities well. POP3 and IMAP.Pimmy - Very fast. Stores mail as individual .eml files, which makes them easy to handle in other software and easy to move around on the disk, but they take up a lot of space. IMNSHO, its internal sorting systems, and the GUI in general, are clunky. POP3 and IMAP.Foxmail - What I'm using now. Has tolerable built-in spam filters. Handles multiple identities excellently. As far as I can tell, POP3 only, no IMAP.Thanks.Cassy.

A friend of mine is using Thunderbird.. I don't use email clients though, I prefer logging on and off on the email websites (mostly because I have rather nosy parents). But its a good list, though you seem to have forgotten links to where these programs can be downloaded, so I did it instead :)

Click here for Foxmail

Click here for Thunderbird

Geminisoft Pimmy

Pegasus Mail

You can also include Incredimail in this list. It is free.It supports mutiple identities very well.Have a good built in Junk Mail filter.The most important thing is that Hotmail can be accessed in it very well.The user interface is very good and easy to use.The only problem with it that it adds a line below every messag you send in the free version.

I've never loved any e-mail client I've used, but I have to use one at work so I usually stick to thunderbird instead of their standard outlook. Thunderbird -is- kinda slow to start, but since I open it and leave it open all day for the most part thats irrelevant to me so it is great for my use. Havn't really tried many others, mostly just stick to gmail lol

I use Outlook only because I don't know of any other Better email clients but looking at this list I may give some of them a try to see how they compare to Outlook.........

You can also include Incredimail in this list.

It is free.

It supports mutiple identities very well.

Have a good built in Junk Mail filter.

The most important thing is that Hotmail can be accessed in it very well.

The user interface is very good and easy to use.

The only problem with it that it adds a line below every messag you send in the free version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have used Incredimail once but it filled my computer with tons of spyware................. I don't know if it is still true or not because it has been a while since I used it.......... SO i would just say be careful when using Incredimail.......

I use Thunderbird and it does take it a second to get started. What I do is have it load when Windows boots up and then automatically minimize to the tray. Then it is both out of the way and it only takes a single click to get it back. I like Thunderbird becuae I can get both my Hotmail and Yahoo mail with it.

I have used Incredimail once but it filled my computer with tons of spyware................. I don't know if it is still true or not because it has been a while since I used it.......... SO i would just say be careful when using Incredimail.......................

It is very strange that you have suffered with spywares when using Incredimail but I did not get a single spyware when using this. I have adaware and microsoft antispyware but they did not detect any spyware on my computer besides this I used to check my registry also time to time and could not get any evidence of spyware.

I have used so many clients over the years, it's hard to keep track of them. For the record, I only use free ware clients (except one, but that's for later on)

My main requirements are the abillity to have seperated accounts, view HTML mail, and lightweight. Sadly the latter one seems to be the trickiest one.

My first few years on the net, I spent in Linux. Thus I also used Linux clients. I started out with Balsa, which is a very decent client. It's fast, highly configurable. But there's no support for HTML mail. I found that a real shame, because this is a decent email client. But in this day and age, HTML is used far too often.

After Balsa, I wanted that HTML support and installed Evolution, which is more a groupware suite than just an email client, it has tasks, a calendar, Contacs. The reason I mention contacts seperate from the addressbook, is because Evolution allows you to enter birthdays, and a whole bunch of info there. Also there's a connection to Exchange servers from within Evolution, there can be a data server set up. Needless to say, Evolution is a pretty big client, and I should probably not use it solely for emails. This is actually more for business people. Of course this client too is very configurable, you can choose if you want external images to load up, HTML or not etc etc. ALso important is a built in junk filter :)

Next I used for some time, Netscape Mail. I also used Netscape as Browser, but then quickly changed to Mozilla and Mozilla mail. Both are practically the same, they just look a little different. Both have HTML support, they're ok, but I found them to be too small. Meaning, too little options. Of course this was over 4 yrs ago. It probably changed a lot by now.

Let's see what else have I used as mail client. Kmail, from KDE. Which is comparable to Evolution only a bit smaller. I didn't care for it too much. It's now Kontakt, with mostly the same features as Evolution. Although I didn't find anything about the ability to work with Exchange or Groupwise.

Now let's talk about the Windows clients that passed my computer :)

First I used the awfull Outlook Express (I was a n00b then), after a lot of trouble, I did switch to M$ Outlook (not express). Which I also hated. LOL. So my search went on... I tried Incredimail and actually paid for the blasted thing.

Incredimail was pretty nice. But after a while it seriously gets annoying. Not only that, but for recipients who have dial up etc, it takes AGES to receive the email, since it has a lot of graphics attached. I found the free version of Incredimail spyware-y. The paid version however is cool. What I did love about Incredimail are the notifiers. You can just X out and still have it running as background process. That's a feature that I also look for in email clients, however it is not that important. I mainly stopped using it because Incredimail is not the lightest nicest client for system resources, and it eats up BW (for my internet account I have 10GB BW a month to download and upload).

Now my prefered client for windows is how else could it be : Thunderbird. For all the reasons I've discussed above. Sadly it is not easy onmy old system either, so I am waiting for my new computer and I'll just use TB again :).

I also tried Eudora and Pegasus. I prefered Eudora of the two. But I don't have much experience in either. So a small review is too big LOL. What I did love about Eudora is the Identities, how that works, signatures etc. I found the way to add emails to your addressbook slightly clumsy and pretty damm hard to figure out if you're a n00b. (I test this by letting mom have a go at it LOL)

Now, FoxMail looked nice, I may try it in Win some day :)

I read about a new free place called abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.comIt is supposed to be such a long email address that no spammer would be using it.Have visited the site, it is pretty nice, but not sure I want to have such a long email address to hand out myself!