xisto Community
spawn_syxx9

Religion Vs Faith (belief) Faith is often blinded by religion

So I have seen some religion/faith topics and I felt that I should describe what I believe there is schism between the two words. Faith is belief. It is personal and it is truly the strength of the person coming out to pay homage to whatever it is that they believe in. Religion is a congregated position where you and others believe in the same thing. Now I truly believe in Faith. I despise religion. Faith for me is needed by those who I guess need that extra boost in their existence to try to explain it or they just feel more comfortable believing in something. I personally am very athiest and only believe in my personal ability. If I do something, then I believe that I should accept the consequences of that action as well. If I steal I would be the first to turn myself in which I was many times, but not for stealing. Religion for me are people coming together and expressing their similar beliefs which in the meantime might be ok, if gives them that ego boost and then the congregated religion starts acting as if their opinion means anything to anyone else. I don't mind people going to church and expressing their faiths.. that is their business. But I despise it when they use that opinion to start doing things that others may find offensive. IE Christians or Hindu's or even Muslim's who try to convert. If someone wants to convert they will find you. You don't have to advertise yourselves. I also despise those who create desicions based upon their religions rather then what would actually be good for humanity as a whole. I'll give an example. This woman in my english class tried, in vain, to morally judge me because of my past. This was what I was talking about. When I was 13-15 years old, I was part of a gang (yes I was very weak minded in those days and while I don't repent because I am actually proud I was in a gang and of what I did I realize I was in it for the wrong reasons) and we literally ruled the area where we did business. Well we lived in a very Hispanic town. Not to sound judgemental but the Hispanic culture doesn't really treat women very well in general and there are exceptions to that. But anyway so 5 of us were walking along this house. We heard screaming, we heard a baby crying, and we heard a man say, " I am going to shoot you *BLEEP* and that damn kid of yours! " well we would have just walked away because it happens a lot where this was. But then I and my friend heard the click of the hammer to a shotgun. In instinct we rushed and kicked the door down. This man was holding a shotgun up to his baby's (less than a year old no dbout) head while the mother was trying to protect it. Instantly I put the woman and the baby behind me (in hindsite not so smart because he could have shot me and killed them anyway, I should have had them run out the door) while my friends all pulled out their guns and leveled it at the guys head while I spoke saying, " By the time you shoot them and me, you'll be dead too mofo..."Long story short.. we saved the kid and the man was put in jail.. but.. like I said I was telling this in english and this woman said I was in the wrong for barging into the house. She said that as a Christian I should have minded my own business and walked away.That is my story on why I despise religion but respect others to have their faith no matter what it is as long as they do what is good for humanity, not just themselves.

Religion is a congregated position where you and others believe in the same thing.

Now I truly believe in Faith. I despise religion. Faith for me is needed by those who I guess need that extra boost in their existence to try to explain it or they just feel more comfortable believing in something. I personally am very athiest and only believe in my personal ability. If I do something, then I believe that I should accept the consequences of that action as well. If I steal I would be the first to turn myself in which I was many times, but not for stealing.

Religion for me are people coming together and expressing their similar beliefs which in the meantime might be ok, if gives them that ego boost and then the congregated religion starts acting as if their opinion means anything to anyone else.

I don't mind people going to church and expressing their faiths.. that is their business. But I despise it when they use that opinion to start doing things that others may find offensive. IE Christians or Hindu's or even Muslim's who try to convert. If someone wants to convert they will find you. You don't have to advertise yourselves.

I also despise those who create desicions based upon their religions rather then what would actually be good for humanity as a whole.

I'll give an example. This woman in my english class tried, in vain, to morally judge me because of my past. This was what I was talking about.

