xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian1405241474

Favorite Mac Os X Apps

CocoaMySQL- the best SQL adminstor tool that i have found i love it has a nice look and is very easy to use.Mplayer-like it alot more then quicktime and it playes any movie file that i want aside from WMV:(WeatherDock-gives me my 10 day forcast from weather chan with out going through the trouble of opening safari going to TWC entering my zip and waiting im a dial up user so those mondain tasks bore me.Abiword-100x better then Microsoftword why you ask for one its free because its opensource and i wouldent own anything with microsoft's brand on it.PS7-yes thats right i still use photoshop 7 havent made the jump to CS and doubt that i will anytime soon PS7 does everything i need it to doand now for the two most used programs on my macIchat-for obviues reasonsToast 6 Titanium-best cd/dvd burning software for the mac imo

hmmm... i like the dashboard in tiger, as well as quicktime pro, final cut pro HD and microsoft office for osX

Well, photoshop, cause its well...photoshop.Firefox is still my favorite browser. It is more compatible and I like the interface better than safari 2. iJournal, cause I am a livejournal *****. and Mail 2. Cause its a fantastic mail client and I love it.Oh, adium. The duck is stupid, so I use a fireball, but as a chat client it rocks.

My favorite Mac app would have to be fink aswell. Being a noob to the whole linux world, fink makes it very convenient for me to learn how to use the amazingly powerful Terminal the OSX has built in.For those who are not linux geeks but instead preffer books and movies, Delicious Library makes a great addition to your apps folder. <hxx delicious-monster.com for the Apple apps, i can not seem to go back to firefox ever since i upgraded to Tiger and fell in love with Safari 2.0. Mail is very convenient and iChat is just fun to use (i love the speech bubbles :mellow:.I would love to see google release Google Talk for mac. It looks very clean and would be a nice addition to a gmail account.If you are bi-lingual such as myself or just simply curious of other cultures, "CocoaJT" might be a fun app for you. It is a cocoa-built app that allows you to watch online streams of many tv programs from all around the world.Maybe some more reccomendations later :blink:-Ryan

Hands down, the Terminal is my favourite application on here. Anything I want done, I can do from there. Before I used OS X, I religiously used OpenBSD. typically, I close the finder and use the terminal and the dock to get to whatever I need. But, other than the terminal...I use nano as my text editor. I like it simple. I like to have no need for a mouse when I type. It just gets in my way. I use iChat. I have adium, but I have gotten really used to the "bubble" format of iChat. Safari is my browser of choice, but for what I can't to in safari, I have Deer Park. iTunes is the music player of choice, but VLC i use for playing my movies. What else do I use...I used Tinkertool to try and make the default system font Chicago, or whatever they changed the name of it to, and found out I can't make the menu bar change fonts. I'd happily use Basilisk II, but it's not ported to x86 yet, and it crashes when you try running it with Rosetta. Oh yes, and for making my music, I use easy beat, audacity, and quicktime (to record vocal tracks). Now i just need to wait for Basilisk II to be ported to OS X/intel so I can use System 7 and MacPaint, buy a real Intel Mac, and then I'll be golden :mellow:Oh, and who can forget the dashboard? So handy..

<snip...>

MacJournal for archiving all my writing into different Journals, and VooDooPad Lite for notetaking is just miraculous. I wish I could pay for VooDooPad though, I think there's a lot of functionality in the paid version that would really clinch VoodooPad as my main note-taking program. Like ability to export to .txt and sketching.

<snip...>

1064301782[/snapback]

MacJournal does look interesting. I use Circus and Ponies' Notebook myself. It has many of the same features but is a little more oriented toward taking notes than diary/blogging-style journalling. Its clipping features (a Service to clip text, images or documents directly to a notebook) really make organizing odd bits of information much easier. It also has the blogging capabilities of Mac Journal. I have not tried Voodoopad.

I have not used Cyberduck before, but looking at it, I think I will now. I usually use command-line ncftp, but a good GUI client does have its uses.

iTerm is a program I would have trouble parting with. It is a Terminal replacement that supports tabs and has a lot better session control. When I am doing administration work, I use it heavily. My desktop gets too cluttered with Terminal windows otherwise. I have also found that its terminal emulation seems to be just a bit better.

I use Mac as long I use computers, but I found the reason to stay with the Panther/Tiger Features Exposé and Dashboard!First one is not an application, but it is so useful, I don't know how I lived without it. It brought drag and drop to a new level. As a laptop user, you have your hands on the keyboard the whole time anyway, so you can switch between applications while dragging round your selection.How did you set up your Exposé?I have the "arrange windows" (soo lovely) on "fn", the "expose desktop" in my right bottom corner and the others on F-keys becauset need them that often.As for the dashboard: It's sad that there are only few Europe-related widgets (even the daily history widget focuses on American history), but I love the cite-widgets (simpsons, family guy, seinfeld, etc.)and the dictionary access. I wish there would be a good translator available as a widget, like ultra lingua or dict.leo.orgAs browser: Firefox, because it is standard-compliant.As instant messenger: Adium, because iChat does not support ICQ well enough and the orginal ICQ client isn't being developed. And by now I got some MSN-buddies too.Does anyone know a good "multiple clipboard"-addin? Which really fits into Mac OS X and has an intuitive design? at the moment i stick to copying text to an always-open text edit file and later taking it again.Oh and I love the "Preview" Application, a feature I missed a lot in Mac OS 9. I would like to have a mini-preview viev, like in Windows XP sometimes. I like the way, OS X displays previews when you select something, but sometimes, when searching for a film or a photo, it would be good (even though these tasks are performed by iPhoto and iTunes now, so there is not a big need for it anymore.)iTunes has lost a lot of its magic, because they screwed up the design and are only developing it to expand the music store and the new iPods. They changed from 4 to 5 to 6 in one month!So far so good,Ruben

