xisto Community
Sadas

Living Without Computer Today - Is It Possible? How much time eats your computer? ;)

How much time per day do you spend by your computer?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I could actually find a job, and move to a better area I would most likely end up reducing my time on the computer considerably.Right now I am on it, for the majority of my time, emailing, working, studying, programming, games, music, web development, movies, news etc.It's very useful to be able to cover so many different things (including some daily tasks), via just my computer, I can even do several things at once and get them out of the way faster than ever possible (and spend more time on something else).

When I have time (a.k.a. the holidays), I spend pretty much my whole day in front of my computer. Email, messenger, websites, blogs, deviantART, random online communities... There's enough to keep me busy for...uh...forever online.

Now, since I have school, I don't have a set amount of time that I spend online. Especially this year, because I've joined so many clubs, am volunteering for so many organizations, and have several teachers that love to give more homework than they can mark. I'm online only for research, email, and Xisto nowadays.

So is it possible to live without a computer? I would rather not, but it's definitely possible. We used to do that in the past, didn't we? (Then again, we had the TV back then.) Sometimes, when I'm running around the city/school/home trying to finish everything on time, I don't even have time to even think of computers, much less turn them on. (The irony is that one of the organizations I'm in requires us to check our email daily, and it's hard for its members to do so because ALL the members are insanely stressed-out students who don't have time for email. At all.) So yes, it's possible; I've done that recently. But I'd rather have computers even if I don't use them all the time so that I can have a easy way to communicate with others or do research.

Now, I must study for my science unit test! (Ugh. >_<)

Serena

I have relatives abroad and I contantly keep in touch with them through the internet. I think that I could live without a computer if I would be able to have internet use through my mobile phone. But I guess that would still be considered using a computer. Emails and even websites like facebook have become such an integral part of alot of people's every day lifestyles that I think that alot of people won't be able to live without a computer.I would even say that quite a bit of people LIVE ON their computers! I voted that I spent more than 8 hours a day on a computer. About 1-2 hours is actual work that I need to get done. The others are wasting time on websites such as youtube, facebook. dealnews, and other random websites that I come across. Not that there's a nice park outside that I could go play in. I would say that siting in front of a computer is having a bad effect on a lot of people, but if you get your normal amount of exercise and social life, then why not?

These machines have become essential for any business. The more we need accuracy and speed in information, the more we are dependent on these machines. But of course living without the computer goes back to the stone age. :PIt's not we can't survive without it, computers only adds enhancement on information storage and retrieval.P.S. I'm speaking in the point of Business drive. my answer is not apt for game freaks and animators.

Edited by Pråsh (see edit history)

These machines have become essential for any business. The more we need accuracy and speed in information, the more we are dependent on these machines. But of course living without the computer goes back to the stone age. :P
It's not we can't survive without it, computers only adds enhancement on information storage and retrieval.

P.S. I'm speaking in the point of Business drive. my answer is not apt for game freaks and animators.

Totally Agreeded...

I'm so used to have computers around me but of course won't die without one. But its making our life so much more convenience Especially Internet banking, online shopping, Email.

10 years back, you never knew this kinda things will happen. Seriously :P I think that everyone of us have already accepted that computers are already part of our life. Definitely for me. That's why I voted for more than 8 hours. Sometime my parent really gets annoyed stick to the computer for the whole day. :P

Cheers

Let's see, our basic needs are: food, water, shelter, oxygen, energy and interaction with others.I don't see "computer" in there. LOL :PThere are many people in different countries that are too poor to own a computer. So therefore it is possible to live without computers obviously. Certainly computers and the Internet has made our lives easier to communicate and retrieve information, like getting the weather, reading books, online banking, etc. But we could already do that without the use of computers back then.Computers enhance the quality of our lives by making it easier to know stuff and also to entertain ourselves whether it is hardcore JSP programming or just playing Tetris.

It is definately possible for me, and many others too I believe, it would just be extremely hard for many. If I still had a 56K connection and spent 1.5 hours a day on the pc it wouldn't be so bad losing it, but with broadband it grew to 5 hours a day, which would make living without it hard but not impossible. Addicition is the only thing that would make it hard, as 50 years ago using the univac probably wasn't much fun, but people still lived.

I have several computers at home. I got a small network, some printers, scanner, pdas, gps, portable players, zip drive, web camera, speakers, and heaps of spare parts laying around, a couple gutted out pcs, a troubleshooting bench, several laptops of various years.My first gf made a comment about me and computers. I'm not going to say what she said but it was something along the lines of 'me loving it more than her'. Well I guess I don't have that problem no more. My other gf's I've had since then are more in tune to technology especially when i comes to entertainment. Movies, Music, Internet, Games, Photos, Printing, etc.Well I think I've have my share of the computers. Some days I would spend 12 hours. Others days I'd only get 1-2 hours in. It seams like when I want to use a pc or laptop, or go online I can't and whenever I can... I don't want to.

Edited by levimage (see edit history)

my own computer

Living Without Computer Today - Is It Possible?

I love my computer it's one of the most important things in my live.

I can't live whitout it because I sit more than 6 hours infront of it.

My parents doesn't like it when I sit on the computer 'cause they said that's to expensive and you have to learn for school and so on...But I said every they the opposit of it to them. So every day when I sit on the computer I chat with my friends and chat with other people and I'm hearing music every they and without a computer I think I will die! XD so that was my story XD

I like this website soo much^^

**Maria**

-reply by maria