When I was 13-15 years old, I was part of a gang (yes I was very weak minded in those days and while I don't repent because I am actually proud I was in a gang and of what I did I realize I was in it for the wrong reasons) and we literally ruled the area where we did business. Well we lived in a very Hispanic town. Not to sound judgemental but the Hispanic culture doesn't really treat women very well in general and there are exceptions to that. But anyway so 5 of us were walking along this house. We heard screaming, we heard a baby crying, and we heard a man say, " I am going to shoot you *BLEEP* and that damn kid of yours! " well we would have just walked away because it happens a lot where this was. But then I and my friend heard the click of the hammer to a shotgun. In instinct we rushed and kicked the door down. This man was holding a shotgun up to his baby's (less than a year old no dbout) head while the mother was trying to protect it. Instantly I put the woman and the baby behind me (in hindsite not so smart because he could have shot me and killed them anyway, I should have had them run out the door) while my friends all pulled out their guns and leveled it at the guys head while I spoke saying, " By the time you shoot them and me, you'll be dead too mofo..."

Long story short.. we saved the kid and the man was put in jail.. but.. like I said I was telling this in english and this woman said I was in the wrong for barging into the house. She said that as a Christian I should have minded my own business and walked away.

That is my story on why I despise religion but respect others to have their faith no matter what it is as long as they do what is good for humanity, not just themselves.

59069[/snapback]

Well, religion is not so much a group of people with the same beliefs. Religion is a ritualistic term, i.e. to bate religiously would mean every day. Religion in christianity comes from certain denominations always structuring their services the same and nothing ever changing so it becomes a ritual. also, about the woman. she was stupid. A christian would have helped, assuming they were not just using christian as a title. a true christian would do anything for humanity, just as Christ did. People are just too caught up in the world of me to help their fellow man nowadays, so helpful people are never seen anymore. But i do understand your points, and this is one christian's view on the issue

Spawn, I agree with your title but I thought you were going in a different direction than what was written. I am a christian but I think that religion does get in the way of faith. If you are "religious", whether you're a christian, muslim, etc. then you could get lost in following a program of ritual and form. I believe that Jesus came to reconcile our relationship with God, not to initially begin a religion. Now, please understand I believe in what we call "corporate worship" and gathering together. The Bible encourages this. And I think, at least in the protestant circles, that ritual and sacredness should be explored and applied more because when we pray or come together we believe that we are in the very presence of God. One thing you said that I don't agree with is the idea that people should not try to convert other people to their beliefs/religion. As far as christians go the Bible specifically states that we are commissioned by Jesus/God to do this. (reference: Matthew 28:18-20, "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'") And I can speak from personal experience that if my parents (mostly my mother) didn't instill Godly principles in me and later on nurtured by other christians friends, influences etc. who knows where I'd be. The whole notion that we should not project some of our ideas/beliefs is unsettling for me because we are a by-product of many ideas/beliefs set out by our culture. And most of the time the world's influences are pale compared to christian values so why exclude christianity and tag onto destructive ways in our society. We do not live in a vacuum...even being an atheist was at least partly constructed from things outside of yourself, that influenced you. With regards to the woman, I think you did whatt every christian is called to do...lay down your life for another. The Bible confirms this: "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13. So, I am very proud of you for such an act and despite her response of ingratitude I commend you for doing the right thing. It's what Jesus did for all of us and so even God uses atheists to make a difference.I didn't write this to set you off or produce a negative tone, but I believe in what I've said and just wanted to express my ideas.Take Care,Byrdhouse :angry:

Webster's dictionary defines religion as:

1: the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS

4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

while faith is defined as:

1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions

2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

Now, from what I gather from what Webster says these two words mean is that, for most people of a religious bend, religion and faith go hand in hand. Now, one does not need to take part in organized religion to have faith in their religion. Now, as far as I see it, Hitler's belief that the Jews were the heart of the problem of the Aryan state was his personal religious belief. I'm not saying that a lot of people agreed with what he had to say, but it was still his beliefs and his "faith", as it were.

