xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
deviant youth

Straightedge A Healthy Way Of Life does anyone follow straightedge?

I am here to inform you on a healthy way of life called straightedge. it started back in the 80s as a movement that many hardcore kids took where they make a pact with themselves to start living a healther lifestyle of no drinking, no drugs, be a vegitarian or vegan, and no casual sex. And to this day many teens and adults that listen to hardcore music are following this pact of living healthy. so the next time you are walking down the street and see someone with a black bandanna and X's on thier hands don't think they are some lowlife drug addict they are Sraight edge and they are most likely more healther than you are.

Personally I dont like straightedge kids, not because they dont drink or do drugs or what the stand for.But the fact that all the ones I know at least try and force what they believe on you. Fair enough if you dont want to drink and do drugs thats your choice but dont force it on others, its just annoying.Personally I dont think hardcore music is healthy though, from what Ive heard its angry and depressing, not the stuff you should listen to. I think to be happy you should listen to happy music, yea the occasionaly sad song aint so bad, but if thats all you listen to I think it puts you in a bad state of mind.Also I dont think drink, drugs and casual sex is that bad, true if you binge its not going to be good at all. But in moderation drinking makes you socialable, gets you friends makes you feel happy, weed makes you relax and smile. As long as you dont go OTT you'll be a perfectly round individual. Many of the great thinkers loved to drink, do drugs. And im not talking this century, Socrates was a lover of drink and young men, dont forget though that in ancient greece men were considered superior lovers to women and gay sex was common place.Noone can deny that this was a great society but casual sex, drugs and drink were everwhere!Also casual sex, again in moderation, isnt a bad thing. Us guys get depressed and low if we dont get some, and for some people, me included getting a girlfriend isnt a good option (I personnaly wouldnt go out with anyone I know as I have issues and I just dont think anyone is worth it).Also its a good way to experiment, become a better lover, and so when you do settle down you will have a good relationship.There is more than just physical health, mental health counts for a great deal, and in this highly strung society we live in I dont see anything wrong with using drink, drugs and casual sex as a way of relaxing and coping with stress. Plus I find it a little bit insulting that you are 'more healthy' than the rest of us. I work out and do run and im very healthy, my friends skate and play basketball, I also rock climb and play drums (which does require considerable stamina for some parts). I also drink, I smoke weed with friends and have casual sex whenever an oppourtunity arrives with someone who I would do. I dont go overboard, I dont smoke weed everyday, once every couple of months maybe, sometimes more like when I went to amsterdam. I drink more than I smoke, when my friends go out I join then, I drink, I dont go overboard, yea sometimes I get a lil too drunk, but I havent passed out for a long time as I know how to control my drinking now. I use protection most of the time when having sex, if I dont its because im too randy to go fetch one and trust them not to give me something.Im still a very healthy, socially adept, popular person, im looking at an A in my maths A level and a good grade in my physics one, my biology lacks true but to be honest its not a concern of mine.]Dont get me wrong, im not insulting what you believe, like I said I respect what other people believe (as much as id like to change some beliefs). People can loose their way with drink drugs and sex, so straightedge is a safe way, if you know you have an obsessive personality or cant control yourself then it could well be a good way of avoiding future problems.Also about vegetarianism, I personally love meat, although I still eat some vege food too (I do like vege sausages from time to time) and I dont see anything wrong with it. My mother did try vegetarianism, I cant remember what she said, I can remember pro's and cons of whats she experienced. I think she said she felt healthier, but she felt tired. I personally blame her diet, as I know she's not the best of cooks bless her. My sister is vege too which is why I eat vege food sometimes. I see it as a choice, I dont see any gain apart from maybe personal feelings. Maybe its some kind of placebo, I dont know. But I have no strong view either way, I think vegan's do go a little OTT. But they arent really hurting anyone or themselves (provided they have a proper diet) so I dont see anything wrong with it.Please feel free to criticise what I have jotted down. Its a lil messy I think. Im always open to new ideas so dont think ill immediatly reject anything you say :P

