xisto Community
Amadeus1405241494

Physics Behind The Lightsaber Can it become true

Not needed

Physics Behind The Lightsaber

Replying to miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

That is not needed, instead of a chainsaw like energy orbitration, you need only a high frequency of light rays that can seem as matter, yet arent, and can cut through such things as steel.

-reply by Michael

Oh man, If only these things were real. There would be to major outcomes. House's will be in chaos with children running around everywhere cutting up everything in sight. And there would be one HELL of a nasty crime-rate rise. It would be extremely funny to see a robber holding up something like a Lightsaber to some guy saying, "WHERE'S THE MONEY!?!!!". I would lol. Hard. :(

4 u information,lightsaber is jz a fantasy stufff. it will nt happen n no1 will invent it. if it is invented,ppl will use it 4 bad tings! tink bout it man!

Being all curious and debating what the blade is made out of is like figuring out how the bullet will kill someone before you find out how to fire it.You need to start with the casing, needs to be made of something we don't have yet.Then you need to consider whats inside of it. If I am not mistaken the key to the whole thing is the crystal. That when cut properly, Crystals of specific material can potentially limit the length and ferocity of the blade.Moving onto my third observation.The power source, as far as I know is a self cycling energy cell. Not expending any charge because the blade rapidly collapses back and forth being pushed and pulled around coiling found near the top of the actual hilt. (due to a small gravitational development caused from the actual coil (No clue how it happens, but this is what I hear))and the only way to lose any kind of charge is to contact the blade with a solid object.So I think the thought of it being made, is not impossible, just very unlikely with our current element's.Perhaps one day when we hit up some other planets for resources we will stumble across what we need to make them. : /-reply by Idea's Idea's Idea's

hack lightsaber

How about just using a plasma cutter with that ThinkGeek green lazer synched to turn on when the plasma cutter does?

answer

Basically A lightsaber would have to be a made out of plasma, with an intense magnetic field holding it in place, this would repel other such fields, meaning you could have sword fights with them, not sure about the reflecting blaster shots though

-reply by dude

lightsabersPhysics Behind The Lightsaber

all we need is somthing that gangenerate very intence waves of lighth along side with a mag feild that can stop arch light

physics of a plasma swordPhysics Behind The Lightsaber

If you want to read how the light saber was envisioned, go here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ iGuest said if there was a way to cycle the energy into a loop(like the lightsaber in star wars was envisioned) back into the batteries, then provided you had a battery with enough power to begin with, it could be doable. Also on that page is an article about archaic light sabers, which were attached via power cable to a large battery pack that the wielder would wear. Lightsabers are able to block other lightsabers thanks to the magnetic fields used to contain and direct the swords energy, because the two opposing fields would repel each other. But most other objects don't have any kind of field to repel it, which is why you can cut a person in half with it like a hot knife through butter.The only limit to its cutting power would be the density of the material and the time it took for the blade to reduce it to vapor, which is why it takes some time to cut through a door.The problem with laser weapons would be reflective properties of some materials; fire a laser at the wrong object and it'll shoot back and kill you. Plasma bolts on the other hand would stick to and burn through the target. More effective, and has a wider impact radius then a thin laser. Of course they also have a much more limited range but considering most military fire fights take place within a hundred yards its really not an issue. It would have multiple uses as well; fire several plasma globs right onto the muzzle of a tank and watch it blow itself up as melted steel obstructs the outgoing shell. Would be effective at setting fire to buildings as well in an urban situation to force the enemy into open ground.

Demon Knight Raziel

Replying to iGuest

Afterlooking at a recent news article where the study of a phenominon calledball lightning has turned into the development of Plasma bolt basedweapons which could potentialy shoot plasma bolts of size from 1 to 35cm in diameter at upwards of 200 m/s and sustain for an (alreadydo-able 1-2 seconds)They were looking at useing magnetic fields tofurther stabilize them for a longer period of time.

Based offthat article and the fact that there is a strong possibility that wemay see such blasters in a decade or so (2 my guess), Theelectromagnetic fields used to stabilize the plasma blasts would alsobe repelled by a lightsaber assuming the lightsaber used a similarfield to stabilize its plasma blade. Its all about plasma and which hasthe stronger magnetic field at the time and which has the most force.Inactuality the plasma would never touch if the magnetic field werestrong enough and the closer they get to eachother the stronger therepulsion that effects them both.((==========================))((***************************)--------]((***************************)--------]((==========================))

Surethe heat would do the cutting but the magnetic field would to thereflecting and so forth. Though I'm not quite sure of the ramificationsof useing it against metal weapons... Attracting unknown paper clipsfrom all sides and so forth... On the other hand it may attract bulletsand incinerate them in mid air as another level of protection. Metalbelts would be a no no. That and glasses... Or... Metal onces...

Lightsaber in lifePhysics Behind The LightsaberWell after researching necessary components, your typical plasmaic blade could be confined by electromagnetic fields allowing structure to contain itself. If to blades collided the fields would repel each other with possible static electricity back and forth. Its heat is the only thing that keeps the human from wielding such a weapon. If I can somehow withstand a 350 degree atmospheric temperature within proximity of 5 feet and not get burnt, I can wield such a weapon.Another key part of a lightsaber is the activation. Its ionization process is more complicated than electric current into gas. A nuclear reaction must take place to ionize the gas even partially, therefore the chamber in which the ionization took place must be very confined to prevent any damage from exposure. Its a hard process and interesting. I will develop more as I uncover it.-reply by Jordan Weber

physics behind a light saberPhysics Behind The Lightsaber

Another key part of a lightsaber is the activation. Its ionizationProcess is more complicated than electric current into gas. A nuclearReaction must take place to ionize the gas even partially, thereforeThe chamber in which the ionization took place must be very confined toPrevent any damage from exposure

I think that it's time for an actual physicist to comment here.

It is not necessarily true that you need a nuclear reaction to ionize gas.  I have done this several times way back when I was an undergraduate in physics ad it has been done many times before and since.  All you need to do is build something called a Farnsworth machine.  This machine is essentially a fusion reactor.

Here is the basic gist of the thing: 

You have two concentric spherical meshes of a high temp resistant material, I used tungsten. These two meshes are set into a vacuum chamber ad the interior sphere is brought to a large negative potential relative to the outer mesh, I used around 20 kV.  Then a small amount of a simple gas is bled into the chamber and the charge is brought up, I used deuterium since tritium is difficult to acquire without a great deal of nuclear regulatory crap.  This high potential difference will strip the electrons off of the gas and ionizes it.  There is some other stuff that happens after this but the explanation of it is beyond the necessary scope of this writing.

Ionized gas aside, lightsabers are technologically possible.  However the power requirements forbi them by virtue of the size required for a weapon to be useful ad the temperature would kill you.  Yet I would love to make one.

Patrick

-reply by Patrick

what about stabbing?Physics Behind The Lightsaber

hey everyone... Me an my buddy were talkin about this today.. We had one major doubt on this... Asssuming that we develop an energy source meeting all the size and power requirements that such a sword would require, would'nt it be necessary to constrain the energy(in whatever form) at the "top" of the blade? if so, how would the weilder stab his target? can anyone think of a solution for this??

-question by Roshan

I believe that such things as lightsabers will be developed but I don't think that they will look like what the lightsabers look like the the Star Wars movies. The light sabers might look different and will probably not have the sound effects on them.The physics behind the lightsaber: you could read all of the other posts about physics and chemistry of the lightsaber or... you can just accept that the physics of the lightsaber hides in Adobe After Effects. ;)