I believe that organized religion has its place and purpose, and my personal belief, though it conflicts with many here, is that the services that many have is not for an outward showing of who's a Christian and who's not, but rather a hearkening back to the first days of that religion when people had to band together to protect each other, since as far away as 100 AD, Christians were still being persecuted by Jews as heretics. So, it's more of a confidence builder of being among others of like mind, and strengthening each others' faith.

Now, as for those of the (mostly) Christian standpoint on things where they think that they have to judge every word or action that everyone else does, (and since everyone's been quoting scripture, I'll take up that ball as well), here's a few things I've found from reading it both in the English translations (NASB) as well as from the original Greek.

Now, the one that everyone and their brother beats to death is Matthew chapter 7 verse 1: "Do not judge so that you will not be judged." However, in the way that the original Greek was written, the sentence didn't end until the thought did. Thus, in the original translation, the first verse read as such: "Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you."

He's not saying not to judge, but rather cautioning that the measuring stick you use on others will be used back to you. Therefore, if you judge others harshly, you'd better be prepared to have the same done to you. However, I do not believe that that gives anyone, liberal or conservative, the right to shove their beliefs, whether I agree with them or not, down my throat. You see, I see a difference between explaining your position to a person once, and letting them make up their mind about the topic at hand and those who would constantly badger someone simply because they don't agree with their point of view. I have no problem whatsoever with the former but have a very big problem with the latter, whether it be someone who I agree with or not. Noone has the right to tell someone they're wrong simply because they "say so". Now, for those of them who have book, chapter, and verse (whether it be a biblical book or a law book) to back up why they think the other person is wrong, I say go for it, but only explain once and then give the other person a chance to decide.

Now, I know I got off on a slight tangent here about this kinda thing, but I think it was well warranted.

I think 'religion' in general is a hoax.. To me i think it's a way to brainwash people. I can't distinguish between a cult and a religious group. Another thing.. I'm tired of Jehovah's Witness people knocking on my door every darn sunday. I have to close my blinds for them to get the message I do not wish to be bother. They promote their belief like its a concert or suttin. Pfft!

I think 'religion' in general is a hoax.. To me i think it's a way to brainwash people. I can't distinguish between a cult and a religious group.

I agree on that, most organized religions tell people what to think instead of letting people follow their own heart. (yeayea sounds cheezy:blink:) And if you don't wanna believe what they say you gotta believe they'll brand you as a maniac, satan worshipper and a danger to "our" society.
It's a shame the majority thinks that way but then again this was allready organized for hundreds or maybe even thousands of years.

Yeah maybe I'm a maniac but hey... I love it! :)

Peace

Hey woooow. I just wanted to say I'm really proud of you for doing that! like wow.. Hahah.Btw... I'm not trying to like be rude or anything.. But.. I'm Christian.. And I believe that wat you did was completely the right thing! you just saved peoples lives! who cares about barging into someones house... You saved lives. That was the RIGHT thing to do!. However... I'm thinking that mayb this girl that sed you did the wrong thing has got her look on life as a Christian all wrong... Mayb she is a fundamentalist Christian... (mayb you should find out lol). Buuuuut. Well from my point of view as being Christian.. You did the right thing because you are meant to encourage people to save lives :S.. Hahah I think its an awsum thing you did. Very proud! lol.But I agree with you on the whole you don't like religious people like chucking their beliefs down your throat. I HATE that!..., I think you need to just make sure you know that only some people are like that... Mostly Catholics... (but I might b saying that being I'm bias hahah - not Catholic - might not be the Catholics I dunno. (not to be mean to Catholics hahah)) buuuut... To me being Christian is accepting other peoples beliefs... They hav their own beliefs and they can make their own choice.. Sure from my point of view I just want to help people find God because I think its amazing... Just because ive found that connection and I want people to go to Heaven... But I'm not going to force my opinion... If they want me to share something or help them or something I will help... But I'm still trying to learn more about religion and Christians myself...Anyway. I hope you don't think all Christians are like that. We really arent! lol.Hope I didnt waste your time. XxReplying to spawn_syxx9

I belive we should differenciate between faith and religion as faith is something private, but religion is totally connected with church, which is more of a political institute. Church is tool to control and rule people. Church tells us what is good and what is bad and puts a lot of pressure on people who think differently. I do not see any problem why people fight to protect their religion and try to convert other people. Because in the end the God is the God no matter how you call him, no matter which name you choose, the difference is only in rituals. But the church made a big deal of rituals, gave rituals the main role in religion, whis is i think put people far from the real purpose of being religious and has nothing in common with faith.

