xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
szupie

System Sounds Not Working ... :(

I don't know when this started to happen, probably not caused by me though, but my System Sounds don't work anymore. You know how when you change your volume in Windows, it makes a beeping sound to tell you how loud or quiet you've turned your volume into? Well, it doesn't make that sound anymore. But, I can still listen to music and sounds of my own or in games, etc., just not "Windows generated".I think the problem is some wrong setting in the Sound and Audio Devices Properties of the Control Panel. I am using the Windows Default sound scheme, selected at the Sounds tab. For the Default Beep, "Windows XP Ding" is used, and I could play it perfectly well in the configuration window, but not if it is automated by Windows (i.e. volume control, error, etc.). I can also see sound settings for MSN Messenger, which is also muted right now, so that's why I think it's the error of the configuration. It's a bit hard to explain, so if you don't get what I just said, reply with questions.Ooops, almost forgot the ultimate question: How do I fix my sound and get it back?

is your system on board sound or is it a sound card? If is a sound card what make? Have you clicked on the sound icon in your system tray to find out if you have turned anything down as you may have turned down the wav sounds.

is your system on board sound or is it a sound card?  If is a sound card what make?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get this part...

Have you clicked on the sound icon in your system tray to find out if you have turned anything down as you may have turned down the wav sounds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, they can't be those problems, because I can still listen to music while I this problem is going on.

He was aksing if the sound was onboard the motherboard, or if you have an internal sound card, like a sound blaster audigy, or something like that. What OS do you have? this could be a contributing factor. Try going into the sound ettings, and make sure you have a sound scheme selected.

I'm using Windows, and I'm sure I have the Windows Default sound scheme selected.My box doesn't have any speaker, only the internal beeping thing. My sound comes froma headset and a set of speakers plugged into it (well, not at the same time...).

Hi!Mabe some of your soundfiles (like "dingdong.wav" and so on ...) are deleted. On my computer these soundfiles are in the folder C:\Windows\Media\ Sound scheme still seems to be alive, but if the particular soundfiles are not found, they of course can't be played. GreetingZ

Well, I can only think of one more thing to try. Reformating your hard drive. It cures all ails, and conditions lol. I can only think that the windows sounds have been deleted in some way. Try placing your own sound in place of the windows default sounds. If it still does not work, try reinstalling windows.

No, they're still there, that's why I could play them in the configurations manually... I'm going to create a new account and see if the sound works on the new one...

-----Merged the above to the below post-----szupie

I was right, it does work on a new account! But I just don't know why... Any suggestions?

OK, I've finally found a solution to this problem in one of the Windows XP Newsgroups. You can read it here.

So, all you have to do is go to your Registry, find the "Default" under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", and delete its value if it's not set to "VALUE NOT SET". After I deleted my value, the sounds came back after a reboot.

If anyone has a similar problem, but the value is not set to "VALUE NOT SET", I don't know how to help you... :)

New E-mail Notification - not working and other areas of soundSystem Sounds Not Working

I have Outlook Express 6 and Windows XP Professional.  Yesterday my New e-mail notification (ding) will not Ding.  Also, in OE when I Delete a group of e-mails in the delete section, no "Beep" asking do you want to permanently delete.  And then the music for Start Up and Shut Down.  Other places in a Microsoft doc certain things that usually Beep are not.  However, I have sound.  I have a Rapid Text Player and it works fine there.  Also, received e-mails with sound, fine.  Windows Media Player, fine.  I have checked and rechecked all area I.E.  Tools, Options, New Mail Notify, Sounds and Devices nothing muted, everything checked right there as well.  Going crazy.  Please help.

-reply by Marie