xisto Community
soleimanian

Share Files Between The Computers ?

I don't know much about networking but I'm trying to learn more by setting up my home network. I have one desktop computer running Windows ME and one desktop computer running XP Pro, I'm using a router and a cable modem to get them connected to the Internet. My main goal is to be able to share files between the computers so I don't have to be copying files from one and moving it to the other etc.... My first question is am I gonna be able to do this without a Network Hub? I've tried different things such as assigning static IP addresses to each computer in order to connect from one to the other. But it didn't work. Can anyone give me any pointers?

Hi solemanian,Filesharing between your computers is possible!Need more info re:-the physical location of the computers (eg. 1 at office & 1 at home).-what specifically.. do you want to do.You might want to checkout my website page on "networking" to help you describe the network "configuration" you want to create.Just PM me to let me know that you have replied to this thread & I'll get back with you.RGPHNX

All you need to do is connect the two pc's the the router with some network cable (category 5 patch probably) and a few other things.1. Make both computers have the same workgroup - to do this for XP got the system properties and click computer name tab and click change under workgroup.For Me go the network properties under control panel and under workgroup type the same name.2. Make sure automatically obtain an IP adress is selected under TCP/IP settings.3. Share folders on both computersYou should be away.

Only small suggestion that I could make is to turn off the "simple file sharing" on the Windows XP box. This is mostly from a security point of view as it resticts who you will let see your shared files. Also be careful what you share, you never know who is looking at it.To turn off simple file sharing:From My Computer Window > Tools > Folder Options > View >uncheck the last entry "use simple file sharing (Recommended)"

If you are conecting the computers directly you need a crossover cable.If however you are going to connect the computers via the router you need to have two patch cables.

I don't know much about networking but I'm trying to learn more by setting up my home network. I have one desktop computer running Windows ME and one desktop computer running XP Pro, I'm using a router and a cable modem to get them connected to the Internet. My main goal is to be able to share files between the computers so I don't have to be copying files from one and moving it to the other etc....

My first question is am I gonna be able to do this without a Network Hub?

I've tried different things such as assigning static IP addresses to each computer in order to connect from one to the other. But it didn't work. Can anyone give me any pointers?

Everything should work immediately.
I am currently having four computers at home (mine, my wife's, my son's and my daughter's).
Each one is connectet to the internet through the router.
So, the router gives a DHCP address to each one (the address keeps continously changing). And I have no problem sharing files. Everybody shares my files and my printer. Two computers are XP, one is winME and one is win2k.
If I did it, you should be able to do it too.
So, please give us more details, tell us what does not work.
Or maybe you already have the solution and forgot to keep us informed ?
Regards
Yordan

my 2pcs connected to router and internet but canShare Files Between The Computers ?

my2 pcs connected to router on (straite through) internet is available on 2 pcs and printer sharing also posible but I have no  file sharing  between my 2 pcs.

-reply by Amry

How to setup file sharingShare Files Between The Computers ?

On My Network Places, click setup network

Connect the computers to router and click next & so on until

the "select a connection method" appears, select the second and click next

fill the fields then next then select your workgroup's name and next, enable file sharing then finish, restart

go to the drive/folder you want to share right-click the properties , sharing tab the check share this folder, apply, then ok.

do this on both comps,

to view shared files, go to my network places, on the left side, click view workgroup comps

then open the comp you want to view files

-reply by julz640

File SharingShare Files Between The Computers ?

Hi I have a laptop and I'm on the road most of the time. My assistant is usually at her home and using the computer.

How can I access her computer to use some of the files? And how can she access my laptop when she needs one? While we are still working on the computer. 

Thanks

-reply by Gabriel

workgroup Vs DomainShare Files Between The Computers ?

My question is that...How to share folder from workgroup computer to others domain computers?

when I access domain computer to workgroup computer folder the error is showing no logon server is available OR you do not have permission to access ip address

So, what I do?...Any suggestion.

-question by kishore negi