I'm fairly straight edge. Except the whole vegan/vegetarian thing. I don't do drugs, I don't drink anymore. I used to mess around with girls casually, but all it ever did was make me depressed. I have found life to be much better/easier to cope with when I'm thinking straight. I'm no hardcore kid. I listen to piano rock. The music really has nothing to do with how you live. I agree it is bad to force your opinions on other people. And yes, history does show that alternative lifestyles are so much fun. But isn't stealing fun? Isn't there a thrill as you gently squeeze the trigger and feel the gun recoil...Um... The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes stuff that's not good feels great. Otherwise people wouldn't do it. Why else are there serial killers? They feed off the thrill of the kill. Sometimes, as antiamerican as it seems, you have to force yourself to suffer in order to get stronger.*note* I have never killed anyone or stolen anything. It was all speculation. Hehe

Well... I wouldn't be able to beat people for eating meat like my friend do so probably I wouldn't also find my way in this... and as I saw last time he had those X's on hands... (well... I just don't get it how someone can kick someones *bottom* for doing something that he doesn't like... this is STUPID... also walking on sreets with those signs maked witch cheep marker... why not add one don't... don't wash???) this is what I see... and I don't like people that do something like this...

what you all are seeing is the hardline kids the straight edge kids that take it too far that are taking a good idea and becoming extremist about it like PETA. Most straight edge kids dont care what you believe in and dont go out and beat someone cause they dont believe in straightedge. Me, what you guys believe in what you believe, im not going to argue with you all that what i believe in is the complete right thing. And I used hardcore as a example cause most if not all staightedge kids listen to hardcore. Im just trying to live a healthy lifestyle im not saying that drinking, doing drugs, and casual sex is bad i just dont do it.

What I don't understand is why people must take things to extremes. No drugs, booze, or sex is just sorta... ok....Granted, I essentially live a straightedge life by your definition, yet I don't see myself as straightedge. Why? Because I simply have no interest in most booze(it tastes bad), most drugs (my biology is weird, so most drugs don't work or work badly anyway), and I have a girlfriend so I have no interest in casual sex. What I am saying is: why the need for the hard rules? If you are with friends, have a tasty drink. Eat some steak now and then. Enjoy a non-addictive drug in a responsible and well informed manner on the weekends if you like that sort of thing(like most psychedelics).My experience with straightedge folks is that living in moderation is hard for them. So, they take the healthy extreme rather than the crash and burn one. Which is a good choice. Still, being able to cope with more ambiguity seems a better objective(after clearing yourself out of the junk).

I don't smoke, I don't use drugs, I don't do casual sex, I drink only in parties (very little). I eat everything, including meat. So I can be called half-straightedged I think.

Using drugs & smoking are not good ideas at all. It's only slow killing of yourself. BUT, most activity is not healthy:

breathing air is not healthy, becouse the air is pulluted;

doing sports is not healthy, when the load is to big. Sitting at home and watching TV is not healthy too, becouse you are not doing sports then! Finding correct balance is really hard...

Eating food is not healthy too, becouse each type of food has it's plusses an minusses... To little fat is not healthy, to much fat is dangerous too.

So all our life is just poisoning of our bodies. That's why I understand those, who lives "with full features", like drugs, drinkind, casual sex etc.

I chosen another, "more healthier living way", but I don't think that I'll live longer than others...

Sometimes I feel different than others. For example: if my friends gone to smoke, I staed at home. I also prefered staying at home, when others were going to drink. Just to drink... :D But these times I'm joinig the company, going to parties, having fun, dancing...

Everyone knows my habits now, and I'm respected for having my own lifestyle. I'm respected for being different ant same at the same moment. And I like it :D

I know, that maybe I'm loosing many nice moments of my youth, but you can't have everything you want anyway, right? Drugs, smoking is only interesting for first few times, then it may become addictive, and even a must. :(

Wow... It's been few years since last time I participated in a straightedge thread.

First of all I want to set some things straight (no pun intended). There's lot of crap about straightedge (or sXe as it's commonly abbreviated).

1. Straightedge is a person who is into punk/hardcore music, doesn't drink, doesn't some, doesn't do illegal drugs and doesn't sleep around. And who considers him/herself a sXe.

2. You don't need to be vegetarian or vegan to be sXe. Many people are, but its just because vegetarianism/veganism is another thing that many hardcore bands are about and sing about. Notice that there are lot of vegetarian/vegan people in the hardcore scene who do drink/smoke/do drugs.

