xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jguy101

My System Specs It said you could brag about them....

Which Linux OS (Free) would you recommend?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could try Ubuntu Linux

If you dont want to install an OS, you could run an OS from a Live CD. I that case, try Slax or Knoppix (looks a little ugly)

P4 3 Ghz HT

Intel D865GBF Mobo

512 SD RAM

Geforce MX 4000 series

SoundMAX card with Creative 2.1 speakers

LG CD RW

80 GD HDD

Sony CM-1 usbmouse and Ikey keyboard

This is my computer:3.00 Ghz Pentium 4 HyperThreaded - 800 Mhz Front Side Bus1024 Mb PC3200 Ram250 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro Sound Card7.1 Surround Sound Speakers128 MB nVIDIA graphics card. ( I bought my computer 2 years ago, and they released 256 MB cards the following year :-( )I find myself dreading having to use anyone elses computer!

Computer 1:-2 GHz P4 Celeron CPU (Actually 1.9 GHz...)-512 MB RAM-30 GB internal HDD-80 GB USB 2.0 External Drive-Built-in CD-RW/DVD-R-External DVD+/-RW-Intel "Extreme" Graphics 2 (I know it sucks, even for a laptop, but I'm stuck)-Dualbooting WinXP Home SP1 and SuSE Linux Pro 9.3System 2 :- 1.023 MHz MOS 6510 CPU- 64 KB mainram- 1541 Floppy Disk Drive- VIC-II Graphics Chip- SID Sound Chip- GEOS 2.0 GUI OSI may use system 1 more, but I love system 2 1000x more...

Man I feel some what inadequate with my Duron 1800 (it is the 266 version). Any way my system is:System:Asus A7V600-xATI Radeon 9700Duron 1800\266512MB\333\2700Mylex EX2000 RAID2x Seagate 73GB SCSI U160 HDD running in RAID 0 (Attached to separate Channels on the MylexAdaptec 19160 SCSI Card1x Seagate 73GB SCSI U160 HDD (attached to 19160)Adaptec 29160 SCSI CardSeagate Viper 200 Ultrium I Tape Drive (attached to 29160)Liton SOHC-5232K DVD\CDRW2x FDDEven with a ArcticCooler Fan on the Processor and a AcrticCooler VGA thingy on the Graphics Cards it still really noisy (if you stand out side on a quiet night you will probably be able to hear it in the distance). Come to think of it I could do with some advice on this. The 2 RAID drives are in Hot Swap bays that have tiny fans (which make all the noise). I tried disconnecting them, but it set of the alarm. I tried putting a resistor in series and it set of the alarm. I can only assume that it is actually counting the revs (rather than just checking if they are spinning). How on earth would I trick the circuit into thinking the fans were spinning at the correct speed?? (I though about disabling the alarm, but I rather not).

How can you have a amd and a pentium. hmm...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

VERY EASILY, (Dual mounted processors, I recently ordered a Mother board that supports dual processors) Although with dual I will still use AMD 64 bit, its the bomb. One thing I don't get is how can you use a 10 gig hd... thats horrible I'm 16 with dual hd's one 100 that I split mounted (50/50) and one 70 gig that I keep all my important stuff on just incase my 100 dies out (for a backup) any ways I Run on

PC:

AMD Athlon 64 1800 (1.8 Ghz) (Good choice:D)

1 G RAM

CD-RW/DVD-ROM burner and regular

100/70GB hard drive

I gotta go I will edit with Vid card gfx and more when I get back!

2.8 GHz Processor80Gb HD254 MB Ram (don't ask how it got it, I don't know)32 Mb Graphics.I don't really know it's specs as it isn't my computer.

Guess what I've got at home.. lols.. my very first computer.. a Sinclair ZX Spectrum+The specs are:3.54 MHz Zilog Z80A CPU16K RAMDisplay: 32 x 22 character text display256 x 192 pixel resolution8 coloursSound: 1 channel, 5 octavesI/O: Z80 bus, tape, RF televisionStorage: External tape recorder This was absolutely fantastic technology when my folks got their hands on it.. Haven't used it for a while though... wonder if it still turns on...lol Then in school we got on to the BBC Micro.. the specs for this were:---2 MHz 6502 processor (quite impressive for a micro at the time)---32 KB ROM (16 KB OS, 16 KB language)---32 KB RAM (16 KB in model A, 64 KB in model B+)---Screen modes (text resolution in parentheses):---mode 0: 640x256 (80x32), 2 colors---mode 1: 320x256 (40x32), 4 colors---mode 2: 160x256 (20x32), 8 colors + 8 "blinking colors"and the fantastic thing about this was that you could program the things in basic.. they used to read both tape as well as the large disks.. exciting times.. really spent a lot of hours at the computer center just to get round to playing a few of the newer games with flashing colours.. absolutely fantastic.. Then, the first computer I was able to afford was a second hand IBM 700 XD Notebook.. it had 32MB Ram and a 4 GB harddrave.. AND a CD player.. now how cool was that.. ran it on Win98 .. got me through my University and I managed to submit all my papers on time.. but all the while I'd dream of getting a better system.. so I began putting in hours doung odd jobs.. then some regular jobs.. and in about two months I managed to save enough to buy the computer I'm still using... a Toshiba Satellite 3000 X11.. its a good computer and has served me well over the last 4 years.. the specs for this are:20GB HDD, 512 MB RAM, 1.2 GHz Celeron, DVD Rom, External CDRW, extra external PCMCIA 8GB HDD.. have been running it on XP pro.. but I've just finished getting hold of and burning my first set of Debian and Mandrake Linux.. which I'll be installing after I've taken a backup of all the data on my comp.. TODAY.. hahaha.. I'm nervous.. Another year or so I'll think about upgrading my system again I suppose.. :( R.A.

Well, I guess I have three machines. My main rig is:Athlon XP 3000+1024MB 2700 RAM (512MB is 3200)GeForce4 Ti 4200 (overclocked to 4400)240GB Hard disk (80GB Western Digital & 160GB Seagate)Then I've got two machines I recently acquired for free one is a AMD K6-2 550MHz and the other is an AMD K6-2 600MHz. Don't know what I'm doing with them, original idea was make a small cluster just for kicks with a friend that has a couple lying around, but I think they'll just be a seti farm for right now.

lol you specification are almost the same as my computer that i am using right now. and im typing this on it. well my specs are:intel celeron - 600mhz best u on that10gb - i have to save loads of stuff on cd to make more spaceand 300 something as i upgraded it with a usable slot.it still works fine but very slow. its even slows down when i download at my maximum speed. lol!!!!

Lets see what i have here shall we lol...[Computer 1]1.20ghz amd processor512mb ddr memory40gb hard drivesome fairly old but works good graphics card[Computer 2]2.01ghz amd processor512mb ddr memory200gb hard driveati radeon 9600 xtthose are my computers :(