All I know is Mac is making it particularily hard on me to switch to a mac after 12 years of working on windows PC. It was bound to happen eventually, but I didn't expect it so suddenly.Personally, of the built in mac software I like Garageband and Notes. Both of which are of actual use, my complaint lies with iWeb, which seemingly even though you get iLife, there isn't anything you can do in iWeb unless you buy their account.Evil Crap Monkeys.

A list of updated apps for Mac OS for 2011:

-Make sure you have the latest update of Mac OS X which, at the time of this writing, is Mac OS 10.6.7.

The App Store for applications will be installed on to your computer containing many programs that are both free and that you can purchase.

I will list some of the free ones that I use and find very useful and are technically my favorite applications.

Disk Inventory X: This shows the size of your disk and all exactly how much space your applications are taking up, including your music or movie library.

FireZilla: One of the faster FTP applications for the Mac OS.

TextWrangler: A more advanced TextEdit program which can do much more and is also a Programmerâs Text Editor and a Unix And Server Administratorâs Tool with many advanced features.

Google Chrome: Amazingly fast web browser from Google. A must have that, in my opinion, beats both Safari and Firefox. Extensions available are slowly increasing and catching up to Firefox.

FireFox: An amazing powerful open-source web browser that embarrassed Internet Explorer and still continues to laugh in its face.

SimplyBurns: A simple but powerful application that burns CD / DVD media.

VirtualBox: A program that allows you to run Windows or Linux on a Mac computer.

VMWare: A slightly more advanced program than VirtualBox that allows you to run Windows or Linux or any other OS on a Mac. [shareware]

Calibre: An application that manages your Ebooks and is able to convert any format into any other format. (Epub to PDF, etc.) [shareware]

VLC Player: A must have on top of QuickTime 7 or X. This video player can read nearly any movie format and supports and makes subtitles easy to use. This app can also increase the regular sound of the audio by up to 400%.

HandBreak: An application that can change DVD formats into something more readable, especially good if you want to put your movies on to an iPod or iPhone.

Onyx: Go beyond what the Mac OS allows you to do and change many settings for enhanced productivity and increased speed for the Mac.

MacJanitor: Clean your Mac of many unwanted and unneeded files in order to speed it up.

Skype: Whether a Windows or Mac User, Skype is just a must have for anyone looking to communicate through video.

UnRar X: This allows you to unrar compressed files that are in the .rar format.

SimplyRar: This allows you to compress files or folders into .Rar format.

FreeMind: An amazing mind mapping program that allows you to get your thoughts and ideas out and on to a page that can extend beyond your imagination.

Genius: A flash cards program that tests you and helps you memorize anything you need to memorize.

DeTune: Have some music files you have on your iPhone or iPod that you need to get off and back on to your computer? This is the program to do it.

FaceTime: Not quite sure why Apple is charging for their own useful application. The link is to a free download anyway. This program allows you to talk with people who have iTunes, iPhone, or the iPad 2.0.

Tor: A program that will hide your proxy and allow you to appear elsewhere in the world. Great for hiding your IP address and your identity.

NeoOffice: Although OpenOffice.org will work with Mac OS, this program was designed for the Mac. It is equivalent to Microsoft Word and gets updated often. Very good program to have.

Transmission: This is probably one of the best and native Torrent clients for the Mac.

QuickTime 7: QuickTime 7 Pro for the Mac is an amazingly powerful editing tool that puts its newer sibling, QuickTime 10 to shame. While QuickTime 7 is free, the Pro version will cost you, but it is very worth it when it comes to editing videos or making them. [shareware]

AppFresh: Very useful program that checks your applications to see if they are up to date and will help you keep those apps up to date.

Audacity: Great software for audio support and editing.

Perian: A must-have for adding all kinds of video support to the Mac OS.

MacFuse: A must-have for any Mac user who uses Linux or Windows. Adds fully functional file system support (i.e. NTFS).

NTFS-3G: A must-have for any Mac user who uses Windows -- allowing for Mac to move files back and forth between Windows and the Mac via Bootcamp.

Paintbrush: A paintbrush program for Mac OS.

Winclone: Create an image of your bootcamp drive in just a few minutes for quick backup.

DOSBox: A DOSBox emulator, mainly for being able to run games there were made for DOS.

The rEFIt Project: rEFIt is a must-have program that is a boot menu and maintenance toolkit for EFI-based machines like the Intel Macs. Use it to boot multiple operating systems easily, including triple-boot setups with Boot Camp.

QuickSilver: an application that lets you reach any program, folder or file in a few keystrokes and contains a large library of plugins.

Todos: This application will show you every application you have on your computer in icon-view and will allow you to launch any of those applications.

I have listed probably the most useful and up to date applications as of 2011. If you have any to add, feel free to add more.

Edited by Xarex (see edit history)