xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Free Links Exchange: Promote & Increase Page Rank

Hi guys,

For all the aspiring web-designer and webmasters out there - this deals with one of the most commonly overlooked fact about increasing your page rank. Most of us after putting up a new site, are satisfied with simple submitting our site to multiple search engines using some of the free submission engines. After that it's a long long wait till the crawlers come over to our page and starts indexing them. Even then it doesn't work out that well. And we always keep wondering WHY our sites don't show up on higher ranks on search engines.

One of the prime determinant factors for a good page rank is the number of inbound links - i.e. HOW MANY SITES are LINKING to YOU. If the spiders find a whole bunch of sites linking back to you, your page rank shoots up immediately. Now for most part, link exchanges deal with ugly, messy banners and even more ugly looking pages filled with an endless jumble of worthless links. So I went out and searched far and wide, till I found a couple of free services that are small (but growing) and have a nice clean interface. My criteria was that their link-ex page should be simple and clean - if not professionaly layed out. Here I present you with a list of few of them and the results I got within 2 days of putting up my site with them. For now I'm writing about only one site - I'll come back and keep filling up more and more.

1. GotLinks? - http://www.thehoth.co/

From the looks of it, this is a pretty recent site with a very low member count (as I'm writing this). Their stats say: 653 Members 426,409 Links Exchanged - which doesn't say much, but you shouldn't simply look at these figures. The quality of the sites linking back to you matter a WHOLE LOT too. So I decided to experiment with this site and see what results it gets me. The interface is very clean and compact and that's what I like about them. Their site loads very fast and has just the right information you need to know - nothing gaudy or excess.

The Setup process was quite simple. First you register for an account with them (of course) - and then you get the ability of adding ONE or MULTIPLE sites to your account there.

The next step is really important - you are presented with a whole directory of Links, nicely categorized. You can go through each of them and see which all sites you like/don't like - and which all broad categories you want. Then, you can filter out all the sites/categories you DONT want to be linking to you and hand-pick the nicer ones. These are called your Link Partners.

The third step involves generating a linking code, that's done by their servers - you simply take this code and create a PHP file out of it. Keep in mind, this links generator code DOESN'T need to be placed ANYWHERE on your main page. BUT, this PHP file DOES NEED to have a link to it from your index.php/html of your site.

But remember, you cannot fool them - once you have created your links page, you have to validate your site through their servers, i.e. their crawler will probably come to your page and see whether you've put up the links partner page on your site. Only after validation, your link gets put up on your partner sites.

If you want to see an example, goto my site: https://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=antilost&e=com and CLICK on the LINKS menu-item right on TOP of the page. That'll show you a demo links page - the one I received by signing up with GotLinks.

Now I present you with a sample:

The number of categories/pages that are presented to you on GotLinks, when you signup initially is around 58 - with a total of over 46,000 links.

The links page that shows up on my site, after I handpicked the categories looks like:

http://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=antilost&e=com - notice how much I've cut down on, and picked up sites that are MORE related to my site's content/nature.

See these two and notice how easily/nicely you can refine the list of your link partners.

Results

Similar to what I said in the introductory part of this article, when I'd first started my site, I'd just submitted it to several search engines and sat back, hoping it would show up. Just two days back, vujsa suggested I do some links exchange and I went out and found this site. After creating my account and linking with the link partners, my number of inbound links shot up from ZERO to THREE HUNDRED and SIXTY in just TWO days - and 50 more to go in about a days time. Now AntiLost immediately shows up on Google on a simple Search - - though still not on the first page, but right near the middle of the second page. Earlier this wasn't even listed on the 10th page. That definitely says a LOT.

Here's what GotLinks? says about themselves:

Since launching on March 10, 2005, Gotlinks?com has achieved the following positions on Google using no marketing techniques other than our own software.