3. Straightedge is not a movement! Or it shouldn't be. It's a personal choice.

4. Its small fraction of straightedges who go and beat people who aren't. Just certain per cent of people are dumb enough to do such thing. Just don't think all are.

5. The sex thing... sXe doesn't mean selibacy, it means that you don't do night stands and such.

I do consider myself a straightedge and my definition is the five points above. I'm into hardcore, I don't drink, don't smoke and don't do drugs. I have sex with girls that I consider I'm dating, (and I'm dating them one at a time :( ). All my friends do drink, some smoke and some have done drugs. I don't mind, its their choices. I don't push my ideas to them, I'm willing to discuss if someone asks but I never preach.

For me being straightedge is party because its healthy sure... But it's also protest. I don't approve what certain companies are doing so I choose not use their products. And besides I'm nuts enough without any substances.

And about hardcore... Someone said that it's not healthy for you because it's depressing blah blah... Now this isn't true. Just check out bands like 7 Seconds or Good Clean Fun (both sXe btw). It doesn't get any more positive than that! Some hardcore bands might put their message out in a bit harsh way but they're usually about a positive change in society, taking care of each other, the environment and animals. For me hardcore has brought whole lot of stength and hope to my life.

And people... don't mistake thinking some bands that actually play metal are hardcore... The line is sometimes hard to see but it's there. You just have to follow the scene for couple of years. :D

The metal **** is the on that's depressing...

http://www.i-mockery.com/winky/default.php
That's a neat little site I found about the militant mentality that surrounds sXe kids. The fighting, the gang beatings... sXe is just a scene. Like emo and ravers, it will always exist. Its just a group of lonely people looking to be nonconformists just like the others. They call themselves straightedge to become part of an exclusive group. The x's are in a way, a members only jacket.
I'm not bashing the lifestyle, as I am fairly straightedge, I just don't feel that they need to set themselves apart because of it.

What I find most amusing about straightedge kids and vegans in general (read: IN GENERAL) is the sheer hypocrisy of them. "I'm vegan! Look at me! I don't kill ANY animals!" all the while they are wearing their LEATHER jackets and LEATHER boots. I guess its bad to kill the cow, yet its perfectly ok to WEAR the cow. Now, granted, not all vegans and sXe'ers are like that. That's why I said "the vast majority" of them.

Hypocricy is pretty normal in ANY defined group. Its just the way of things, I think. It would be nice if it would go away, but careful rational evaluation of one's lifestyle on a day to day basis really defeats the purpose of a 'lifestyle' ideal or movement. Thats because people come to different decisions if they do that evaluation, meaning they go different directions, and pretty soon there isn't a movement or 'lifestyle' cliche anymore.

i used to be a straightedge kid... i was really into it, although, i've never been one to tell other people what to do... i don't drink or smoke or even have sex and im a vegetarian, but i dont consider myself straightedge anymore... i dont call myself anything because i dont feel the need to put myself in a group anymore... im not punk, or hardcore, or straightedge, or catholic, or anything... im just geeky me... and im proud of it....for everyone that is straightedge, more power to you! be proud of who you are (although you probably already are) and don't let anyone doubt your faith in yourself! keep on being yourself and if that means not being straightedge anymore, so be it.... to thine own self be true!

A straightedge is one who doesn't drink, smoke, dope and doesn't have casual sex?!! WTF?!! Then I've been a straightedge for a very long time. I never smoked, I never boozed, never doped and casual sex?!! I HAVEN'T EVEN HAD NORMAL SEX! :D It's been 6 years since I last ate an egg and 8 years since my last non-vegetarian meal. I don't push people to become vegetarians... I only keep telling my friends who smoke not to because it isn't good for their health ("You keep smoking that **** and you're gonna die before you graduate you stupid motherf*****"-that's wht i tell them, but i say it very nicely :P ).So, given the above facts I guess that makes me pretty much a straightedge, although this is the first time I've actually known about the existence of such a community.Oh yea... I listen to hardcore rock as well. I also listen to soft rock, classic rock, acid rock, punk rock and heavy metal :P.