xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Umbra

Worlds Oldest Search Engine.... And possible the worst one.

I've found, according to the webmaster of the site, the oldest search engine. This search engine isn't real good; I searched for Google and Zelda, but nothing came up. Anyways, it was made in 1993 (or so they say, I checked and it said it was created in 1997). Does anyone have one that is older? Oh, here is the link...

http://www.aliweb.com/

perhaps...but you can never tell if it's just a hoax lol. Are search engines really that recent? '1993'? Wow...technology and advances have really been soaring ^_^

What about Excite.com that is the oldest one that I can think of. Its been around for a LONG time, they even have a usless messanger that no one uses. And they used to have Excite VP which used to be cool but they make you pay now.

I've found, according to the webmaster of the site, the oldest search engine. This search engine isn't real good; I searched for Google and Zelda, but nothing came up. Anyways, it was made in 1993 (or so they say, I checked and it said it was created in 1997). Does anyone have one that is older? Oh, here is the link...

http://www.aliweb.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, i think one of the oldest search engine is "Encyclopædia Britannica" but is just analog...

The oldest one I can think of is Askjeeves.com; it's the only one I knew of before I started using Google several years ago!Does anyone know how old it is? I poked around the site but it didn't say.

I don't know that this search engine is the oldest or not but I am 100% sure that this is a very very bad search engine. I have searched words like Microsoft , Yahoo and a lot of results come but not Microsot.com or Yahoo.com. And even worse when I serached Google not a single result come. What type of a search engine it is??????

Smells like a hoax to me...since I'm pretty sure lycos and yahoo came out within 1994...it'd make sense why someone trying to fake being the first would just happen to choose 1993...plus lycos/yahoo both actually work. Officially yahoo was more of a directory then a full net search engine back then, but thats irrelevant...you could still search large masses of pages for what you seek. Anyways yea, it could be legit but I would imagine yahoo/lycos hold the crown as the first (at least first public one, I assume some tech's had search engine whirring along well before then on private systems)

Since Iam Using internet It was Yahoo .... Just in 1 year or so google overtook yahoo..! As for Aliweb i seem he is saying truth.. He had made it first but His presentation wasnt nice so the Script of the search engine..! So aliweb still remains in its old place intact..!

Hmm, I'm sure there have been searching engines older than that. It all depends on what you call a search engine. There have been search engines that search around your computer for files before there were ones that search on the web.Oh, this reminds me... I remember when my dad used to have this book of all the sites on the Internet (with the capital I)... It's kinda weird now...

You know... talking about this oldest search engine thing, what's the use of it anyways? I mean being the oldest search engine doesn't mean the website is any "cooler" or "popular". Especially aliweb.com. They state on the title bar so clearly that they are the oldest search engine<-- I'm sorry my keyboard is messed up and i accidentally pressed the "add reply" button please delete the post above. -->You know... talking about this oldest search engine thing, what's the use of it anyways? I mean being the oldest search engine doesn't mean the website is any "cooler" or "popular". Especially aliweb.com. They state on the title bar so clearly that they are the oldest search engine but their search engine doesn't work well at all. Basically it is run on advertisments and my guess is that the only way it gets people's attention is to state that it is the world's oldest search engine. Do you agree?