"Exchange Links Now" - Rank #1

"Increase Your Google PageRank" - Rank #1

"Trade Links Now" - Rank #1

"Increase Google PageRank" - Rank #3

"Free Link Directory" - Rank #6

Source: http://www.thehoth.co/

Most of your should give it a try and see the results for yourself - it comes out in a day or two at the most. If dissatisfied, simply discontinue the service and hop over to another one. Over the next few days I'll bring you more such news about the nicer link-exchange sites, which you can utilize without the fear of having a whole bunch of ugly-stupid sites linking to you...

Regards,

m^e

Reciprocal linking was an effective way of improving a website's pagerank until it was abused by link farms which encouraged many sites with content of little relevance to link to each other indiscriminately. I read that Google and the other search engines have sinced switched to rewarding websites that link to sites with high-relevance content and with high PageRank. Is that true? Is reciprocal linking still effective?

Reciprocal linking was an effective way of improving a website's pagerank until it was abused by link farms which encouraged many sites with content of little relevance to link to each other indiscriminately. I read that Google and the other search engines have sinced switched to rewarding websites that link to sites with high-relevance content and with high PageRank. Is that true? Is reciprocal linking still effective?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard the same thing and I think that it is true because I had a lot of sites (about 100 or so) linked to one of my old sites but my page rank was still 0??? and Google said that only about 5 were linked to my site (those were the only ones that had relevent content to my site)

There is a small problem with GotLinks:

As most of you are aware, June 6th was supposed to be the last day to sign up for a GotLinks account free of charge. However, due to an overwhelming demand we have decided to continue offering our service at no cost for several more weeks.

So if you want to use GotLinks for free then sign up soon before they switch it to paid membership.

Sounds interesting, I might try it out on my site to see if it really works. I never actually was aware that google calculated the rank by how many different websites link to you.Although if what the previous posters in this thread have said is true then it is pointless bothering. I think I'll still try and if I don't get any results then I'll stop. Thanks for the information regardless.

This is stupid, you have to pay 10 $ a month for a service that could bring your google pr down! I signed up, then it asked me to pay. Its not worth it, maybe if it was free i would go through with it.

I think reciprocal linking is still effective, but you should overdo it.You have to do it moderately so the search engines will not punish you.Moderately means in speed and volume of the links you get should be look natural.When we talk about speed: it is not good hire some one for one month and get a lot of links and next month you forget it, you have to do it persistently and slowly, maybe one link a day is a good start.When we talk about volume: the majority of the links you got should not consist of reciprocal links you should get links in various ways, reciprocal links should not be more than 30 percent of all the links you got for your site.

I agree that you have to use reciprocal linking moderately. Obviously it's more important to link to sites that are actually operated by humans and not just based off of a link farm. It's also quite easy to check the pagerank of the site you're linking to and decide if you should link to them. Granted, if the site has great content and doesn't have a good pagerank (yet), it might be worthwhile to link to them just in case they spike later.I would say just link to other sites whenever there's relevancy--that's better than linking to a site just because. If you're going to get reciprocal links, search around for sites that are related to your site and ask them to link to you. Of course, they are supposedly your competitors, but it never hurts to work together (and ask..).Linking to a site that has no relevancy to your site and has a low pagerank probably won't help your site on Google at all. I'm not sure if they'd deem it spammy, but I'd rather not take the chance.

I think that reciprocal linking is overrated. Sure, more links would appear to be a more popular site, but I'msure googles algorithms are looking for links from websites with relevent content. If I were to own a websiteand be linking to a friend of mines website or explaining to my visitors that there is more information at suchand such website. There would definately be relevent content surrounding my link. I wouldn't just jumble it intogether with a bunch of unrelated websites. Who does that?I think the best way to increase page rank, visibility and traffic is to do a search for the keyword(s) you wouldlike to rank high with and visit every page on the first three results pages and see if there is a way to write anarticle, comment on a blog, or any kind of way to get your link and content on that page.This is a great strategy for building PR and is also an instant targeted traffic generator since you will have yourcontent and your links all over the pages that rank the highest for your keyword(s). Do this at several differentsearch engines to maximize your PR and visibility benefits.