xisto Community
iGuest

Installing phpBB 2.0.14 The better how-to.

For me the instructions in the phpbb docs is far too complicated. And their is a much more easier way.

Please note that the below process has only been tried on this hosting website, the process below may not be applicable for other hosts.

1) Download phpbb 2.0.14 into a folder on your computer (e.g. My Documents\Forums)

2) Extract all the files to that folder.

3) Rename the extracted 'phpbb2' folder to 'Forums' (change it to what you want).

4) Login into your ftp account (yoursite.astahost.com)

5) Copy the 'Forums' folder (or your named folder) into the /www shortcut folder in the root directory.

6) Then open a new browser window and login into your CPanel (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

7) Go to MySQL Databases

8) in the first form type in a database name that you will remember (e.g. forum). Remember that your login name will go before it automatically (e.g. username_forum).

9) Click Create MySQL Database.

10) Now, in the browser, go to the directory that you copied the folder of the forum to. Remember to put /install/install.php afterwards. (e.g. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

11) Then follow the form by completing it. When it asks for your databse name, put what you put for step #8.

12) Click install after finishing the form.

13) The next window you should choose download file instead of ftp (choose second option).

14) Once the file is downloaded, copy it to your ftp account into the main directory of your forum folder.

And hey presto! You've done.

The rest is up to you.

If any of the points above don't work for you, then post in your problem and we will try to help out.

1) Download phpbb 2.0.14 into a folder on your computer (e.g. My Documents\Forums)

2) Extract all the files to that folder.

3) Rename the extracted 'phpbb2' folder to 'Forums' (change it to what you want).

4) Login into your ftp account (yoursite.astahost.com)

5) Copy the 'Forums' folder (or your named folder) into the /www shortcut folder in the root directory.

6) Then open a new browser window and login into your CPanel (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

7) Go to MySQL Databases

8) in the first form type in a database name that you will remember (e.g. forum). Remember that your login name will go before it automatically (e.g. username_forum).

9) Click Create MySQL Database.

10) Now, in the browser, go to the directory that you copied the folder of the forum to. Remember to put /install/install.php afterwards. (e.g. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

11) Then follow the form by completing it. When it asks for your databse name, put what you put for step #8.

12) Click install after finishing the form.

13) The next window you should choose download file instead of ftp (choose second option).

14) Once the file is downloaded, copy it to your ftp account into the main directory of your forum folder.

And hey presto! You've done.

hi, i need to know 2.0.14 version is PHPBB 3? or PHPBB2?

I think you need to quote it if you copy it from other site.

I have pointed out some matters of installin phpBB but if you really can't do it then contact me a http:dhost.info/stevedemarcus/steve/
I have been using phpBB for years and did not or will not pay for it,

the below process has only been tried on this hosting website

By the way, in this hosting website we don't need the above process, we simply have to go to cpanel and click "install phpbb2"!

Oh my God, you bumped a topic that was last posted in one year ago just to say that :D Anyhow, I don't know what version Xisto's Fantastico offers, but it's always better to install it on your own and learn something.

after installing phpbb2

Installing phpBB 2.0.14

After I installed it, my forum started having these yellow triangles with exclamation marks in them.

I don't understand why it shows up. Was there something wrong with the installation?

Please help me.

-question by kristy

After I installed it, my forum started having these yellow triangles with exclamation marks in them.
I don't understand why it shows up. Was there something wrong with the installation?

This is a choice : if a guy posting on your forum thnks what he says is important, he can add such a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in front of his topic, so people will see that it should be interesting.