Edited by annabuzh (see edit history)

Religion vs. faithReligion Vs Faith (belief)
To spawn_syxx9,

You are definitely correct that there is a difference between faith and religion.  Faith is what you personally believe about God.  Religion is an organization for sharing that faith.

As for the comment of the woman who criticized you for your actions...She is wrong.  What you did was the christian thing. Maybe you didn't do it in a christian way, but you did put your own life in danger to protect the weak and innocent.  If that isn't a christian act, nothing is. 

I'm currently doing some part  time informal research into the topic of Faith vs Religion. Yours is the first page I've come across, so thank you for that. And I also wanted to give you kudos for doing what you could and saving lives. That took courage; and courage doesn't come from bravado or just anywhere, but rather faith. Blessings and Peace

-reply by Jeff Williams

Well, religion is not so much a group of people with the same beliefs. Religion is a ritualistic term, i.e. to bate religiously would mean every day. Religion in christianity comes from certain denominations always structuring their services the same and nothing ever changing so it becomes a ritual. also, about the woman. she was stupid. A christian would have helped, assuming they were not just using christian as a title. a true christian would do anything for humanity, just as Christ did. People are just too caught up in the world of me to help their fellow man nowadays, so helpful people are never seen anymore. But i do understand your points, and this is one christian's view on the issue

I am a Believer and I understand what you are saying. I love your "testimony". Regardless of your gang activity, you responded to a need and took action. That lady was a typical religious person and at least at that time did not understand the dynamic of what being a "Christian" really is about. That's how logical people know Christianity IS a religion. Mostly a bunch of people going to church on Sunday and blaming all things negative on Satan. I commend you for sticking to your guns. A lot of Church people will be surprised who will be in heaven (if there is one-I've never seen it, I'm going on faith) and who won't be.

I hear the term "Catholic Faith" and I've always thought that was odd. There is a Catholic Church which I was raised in and have stayed connected to in order to keep peace and harmony with my parents and in-laws, but that bothers me a little. I feel like I'm going through the motions in church and have to struggle to see a connection between the symbolistic rituals and what Jesus would do. I want to be free to be true to myself and stop acting like a sheep. The Catholic church is the only part of my life that I do that, in fact, I probably need to be more of a conformist in business sometimes and less irreverent. I truly struggle with following the Catholic Church because after 51 years of it I still don't get it and I don't see how the church can set laws down for people, are those Gods laws or laws of one of the largest organizations on the planet. Sometimes the Catholic Church is like dealing with the IRS, Verizon, AT&T or another big bueracracy, it definately does not represent freedom

I believe Faith resides within all of us. We feel it in the beauty of the sun rising and falling every day. Faith is honest and non-judgmental. It nurtures positivity and provides strength from within each of us when we need it most. It knows no ritualistic behaviors for it is pure with no motives or intentions. What is created in the name of Faith is called religion. Religion is mans need to control and manipulate everything and everyone. To judge by a set of man-made values that deem humanity as a failed attempt at a man-made perception of perfection. I was raised baptist and married into a catholic family and clearly understand that religion rules while Faith loves unconditionally. 42 years and I am still astounded at the behavior of humans, especially my family, based on their "religious beliefs." I agree with "Guests" comments, man-made rules of manipulation may provide solace for those who need to be ruled but it seems more like a business and not a belief.