xisto Community
nakulgupta

Want To Upgrade To PCIe

Im currently using a compaq presario 3753AP. with a P4 1.9 GHz, 256 MB RAM, inbuilt 82845G/GL graphics controller. My question is will a motherboard with a 925 based chipset with a 3.2 GHz processor, 1GB RAM along with the inbuilt graphics controller be sufficient to play games such as HL2 at full throttle or Doom 3 at say high (Not ultra). Right now this the only upgrade that i can afford. Maybe i'll get a new PCIe x16 graphics card later....

An integrated graphics card uses your main memory (RAM) for it's memory. This will definitely drag performance. I would highly suggest including a graphics card. Even if it means you have to save up an extra 100 - 200 dollars. You will most likely be able to run HL 2, but Doom 3 will probably drop frames.That processor will definitely be fast enough to run those games, and you will have enough ram.

Hi nakulgupta,you can marginally improve performance on the 3.4 GZ machine by decreasing the screen resolution..but.. you probably won't be happy with it. Best advice is to go ahead & get a PCX OR AGP graphics adapter card(with lots of onboard RAM) & install it in your current 1.9GHZ computer... PLUS increase your current motherboard RAM from 256mb to max it out (ie. 512MB to 1GB). The performance you'll get by only changing the motherboard & upgrading the processor and still using onboard ram (1GB) will be only a marginal improvement over what you already have.Hope this is clearPS- you can check out the RAM recommendations at my website.. it may also help

Save all your money on that new motherboard and buy a high-end graphic card and maybe 2GB x 2 Ram. You will see a so much more smooth gameplay and better graphics.Getting a better processer with at most increase gameplay quailty by 15% but better Ram will be at least 10% and is far cheaperthe excess money can be used the buy a Apple 20" cinama display :droll:

I have Compaq presario 3753AP. With a P4 1.9 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I would like to upgrade RAM to 1GB, Can you please suggest what is the compatible 1GB RAM.-SEKHAR