xisto Community
iGuest

IPB vs. phpBB

I've gone to some IPB forums were it seems they allowed file attachment options, even music and videos files. Like this one! :rolleyes: Does phpBB or SMF have this option? Because so far, I've only been able to upload pictures in the avatar gallery.

Yes...i think SMF has this option. i dont know abt phpBB though. maybe trekkie can help.

SMF definately has this, there are two good ways to do it, one is to upload the files as an attchment and install the download center mod which will be on the SMF soon or is but a little hidden, but to download itm, the authors own page has it http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

A better way if you depend on downloads a lot more, is to get "Coppermine" the Photo Gallery software, you can with that use it for a complete downloads system for any file types, you dont even need the photo bit, its pretty cool and very easy to integrate the two, literally one line of code you copy and paste and then you are done its so simple. I believe the auto-install package is even done.

phpBB dont do feature requests for 2.0.X updates and 3 is still quite a bit off.

So SMF can do it just aswell if not better than IPB is. :rolleyes:

The standard phpbb 2.x does not have file attachment.Although, there is a mod available which allows files to be uploaded. Some "free" phpbb forums have done this too, and give you limited upload space for your board. Whether they let you upload music/vid files I'm not sure The new phpbb 3.0 (Olympus) will have file attachment as standard - though you'll have to wait for it to be released :rolleyes: regardssnowcrash

As long as you know how to edit files, phpbb is the best. The mods available from http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ and the ones from https://www.phpbb.com/mods/ are very good, however the best mods are already included in phpbb 2.0.14. (well at least some of them).

I tried SMF and it is too clustered. The layout of the admin CP is awful. At least with phpbb it loads in a simple frame on the left and opens in the main window.

One good point about SMF is that it appears as though you don't need any knowledge to install addons. If that was the case for phpbb. :(

phpbb 8/10
SMF 6/10

phpBB 2.0.14 is NOT modded, it is a vanilla install, none at all, its just phpBB not a modded version, no different to the rest of the 2.0.X series.Clustered? uh huh, how long did you spend with it? Theres a line between power and bloat, SMF provides power at an acceptable cost, wait until you see phpBB 3, youll see what clustered means :( and youll learn the meaning of bloat.....Hands up who likes frames?SMF 9/10phpBB 5/10

I didn't mean it was modded. And it does have slightly more or different features to 2.0.13.I only spent 30 mins on SMF and just got flustered with it.I just installed my forums (not using the Fantastico, as it is 2.0.13, not .14).I don't personnally like frames and strongly advise against it, however, the one used in phpbb I think is extremely adequate and best used. Although, it might be a better idea to use a slightly different method, by using a portal type system.I have had a go at phpbb 3 on the demo on phpbbhacks, and I thought there was far too many seperate pages. Most of them should be coupled together.Although phpbb doesn't have sub-forums (unless you put in a mod) and SMF has (i think) it still seems to have a better number of mods, templates etc.I think that in overall status, SMF and PHPBB are both equal strengths. PHPBB has certain aspects to it that make it excel in certain areas and so does SMF.It just depends on what type of board you are looking for.

I didn't mean it was modded. And it does have slightly more or different features to 2.0.13.

I only spent 30 mins on SMF and just got flustered with it.

I just installed my forums (not using the Fantastico, as it is 2.0.13, not .14).

I don't personnally like frames and strongly advise against it, however, the one used in phpbb I think is extremely adequate and best used. Although, it might be a better idea to use a slightly different method, by using a portal type system.

I have had a go at phpbb 3 on the demo on phpbbhacks, and I thought there was far too many seperate pages. Most of them should be coupled together.

Although phpbb doesn't have sub-forums (unless you put in a mod) and SMF has (i think) it still seems to have a better number of mods, templates etc.

I think that in overall status, SMF and PHPBB are both equal strengths. PHPBB has certain aspects to it that make it excel in certain areas and so does SMF.

It just depends on what type of board you are looking for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well phpBB probably has more mods themes and add on then any of the others, you can pretty much make it what you want and if you use EasyMod many of these mods are as easy to install as clicking through a few screens. The attachment mod for phpBB2 is Attachment Mod try that and it is quite versitile, and does allow Flash, Video, Streams and more this is all done with the control panel in the Administration. You can even determine which forums attachemtns are allowed and who is allowed to use attachments in those forums... It is pretty sophisticated really...give it a try.

phpbb has one major advantage: it's free! to use ipb for more than a short amount of time, they've turned it into payware...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FREE it's for me! Nuff said "Steve DeMarcus" NukeXtra

I tried the IPB/Nuke...only works with one version of IPB and only offers PHP-Nuke 7.4 (Lazy or understaffed or both)

While on the subject, is it possible to offer an RSS feed of new topics posted to users who want them thru phpBB2?

I read on the SMF site in the features section that one can "Export data in RSS format"

Export forum data using XML/RSS
    * Latest members.
    * News.
    * Recent posts.

Is this functionality possible or available in phpBB2 or via an additional mod/hack ?